Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather
I already talked to them a while back. They have no concept of a free tier or an individual account. They only cater to companies who will pay wholesale. And, like most everyone, they basically only really understand 'apps'. If you are running some cloud service, you can make your customers go through your servers and get the data which you pull down from their servers and then hand out. You can control what customers do how much access and charge for that, so that you can cover your costs for that level of access.

But that's not how it would work in our case. We'd have to embed our access key info into the driver and basically anyone on the planet could grab it and post it and we'd be on the hook for that access. As is often the case, these companies have no idea about the needs of automation systems. If it's not a phone, they've probably never heard of it. It's either that or get into a whole new raft of complexity and up-time requirements to get it through our server. And, even if we did, we probably woudn't get enough people to pay for it to even cover the basic access costs.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Too bad, as their service looks nice. I see that if you do not put a credit card in, it will limit you to 1000 calls per day, so I guess thats basically a free tier. Is there any way to have the driver on the individual's users CQC server prompt for the API key (like it does for other services) and just use that to call home (each CQC device individually?)

Thanks
That's really a developer account. If they found you doing regular access for the long haul, they might just shut you down.
Dean Roddey
Speaking of weather... I'm sitting here on Jan 1st with the window open and in shorts. Though, sadly, it looks like the next couple months aren't going to be so kind.
Dean Roddey
(01-01-2019, 12:25 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Speaking of weather... I'm sitting here on Jan 1st with the window open and in shorts. Though, sadly, it looks like the next couple months aren't going to be so kind.

Lucky you, here it was nice and cold today. Still warmer then usual but too cold to go have fun. With the openweathermap, it is only showing me three days in the future, is this because I am using the free account?
Yeh, they only provide three days worth.
Dean Roddey
Thank you. If I would go with the basic paid version, is there a way to add a field in the driver to limit the number of calls it can make? For example only one every five minutes? I would then be able to share that one API key across multiple CQC servers.

Than kyou
You wouldn't need to do that. There is only one driver in the system that is getting the data and it's handing it out to the clients. And it already only does once every 30 minutes I think. But the problem is that it will require a completely separate driver because it's all different data.

If enough folks were interested we could do that. Of course I need to test it regularly and I didn't want to to have to keep paid account around all the time when I'd hardly ever use it. I asked them if they could provide some sort of really low rate developer accounts and they said no.
Dean Roddey
Dean I would be open to assisting with supporting the testing. What they do with the hyper local precipitation forecast is like black magic...
Oh, I was talking about OpenWeatherMap, not Dark Sky. I think those Dark Sky guys really only support companies, or that's what they told me, at a fairly hefty price.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weather template help zane 20 7,403 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Weather images vanished pjgregory 1 1,240 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: khill
  Weather Radar potts.mike 22 5,328 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: kblagron
  Weather Underground Issue? sic0048 5 1,832 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
  Weather questions royalj7 2 1,176 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Radar weather web widget crashed infviewer Ron Haley 12 3,487 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Weather Underground Driver zra 5 1,581 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM
  Weather Underground driver Sunset is Sunrise rbroders 8 2,296 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  4.6.0 - Weather Channel Icon Mark Stega 9 2,696 11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  Uploading to PWS in Weather Underground ControlFreak 25 4,723 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM