Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather
(01-01-2019, 06:32 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Oh, I was talking about OpenWeatherMap, not Dark Sky. I think those Dark Sky guys really only support companies, or that's what they told me, at a fairly hefty price.

From their page the only thing I can see that may cause them to limit is "Can I require my users to sign up for a developer's API key?
No, your end-users should not sign up for Dark Sky API keys as a means for you to circumvent the daily cap of 1,000 free calls. The 1,000 free calls per day are intended for one developer or company to explore the API".

But I sent them an email saying that I am playing around with a HA system that lets us talk to weather systems via APIs, would I be able to use my own API key or would the developer have to give us one.
We wouldn't give you one either way. We would have to have a company key. There's no way we would put that company key in the driver, since it would get pulled out and anyone could use it. They fundamentally assume that the company is going to have its own servers somewhere out there, and that their customers will talk to that, and that server will talk to their weather service. Basically, like everyone, they are phone app oriented really.

So, if they won't allow for individual keys, there's no much that can be done. Of course you could complain that they SHOULD allow individual paid accounts. I already did. Maybe it'll sink in if they hear it more.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Jan 3rd and so far the WU App is still working, keeping my fingers crossed.
Interesting.  I just started planning to set up a weather station w/ WU as part of a recent move.  According to WU, people with stations will not be cut off:
Quote:If you are a current PWS (personal weather station) user/key holder, you will continue to have complete, uninterrupted access to your data as well as a limited range of additional data, such as short-term forecast, through the Weather Underground API as well as through the Wunderground web site.  If you have a PWS (or many PWS's!) currently reporting to us, your access for that data is, and will be, free.
I think that originally wasn't necessarily going to be true and people get pretty snippy about it, as you might imagine. I'm proving you with the free data that you turn around and make money on, and you are going to charge ME for it? People would have dumped them in droves, and suddenly they'd have to start paying for all that data themselves, and the foot would be in the other mouth.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Yes, there were quite a few people that said they disconnected as soon as the announcement was made. I imagine the interest in sending PWS data to WU went in the toilet. I know I won't send data. I'm much less interested in the forecast as I'm unsure where WU is getting their data for that. I know I can access MY data in CQC easily.
(01-03-2019, 09:06 PM)kblagron Wrote: Jan 3rd and so far the WU App is still working, keeping my fingers crossed.

You may want to uncross your fingers now... They just extended shutdown day  until Feb 15th.

• Based on the response to the previous announcement as we neared year end, we have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.

• All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.

• All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/we...api-update
Good comparisons of alternative services:

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments..._has_been/
Dean,
Should probably update this page on website and add new OpenWeatherMap driver for those looking to buy CQC
https://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/CQCDoc...=/Overview
thx
After looking at openweathermap and Dark sky api I would rather have 7 days of good weather updated once every 3 minutes(Darsky)  then just 3 days of info updated every second(openweathermap)

Darksky seems to have so much more data for free.
You can test your location weather accuracy.
https://darksky.net/forecast/40.8462,-74.2013/us12/en

To get 7 days weather via api  URL(my location)(put your key in xxxxx)
"https://api.darksky.net/forecast/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/40.8462,-74.2013?exclude=minutely,hourly"

Not sure why they don't have a include daily... but excluding minute and hourly does a great job of just returning what we need.

Has a 7 day forecast and alerts(flash flood,etc)
( FYI time in unix time    http://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.php)
ie        "time": 1548997200

See attached txt file of output

Attached Files
.txt   Data.txt (Size: 12.48 KB / Downloads: 3)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weather template help zane 20 8,546 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Weather images vanished pjgregory 1 1,493 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: khill
  Weather Radar potts.mike 22 6,111 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: kblagron
  Weather Underground Issue? sic0048 5 2,150 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
  Weather questions royalj7 2 1,404 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Radar weather web widget crashed infviewer Ron Haley 12 4,056 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Weather Underground Driver zra 5 1,846 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
  Weather Underground driver Sunset is Sunrise rbroders 8 2,742 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  4.6.0 - Weather Channel Icon Mark Stega 9 3,156 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  Uploading to PWS in Weather Underground ControlFreak 25 5,344 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM