Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effective radiora2 range???
Any Lutron gurus out there?

I’m considering getting into Lutron as an eventual replacement for existing UPB lighting.  Looking at the radiora2 setup and am currently going through the online training.

Something that confuses me a little... 30 foot radius doesn’t cover much house, but I suspect that’s a little underrated given residential construction.  They also list a max of 60 feet between a main and aux repeater for rf connectivity. Well, it’s not like they are each going to handshake at 30 feet and make a connection, so I don’t get that.  Is the effective range between repeaters different than the effective range between a repeater and a device?  My media closet is unfortunately at one end of the house. I’m pretty sure it would be 75 feet to the garage door. 

So my second question is... what’s the real world effective range of a repeater to devices?  If it’s 40-50 feet, I could probably hard wire one to my kitchen above the cabinets and that would cover my needs. If it’s truly 30’ish feet, I’m going to need two. 

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentL...9-227a.pdf
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
(12-15-2018, 09:01 PM)rtarver Wrote: Any Lutron gurus out there?

I’m considering getting into Lutron as an eventual replacement for existing UPB lighting.  Looking at the radiora2 setup and am currently going through the online training.

Something that confuses me a little... 30 foot radius doesn’t cover much house, but I suspect that’s a little underrated given residential construction.  They also list a max of 60 feet between a main and aux repeater for rf connectivity. Well, it’s not like they are each going to handshake at 30 feet and make a connection, so I don’t get that.  Is the effective range between repeaters different than the effective range between a repeater and a device?  My media closet is unfortunately at one end of the house. I’m pretty sure it would be 75 feet to the garage door. 

So my second question is... what’s the real world effective range of a repeater to devices?  If it’s 40-50 feet, I could probably hard wire one to my kitchen above the cabinets and that would cover my needs. If it’s truly 30’ish feet, I’m going to need two. 

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentL...9-227a.pdf
This is one of those things that's going to vary widely depending on construction.  I'm running about 60' between main repeater and farthest device without trouble.  But I've only got drywall and wood in between.  Concrete and steel would likely reduce this a lot.  Probably why Lutron gives a conservative 30'.

I haven't tried aux repeaters.
Les
Well, this is probably one of those “let’s try it and see” things. I moved from Meraki to Ubiquity and specs said I’d be a little tight in the garage, but signal is great. I had budgeted for a second AP (and the requisite wire pull through the attic) but I’m doing fine without it. I’m high bidder at the momet on a main repeater so we’ll see if I have a new project tomorrow afternoon.
Flamin' Noobie...
That's what I did with a plan B of moving the repeater to the center of the house if need be.
Les
Repeaters create a 60 foot diameter bubble, (with 30 feet radius ) but repeaters can be spaced 60 feet from each other. So with a main repeater and 1 aux repeater you can cover a house that is just about 120 feet long and 60 feet wide, and maybe 3-4 story tall.
If you have a home bigger than that, please contact me and will design a system for you :-)
Devices may work even if a few feet out of the range, the 30 feet from repeater is a rule where 100% reliability is assured.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-...st53739865
Ok, if I understand the link correctly, repeater to repeater connectivity is robust at 60’ from each other. And repeater to device connectivity is robust at 30’.

If so, I appreciate the clarification. I’m also looking for a competitive vendor for parts. I’m going to start ordering switches 1-2 at a time (less painful even though it’s cheap psychology). Any recommendations? Happy to support vendors active in community forums.
Flamin' Noobie...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron RadioRA2 - where to purchase? finish.06 5 2,354 11-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Improving wireless range? Dean Roddey 23 5,734 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Last Post: wuench
  RadioRA2? SamVimes2 13 4,942 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Seeking simple and cost effective RF Remote Solution crosen 4 1,890 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Last Post: datadawg