Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tangible Differences between CQC and Homeseer
Hi folks, 

I'm looking for some real world info on CQC. Given my use case below, is there anything tangible that CQC can do that Homeseer can't or vise versa?  I'm looking for differences in functionality and overall performance, preferably from people that have used both. 

I understand that CQC, being a commercial product, is higher quality and built for a different audience. However, it seems like I can get similar reliability and 80-90% of the functionality at approx. half the cost with HS. I'm worried that using CQC would be akin to using a Ferrari as a grocery-getter... 

For reference, here are the components I'm planning to use: 
-HAI OmniPRO II security system (still wondering what the main differences are over Elk M1 Gold)
-Lutron RadioRA2 lighting, outlets & HVAC w/motion sensors
-Blue Iris camera system
-Undetermined audio system 
-Undetermined sensor/PLC system preferably w/geofencing.
-Local, non-cloud based voice system (CQCVoice or HS Microsoft TTS?!?)
-Base on the countless horror stories on this forum, I'd rather not use any Z-wave devices 
-System needs to be no-kidding, 100% rock solid

I posted similar questions on Reddit, Cocoontech and avsforums. I received tons of really valuable information and insight, but thus far no one has been able to give me a straight answer to the question. I assume this means one of three things; no one has done a legit comparative analysis, people lack in-depth experience with both, or it simply boils down to preference?!? 

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge...

-LJ
One pretty well known one is the touch screen UI capabilities. HS have made a few attempts to up their game on this front, but nothing they've done has come to close to CQC's capabilities.

Another I would say is that CQC is fundamentally a network distributed product from the ground up. It's built on our powerful object request broker technology (I almost typed object request BROKEN technology, which would have been a bad Freudian slip.) So it's designed to be able to distribute functionality around the network as required but still treat it as a single system and manage it as such. It's not just reading files from a shared directory or using some third party web server to serve up HTML or something. It is more like an enterprise software product in its network architecture.

BTW, on the voice stuff, CQC Voice and TTS are different things. CQC Voice using TTS to speak back responses to you. CQC can also use TTS to let you speak announcements and such as well.

It's really CQC Voice vs Echo. CQC Voice is designed to be a canned, easy to set up system. That means it's not open ended like the Echo support is. There are technical reasons for that related to the speech recognition technology available to us locally vs. what companies like Amazon do. The Echo has more flexibility because the speech recognition capabilities are better. Here is something I wrote up about that, which might help you understand the issues more:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-...o-con.html

It also has some links to some other posts of mine that you might find educational.

Definitely skip Z-Wave if 100% reliability is the issue. RA2 is good. You'll have to deal with locks somehow. The 100% way would be electronic strike type locks which you can control via a contact closure. The PLC system can handle the contacts since you say you are going to have one of those.

One thing to keep in mind with the cost is that we don't charge for device drivers. The cost of teh product gets you access to all the available device drivers. That's not the case with HS. You think are getting it cheap, then realize, oh, I have to buy this driver and that driver and soon the cost difference isn't really there anymore.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
My $.02 cents worth, and I know nothing about HS - support for CQC is as good as you will ever find with a computer software product. I worked as a Computer Support Analyst for 6 years, and CQC is the best I have ever seen, and that includes the company I worked for. I have been using it for 12 years, and would never consider another product, as over that time, my system has been upgraded, changed, and enhanced, and the cost remained the same. If I have a problem, you will get a reply. Most times it is an answer, and if not, it is a workaround or a new version that fixes it on a very short time frame. You won't see that in most software companies these days. If they do fix it, it may be 12 mos. down the road.
I second that - I'm halfway across the globe in a completely different timezone, but whenever I email Dean about a problem (usually Sonos because they keep changing their damned interface), I know I will get a response within 12 hours or so, and he will find a fix for the issue normally in a day or so. Don't get that anywhere else.
(11-09-2018, 06:23 AM)karenlee Wrote: I second that - I'm halfway across the globe in a completely different timezone, but whenever I email Dean about a problem (usually Sonos because they keep changing their damned interface), I know I will get a response within 12 hours or so, and he will find a fix for the issue normally in a day or so.  Don't get that anywhere else.

+1 I always get a  same day response on the support forum. I have tossed out a lot of hardware/software that wasn't 100%  reliable.  If you find something that affects reliability it will get fix faster than any other HA software provider.
It finally occurred to me that I've been asking the wrong questions. I was too focused on the granular differences in functionality between the two platforms instead of focusing on the long-term support, function, and viability of the platforms themselves. Also, spend 10 minutes reading the HS/CQC forums and the choice becomes crystal clear. Tbh, it's not even close...

Dean - you've got yourself a diamond customer. Thanks for all you do to support everyone using your platform.   
If you have a minute, also follow up on your Reddit post, so that we could get some perspective there as well.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(11-09-2018, 06:39 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If you have a minute, also follow up on your Reddit post, so that we could get some perspective there as well.

Will do
(11-09-2018, 06:55 PM)LittleJoe Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 06:39 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If you have a minute, also follow up on your Reddit post, so that we could get some perspective there as well.

Will do

LittleJoe:

Welcome to CQC.

Also, consider updating the thread at Cocoontech.  Dean: you may want to comment there, too, if there are any inaccuracies there.

-Tom
(11-09-2018, 09:30 PM)xlurkr Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 06:55 PM)LittleJoe Wrote:

Will do

LittleJoe:

Welcome to CQC.

Also, consider updating the thread at Cocoontech.  Dean: you may want to comment there, too, if there are any inaccuracies there.

-Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tom! I'll be sure to update the post as soon my cool down expires in 24hrs. Its really annoying, but I understand why it's there...

Also, thanks again for the advice.

-Justan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HomeSeer HomeTroller-Mini on Engadget ctay 0 863 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Last Post: ctay