Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I do this?
I don't know about everything, that's a broad definition. You should look at it and convince yourself it's sufficient. It doesn't do WMA/WMV I know. But it does MKVs and raw ripped DVDs and blu-rays. That's all I know of from personal experience. But the one I have is pretty old, so I'd assume that more recent ones support more recent formats.

The control interface is basic but sufficient.

BTW, the Roku has a Plex client. The last time I checked, Roku 3 I think it is, the plex client driver worked with that. So you could use Plex for the repository and the Plex client on the Roku as the renderer, plus anything else you might want to use the Roku for.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
It doesn't look like the Roku 3 is a current model anymore...
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Are all Roku models supported by CQC?
tia, Ron

My HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Celeron NUC, (2) Furman rack conditioners, APC HT conditioner, (2) APC Battery Backups, Panamorph UH-480, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, DIY B&O amp modules, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable, DIY audio rack, Klipch 402  horns.
It looks like the best option for Dune HD is the Pro4k version. I hope that is supported by the current Dune driver.
tia, Ron

My HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Celeron NUC, (2) Furman rack conditioners, APC HT conditioner, (2) APC Battery Backups, Panamorph UH-480, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, DIY B&O amp modules, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable, DIY audio rack, Klipch 402  horns.
If not, and it's just because they've made change to the protocol, we can tweak that of course. If it's because they've completely removed it, then you can always return it I guess.

Same on the Roku. Of course if you are using it to run the Plex client, then it doesn't matter what the Roku is, since it's the Plex client we are talking to, not the Roku itself. You could run both drivers if there are actually features of the Roku itself you want to control.
Dean Roddey
Can I use the Plex web player for now, or is that not controlled via CQC?
tia, Ron

My HT...
Portable ones aren't really useful for control. You'd just use the Plex interface itself to browse and make media selections. And many of them won't implement enough of the protocol to work anyway. The driver is more for home theater purposes, for the main Windows/Roku type client that would be running on an always on device.
Dean Roddey
What about using JRiver for the database (XML file)...would I then be able to use the CQC player?
tia, Ron

My HT...
For music that will work. Not for movies. Our player is music only. Or, you could use our repository for music and movies if you want and use our music player, though you still need some player for movies. If you use plex as the movie repo, you can only use plex players for movies.
Dean Roddey
(11-12-2018, 03:14 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: For music that will work. Not for movies. Our player is music only. Or, you could use our repository for music and movies if you want and use our music player, though you still need some player for movies. If you use plex as the movie repo, you can only use plex players for movies.

So I could use JRiver s XML, import it into CQC for the repo, and use CQC to display my catalog of music, and  movies, correct? Then I could use CQCs music player, and or some other player for music and movies correct?

By doing this, I could then view, control the repo catalog from my tablet vs using a mouse, and displaying on my tv, right? Thus having a seamless interface, and being able to find my next selection while my tv is playing a movie.
tia, Ron

My HT...
Yes. For music in that case, I'd just use our player since it's there and it is very responsive (because the driver is the actual device in this case.) You could use JRiver or our repository either one. Both just expose files on the network to play.

Create a shared directory for the top level directory where you want your repository to be. Then use that shared directory in the program that you use to manage the repository. That way, the paths are relative to that shared directory, and that means when they are passed to any player around the network, they can get to those files. Make sure that the underlying local directory that you share as the appropriate sharing rights so that outsiders can get to that directory. The players will need to read files. Any repo manager (JR, ours, DVDP, ect...) will need to both read and write files.

And yes, as long as you use standard repo/renderer drivers you can access the metadata from CQC touch screens and control the renderer's playback and such. If they are V2 compliant repo/renderer drivers you can use them from within the auto-gen system. JRiver, DVDProfiler, My Movies, and our repo are all common examples of V2 compliant repos.

Of course don't spend days and days filling up a repository before you try it. Put a little stuff into the one you want to use, then work out getting it set up with CQC and make sure it all works. Then you can continue forward and know you aren't wasting your time. Make sure your metadata is clean, and that all the core stuff if present, particularly track number, track name, artist name, duration, and album name. Those things are required for things to really work well.
Dean Roddey