Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZWave integration frustrations
The dimmer isn't multi-channel, so it's not an issue. It was the door/window switch. And I thought the multi-sensor but apparently that's not true. That one supports multi-channel association (presumably to allow each of the sub-units to send notifications to a different unit if you wanted) but apparently is not multi-channel itself.

On the Fibaro multi-sensor I guess it works like the Aeotec's do (i.e. wrongly) so I will take a whack at doing it that way we can see how it works.

So I just need the Door/window switch new info dump. Of course it's battery powered so have the query ready to go, cause it to wake up, then hit the button quickly.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Here's the updated dump for the Fibaro door/window switch.

Attached Files
.zip   Kjaerligkatt_Fibaro_DoorWindowSwitch[FGDW-002]-v2.zip (Size: 453 bytes / Downloads: 1)
OK, that worked. There's a binary sensor on end point 1 and a multi-level sensor on 2. Given that it's a door switch, what is the multi-level one for? It only needs off/on to do a switch. Looking at the manual, is there a temperature sensor in it?

Can you manually set up the group 1 association on it, then turn on the trace, close the door, then open the door (with a little pause in between), and then turn off the trace and send me that? I just want to make sure what it sends to report open/close. The end point implements binary sensor but it seems to imply that notification CC is used to report changes. If so I guess the binary sensor is to just to get an initial value.

These types of random conglomerations of things in a multi-channel box are going to be hard to deal with. It's like all of the complexities of the individual things, but all in one. I'm probably going to have to do a specialized (or generalized in this case) handler for these and it will have to be very flexible, else I'll end up doing way too many one off ad hoc ones for this or that combination. So I may need to get one of these as well in order to test that. It's way too much to try to do by eye.
Dean Roddey
There is an optional temperature sensor and external contact closure input. I have the temperature sensor fitted, but don't use the external contact closure input.

Here's the dump you wanted :

Z-Wave USB3 Trace
, Time: 20:01:21
----------------------------------------------------

20:01:35 - [ZW->DR] - REQ,Msg:AppCmd/0x4,Recvd: 20:01:35)
{
Flags:
Type: Single
SrcId: 5
Class: Basic
Cmd: Set
Bytes: 00 05 03 20 01 00
}
20:01:35 - [TRACE]- Processing app cmd. Src=5, Class=20, Cmd=1
20:01:43 - [ZW->DR] - REQ,Msg:AppCmd/0x4,Recvd: 20:01:43) 8764MSs
{
Flags:
Type: Single
SrcId: 5
Class: Basic
Cmd: Set
Bytes: 00 05 03 20 01 FF
}
20:01:43 - [TRACE]- Processing app cmd. Src=5, Class=20, Cmd=1
Oh, OK. So the main unit is the door sensor, and multi-channel end point 1 is the external sensor and 2 is the temp sensor.
Dean Roddey
I got the thermo in today and there were quite a bunch of issues with my by eye implementation. After the next drop I'll have to get you to get me another device info dump on the thermostat, because there's thermo oriented info that we have to get from the device because it's not going to be implemented. Once I have that I should be able to whip up a device info file for your thermostat.

Oh wait, I just looked at the previous dump. That's not a thermostat, it's some sort of temp sensor. If it's a thermostat, it's a super-minimalist one that my standard thermo support wouldn't handle. What is that guy exactly?
Dean Roddey
(10-23-2018, 03:13 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I also added the wall mote unit. That was all done by eye, so I could have messed up, but let's see if it works. It should just send out user action events in response to the buttons.

It doesn’t look as if the Aeotec Quad Wall Mote is right. A battery level field was created in the driver, but has stayed as ????? for 2 days, and the unit has been woken up numerous times trying to get user actions working 

I’m not seeing any user action events either, and I think it’s failing to associate with the driver. Attached is a snapshot trace for when I tried to associate the unit with the driver, and there are errors indicated. 

(10-26-2018, 05:01 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Oh, OK. So the main unit is the door sensor, and multi-channel end point 1 is the external sensor and 2 is the temp sensor.

Yes, that is correct

(10-26-2018, 05:52 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I got the thermo in today and there were quite a bunch of issues with my by eye implementation. After the next drop I'll have to get you to get me another device info dump on the thermostat, because there's thermo oriented info that we have to get from the device because it's not going to be implemented. Once I have that I should be able to whip up a device info file for your thermostat.

Oh wait, I just looked at the previous dump. That's not a thermostat, it's some sort of temp sensor. If it's a thermostat, it's a super-minimalist one that my standard thermo support wouldn't handle. What is that guy exactly?

It’s a thermostatic valve for controlling individual heaters in a room. It’s a Popp branded one of these 

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/932

(the Popp allows the set point to read/set whereas the Danfoss is set only)

Attached Files
.txt   Trace.Txt (Size: 2.71 KB / Downloads: 3)
That guy is battery powered and you didn't wake it up first, so it didn't really capture anything because it never got the association set. Anyhoo, I have the previous dump which has all the useful info for it. The new stuff I added to the info dumps are related to supported fan modes and thermostat modes, which this guy doesn't have.

That is sort of an odd duck, and may need some ad hoc handler, though I guess I should abstract it a bit since there could be other things in the same general vein.
Dean Roddey
Re: Aeotec quad mote

Hmmm, not sure what is going on - I’ve woken it up a number of times. You just need to press the button on the back for 3 sec, and it flashes orange to acknowledge this.   What’s the correct procedure for associating with the driver?  Wake it up before or after I select the menu option for the device in the driver client interface?  

I’ve tried both numerous times, and not managed to add the association.
If it’s been forcibly woken up so many times, wouldn’t the battery status be sent at that point?

——————————-

Which one are you saying is an odd duck - the door sensor with the other end points?  Or the TRV?

The thermostatic valve is very common. There are many of these available from different zWave brands.  In Europe, especially the UK, most homes are heated be pumping hot water around the building - unlike the US, where air is pumped around to heat/cool rooms.  Individual room temperature is managed with a thermostatic valve for the heated water pumped to that room.  This is what TRVs provide.   This is also why Nest provides different modes (without a cool setting) for many European heating systems - the Nest controls switching the furnace/boiler on, and TRVs control the heat level for different zones (one or more per room).

Having just written all this, it occurs to me that I’m probably stating the obvious and you already knew all of this ?
Does that mean it's awake for a while, or just for a very short period? Generally they don't stay awake long, so it's best to have the dialog ready to go so you just need to hit the button. Then wake it up, and hit the button. If you take any time at all it may go back to sleep.

Some have longer stay awake periods than others, I dunno how long that one's is. And some of them don't mean that they are awake, it just means that they send out an 'awake' notification, so that other things can talk to it, but it'll go back to sleep really quickly if there's nothing sent.

If it's the latter scheme, then you would have to send send the notification first (and make sure the 'known awake' check box is not checked.) That will cause the msgs to be queued up and sent once it gets a wakeup.

However, you can't do associations like that. The wakeup is usually only sent to things it is associated with, so there's a catch-22. In that case, you may have to remove and re-insert the batteries, then put the cover back on. That typically gets them to send a node info frame, which is usually broadcast and everyone can see it.

That's why Z-Wave is sort of a mess. It's supposed to be some simple system, there but are gotchas galore.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Play Music integration sic0048 1 197 12-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 296 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  zWave, how I hate thee. need to redo network IVB 23 1,534 12-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Echo integration still working for folks? IVB 5 1,343 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM
  USB ZWave Controller Configuration bobskie708 6 3,245 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  delete zwave devices? jkmonroe 8 2,530 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  connecting a zWave relay IVB 3 1,845 02-20-2016, 03:13 PM
  zwave device configuration jkmonroe 75 11,906 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  ISY zWave controller IVB 4 2,501 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM