Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather
(02-09-2019, 10:48 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: OK, I went back and looked through the info about and situation hasn’t changed. Here are the terms of service:

https://darksky.net/dev/docs/terms

One of the things you cannot do:

“direct your end-users to sign up for their own API account (The Dark Sky API not intended to be used directly by end-users)”

So clearly the same restrictions apply before and if we did a driver for end users to use with an account they got for themselves, we would be doing the above. So I cannot see how we can support their service with the terms they are insisting on.

Seems odd they state that, yet they allow Node Red to use this method, as well as OpenHAB, Home-Assistant, Grafana and I am sure many other popular services/apps out there. I guess I look at CQC as more of a development environment so its easy justification for me ;-)
I'm guessing that those folks just never asked. And, being open source stuff not owned by anyone, who could they possibly sue anyway?

I would of course argue that CQC IS a development environment and that each customer is creating his own application and hence should have is own account. But that would be walking a fine line in our case, since there IS someone they could sue, and he looks a lot like me.

Of course all you guys should complain to them about this, and try to make this distinction. Maybe they'll relent.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
For everyone using the WU driver, there is a ray of hope in the WU world. The Amazon price for the Ambient Weather WS-2902A is only $169.99 and WU has committed to continue to issue API keys to people with their own stations, contributing to them. I honestly consider this cheap compared to many of the parts of my system.

Quote:https://amzn.to/2tnNVd9
(02-15-2019, 10:11 AM)zaccari Wrote: For everyone using the WU driver, there is a ray of hope in the WU world.  The Amazon price for the Ambient Weather WS-2902A is only $169.99 and WU has committed to continue to issue API keys to people with their own stations, contributing to them.  I honestly consider this cheap compared to many of the parts of my system.

Quote:https://amzn.to/2tnNVd9

I don't see a driver in CQC for this. If we were to go this route would it be possible to have CQC read directly or would we still need to go through WU?
Thanks
George M
You would still go direct through WU, the weather station simply affords you the privilege of continued use of the API. I was wondering why mine didn't get cut off. I've had my Davis weather station publishing to WU for a decade now...
I apparently misfired on my previous post of WU not working.  Apparently my internet was on the blink for the better part of the 15th and barely communicating with anything, including the WU data.  It is back up and operational and, as of now, still getting the WU data, but do plan on doing what Zaccari recommended and purchasing a weather station if it does go bye-bye.
(02-16-2019, 07:29 AM)batwater Wrote: You would still go direct through WU, the weather station simply affords you the privilege of continued use of the API.  I was wondering why mine didn't get cut off.  I've had my Davis weather station publishing to WU for a decade now...

But wouldn't it be better to get the info directly and not deal with WU at all?
Thanks
George M
But it could only provide current conditions, not any sort of forecast info.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(02-17-2019, 05:38 AM)George M Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 07:29 AM)batwater Wrote: You would still go direct through WU, the weather station simply affords you the privilege of continued use of the API.  I was wondering why mine didn't get cut off.  I've had my Davis weather station publishing to WU for a decade now...

But wouldn't it be better to get the info directly and not deal with WU at all?

What Dean said, I have both
Well perhaps we have finally reached the end. My weather hasn't updated since yesterday (shows current as of 1:08pm 3-5-19) and now it disconnects every time it trys to poll the service (at least I assume that is what is happening).

I've read the thread and it seems that OpenWeatherMap.org is probably the next best solution. Anything I'm missing?
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weather template help zane 20 8,558 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Weather images vanished pjgregory 1 1,501 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: khill
  Weather Radar potts.mike 22 6,120 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: kblagron
  Weather Underground Issue? sic0048 5 2,156 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
  Weather questions royalj7 2 1,409 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Radar weather web widget crashed infviewer Ron Haley 12 4,061 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Weather Underground Driver zra 5 1,848 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
  Weather Underground driver Sunset is Sunrise rbroders 8 2,746 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  4.6.0 - Weather Channel Icon Mark Stega 9 3,162 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  Uploading to PWS in Weather Underground ControlFreak 25 5,348 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM