Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather
We talked about Dark Sky earlier. Looking at their site now, it appears that maybe they changed things since I discussed this with them. Maybe they actually listened to my whining.

I'll put it on the list to look into a driver for them.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
+++1 for DarkSky
Agreed, I have been loving their service and been working on setting up a replacement historical weather database using node red and influxdb since the whole WU debacle. Their precip forecasts are spot on and their API is nice!
OK, I went back and looked through the info about and situation hasn’t changed. Here are the terms of service:

https://darksky.net/dev/docs/terms

One of the things you cannot do:

“direct your end-users to sign up for their own API account (The Dark Sky API not intended to be used directly by end-users)”

So clearly the same restrictions apply before and if we did a driver for end users to use with an account they got for themselves, we would be doing the above. So I cannot see how we can support their service with the terms they are insisting on.
Dean Roddey
The odd part of this is that we can develop our own drivers and *could* get our own APIs. It's a sad state of affairs that data is seen so much as a profit business.
All of you feel free to complain to them. Maybe if they realize they could actually make more money, they might try it.
Dean Roddey
I sent them an email. I wonder if they'll read/answer. For anyone else interested in emailing, the terms have developer at darksky.net at the bottom. I would argue that their term of developer really doesn't extend to scripting as drivers in CQC currently exist. The only part that really excludes us is "The Dark Sky API not intended to be used directly by end-users", unless we did the script ourselves. I did point out that paying for data at a rate of $0.0001 (USD) per individual API request is no where near a show-stopper. I do think that an API where a developer could allow users to subscribe and pay directly would be nice but I don't see CQC being able to meet this need easily.
I told them they should just do an individual subscription at $100 a year or some such, which would include, say, 100 accesses a day. That's a bit over once every 15 minutes, which would be plenty. That would only be a once a year payment, so it would be no big ongoing burden on them, and the access rate would be quite low, so it would hardly be any big burden on their infrastructure. A few thousand users would be $300K a year. That may not be a huge amount of money, but it would be a lot for that amount of effort and it would gain them a lot of good will amongst the DIY crowd. If it worked well and this service got a good reputation, they could probably get a good bit more individual users than that.

Of course they are looking at it that, in their scheme, there's a server at company X that gets the data and then that company's servers handle the real traffic to their users, leaving Dark Sky to only have to maintain infrastructure to handle that more 'wholesale' level of requests. But still, I can't imagine that the likely amounts of access that the above would generate would be remotely a strain on them.
Dean Roddey
Since the WU Driver is going offline each time it tries to poll the data, I am assuming the Feb 15th cutoff is in place. Such a shame, I had quite a few things linked to this - irrigation, a weather report via TTS every morning at 8am, and a Beta Sign with weather data. I personally hope they lose their a$$ on this decision. I am definitely switching my phone app from WU to something else, just so I don't support their advertisers anymore.
(02-11-2019, 08:49 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I told them they should just do an individual subscription at $100 a year or some such, which would include, say, 100 accesses a day. That's a bit over once every 15 minutes, which would be plenty. That would only be a once a year payment, so it would be no big ongoing burden on them, and the access rate would be quite low, so it would hardly be any big burden on their infrastructure. A few thousand users would be $300K a year. That may not be a huge amount of money, but it would be a lot for that amount of effort and it would gain them a lot of good will amongst the DIY crowd. If it worked well and this service got a good reputation, they could probably get a good bit more individual users than that.

Of course they are looking at it that, in their scheme, there's a server at company X that gets the data and then that company's servers handle the real traffic to their users, leaving Dark Sky to only have to maintain infrastructure to handle that more 'wholesale' level of requests. But still, I can't imagine that the likely amounts of access that the above would generate would be remotely a strain on them.

Dean:  Maybe check out Ventusky.com and see it might work for CQC it seems like they may allow it based upon their FAQ if contacted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weather template help zane 20 8,546 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Weather images vanished pjgregory 1 1,493 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: khill
  Weather Radar potts.mike 22 6,111 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: kblagron
  Weather Underground Issue? sic0048 5 2,150 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
  Weather questions royalj7 2 1,404 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Radar weather web widget crashed infviewer Ron Haley 12 4,056 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Weather Underground Driver zra 5 1,846 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
  Weather Underground driver Sunset is Sunrise rbroders 8 2,742 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  4.6.0 - Weather Channel Icon Mark Stega 9 3,156 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  Uploading to PWS in Weather Underground ControlFreak 25 5,344 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM