Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With the ELK M1 does the Serial connection have more then the IP?
The difference between ELK Serial Connection and IP connection.

I imported someone's config that had an ELK serial connection. For the field "ElkM1_Serial.PhysZone006" there are Normal, Trouble, Violated, Bypassed and Unkown statuses. 
But with my IP connection, I only have for the PhysStatus and for the other type of status I only have False, True and Error.

Is this an inherit limitation of the IP connection versus the serial one?

Thank you
There's no difference between the two. In fact the IP connection works through the serial port, so they are effectively identical. I'm assuming maybe you didn't configure the zone as a security zone?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I went into the Driver client, went to zones, and each of the zones area are set as "Type = Security"

I think it has something to do with the type of widget that it only listed those option. BUT when I went to edit the imported widget I actually do have more options under SEC#. They are Secure, Not Ready, Violated and Unkown. So Secure would equate normal, Violated would be Violated, but what would show the Bypassed state? In the PhysStatus type I only have Unconfigured, Open, EOL, and Short

Thank you
Could it also be related to a V1 or V2 driver thing? My templates use an older user modified V1 driver with some extra features baked in around counters and have those fields still. I'll likely never change to V2 for the elk driver as it'll be just too much work to find and change all the old fields to the new ones.
Yeh, it could be that. You definitely want to use V2 compatible drivers always if starting now of course.
Dean Roddey
I am working off of the V2 drivers. I decided to put a zone into bypass mode, and it shows up as "unknown" in the Driver side on CQC. But I have a few zones that are in "trouble" state and they are also showing up as "unknown" in CQC. How can I have CQC differentiate between the two?

Thank you
Keep in mind that V2 drivers aren't going to show you every possible state supported by the hardware. The point of V2 drivers is to provide a reasonably portable subset, that you can always count on being the same. The V2 concept of a security zone only includes Secure, Not Ready, or Violated. Anything else is Unknown.

https://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/CQCDoc...=/Security

That's the tradeoff for being able to create content that will translate from one device to another.

The driver can have non-V2 fields, and the physical status is of that sort. But there can be a lot of zones, so I didn't try to have two different fields for every zone, one V2 and one device specific. It could be done, but it's not there now.
Dean Roddey
Thank you. So what would be the best way for me to go about this?
My goal is that I will be able to see from the GUI the current zone status and bypass a zone directly from the GUI if needed. So there is no need to have an actual alarm keypad at all.
Would it be better for me to use a V1 driver, but then that's a step back. Is there a way for me to figure out what all the potential options for the Elk alarm system are for the zones, and then customize the V2 driver? I see there is an option when I configure the driver to "implement custom values fields", can I make use of this somehow?

Thank you
Let me think about it. Maybe we can add bypassed to the list of supported V2 zone states. If it's not supported on a given system it just won't ever show up.
Dean Roddey
Perfect. If that would work then great. If you need access to an ELK panel for any testing just let me know.

Thank you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serial Ports edge540 5 28 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: zaccari
  Lost Power - Elk connection problem Ron Haley 7 812 03-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Parsing Serial Trigger data Bugman 3 1,742 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Global Cache 180 serial port compatibility? MikeA 2 1,355 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Marantz AV7702mkII loses connection MikeA 1 847 07-18-2016, 10:20 AM
  Serial cables wusupwchu 9 1,869 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  (RA2) driver lost connection lleo 17 3,539 03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
  Is it possible to use the vizia RF + 3 via a USB to serial adapter? ghurty 5 1,980 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Last Post: batwater
  GC-100 Serial ports and Reciever potts.mike 6 1,703 01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
  Connection issues: Nuvo GC and Clipsal C-Bus CABrouwers 30 5,079 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM