Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Know any mini-PCs, <50W, for a MS
(12-06-2018, 09:05 AM)ellisr63 Wrote: The NUCs are much smaller if space is a concern. They also have no fans so they are silent.

I would *LOVE* to use a NUC. Space is a huge concern. Alas those things are like $600ish.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
(12-06-2018, 09:49 AM)IVB Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 09:05 AM)ellisr63 Wrote: The NUCs are much smaller if space is a concern. They also have no fans so they are silent.

I would *LOVE* to use a NUC. Space is a huge concern. Alas those things are like $600ish.

Man the prices have jumped! I paid around $200 for my i5 Asus last year, and under $300 for my i3 NUC which was bought right when it came out. You can pick up a Celeron NUC for pretty cheap, but I do not know if it has enough power.
tia, Ron

My HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Celeron NUC, (2) Furman rack conditioners, APC HT conditioner, (2) APC Battery Backups, Panamorph UH-480, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, DIY B&O amp modules, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable, DIY audio rack, Klipch 402  horns.
I found an i5 HP small form factor refurb for $270, $299 with tax. That's good.

Looks like either the hard disk is going, or the data bus. Taking 4 full minutes to get to windows screen, then 2 minutes to login. And any disk based operations pegs the disk on task manager. That's bad.

Will play around again today but almost definitely taking it back in 2 hours. Sigh.
Returned that one, but alas the options were limited for a new one. They had nothing in the $200ish range, at $300 I could get a giant tower that just wouldn't fit. I was going to build a new NUC but they had literally just sold the last celeron yesterday, and the last lower power pentium *while* I was there. They only had an i3, which all-in would have been $600 for ram/etc. Plus a multi-hour affair to set it up.

I found an i3-8100 refurb for $400, opted to just get that. Exceeds power consumption desires, and $200 more than I wanted to spend but it's done. I have to get the zWave working again, xmas lights up now and our old school timer is apparently broken. I need something, no time to wait for eBay or newegg...
Your luck is like mine. Lol
tia, Ron

My HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Celeron NUC, (2) Furman rack conditioners, APC HT conditioner, (2) APC Battery Backups, Panamorph UH-480, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, DIY B&O amp modules, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable, DIY audio rack, Klipch 402  horns.
One bit of good news, I put that machine (Dell Inspiron 34-something) on a Kill-a-watt. Turns out it uses 17W at idle, haven't seen it go more than 30W and that too just for a burst, typical usage is 24W. And it's strong enough that I can put my SQL*Server on it too.

*AND* my zWave lighting is finally working again!

Well alrighty then.
(12-09-2018, 10:02 AM)IVB Wrote: One bit of good news, I put that machine (Dell Inspiron 34-something) on a Kill-a-watt. Turns out it uses 17W at idle, haven't seen it go more than 30W and that too just for a burst, typical usage is 24W.  And it's strong enough that I can put my SQL*Server on it too.

*AND* my zWave lighting is finally working again!

Well alrighty then.

That is great news! Does it use video off of the CPU? I am thinking that onboard video uses less electricity.
What are you using for a hub for Zwave?
tia, Ron

My HT...
Onboard video, no idea if it's using the CPU or not.

zWave is the reason I did this. I'm using CQC linking directly to the Aeotec zWave. The VR-USB is the primary but sits unused other than that. I tossed SmartThings, ISY, and 8 other controllers, this one needs to work.
Oh, I have 2 ISY994is, and I only use 1. The one I used I just installed the Zwave module, but I have not tried to use it yet. If it doesn't work I will most likely get the dongle for my HD Dune Pro 4k when it arrives.
tia, Ron

My HT...
I grew to detest the ISY.

I was using the ISY for 3 years, but after 3 *YEARS* of 5.x being in *alpha* it finally went into beta. And still didn't support my not-really-new devices. I finally upgraded firmware once it went beta, it worked with my older devices for ~2 months, then slowly started crapping out device by device. I got down to 5 out of 30 devices working. I never bothered saying anything on the UDI forums as they only get firmware beta versions out every 3-4 months (compared to Dean doing it every 3-5 days). I didn't see the point.

I still have the ISY in the drawer in case I ever lose my mind, but hoping to not use it ever again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the state of mini-computers? - December 2015 sic0048 7 1,867 12-25-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: wuench
  SageTV running on a Mac mini radiopaque 1 1,234 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  Anyone installed a master server on a Via mini-itx pc? CalypsoCowboy 7 2,252 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Last Post: dkemme