Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MQTT and CQC
Hmmm, another layer of communication (but one that is already in place)...

EventGhost has an MQTT client plugin
Thats starting to get really messy doing it that way - buts its a work around (the only one) until CQC gets something itself.

I really believe CQC sites in the right place to be a broker as well as a client - its what CQC is. But first step would be a client so comms to a broker could be established.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I read through some of the spec. It's a 'simple' protocol, but the spec is still like 90'ish pages long, though a lot of that is formal spec gobbledygook that probably never gets read. It's simple as such things go I guess. Though meeting all of the storage and QOS requirements could get a little tweaky.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(03-13-2017, 04:44 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I read through some of the spec. It's a 'simple' protocol, but the spec is still like 90'ish pages long, though a lot of that is formal spec gobbledygook that probably never gets read. It's simple as such things go I guess. Though meeting all of the storage and QOS requirements could get a little tweaky.

This appears to be getting bigger and bigger and it would be great if CQC could be a client (at least). CQC really needs to add this. I'm ready to add my Sonoff relays and I can see plenty of other things ready to go as well. Just need the client. 

From what I've seen there is a lot of c helpers libraries for it but I'm yet to find a doc on the protocol to Understand it. I don't know if a new class is best suited to it or if a driver would cover it
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Agree 100% A client would be a great start!
Consider this, by creating a client we could have immediate access to the SmartThings hub and all of the devices it can manage. The Sonoff relays Mykel is talking about are inexpensive and offer easy WiFi based control, all we need is the interface. I'm guessing there are many other I/O devices like the Sonoff out there...
*** Bump for visibility ***
Dean I know you are up to your eyeballs in Z-Wave, once that is done please consider developing an MQTT Client Driver.

Hey Android Tasker people out there, check out what the AutoApps developer Joao is adding to Join here.
Well, I now have the ability to send messages from an MQTT client to CQC via EventGhost.

I installed mosquitto MQTT server (broker) on a windows machine and have it running as a service. Once I get all of the bits and pieces figured out I'll put together a how to.

Now starting to learn the bits and pieces of how publish and subscribe works...
You can also do it with NodeRed. I have Nodered sending a HTTP Get to CQC and CQC can send TCP message to node red. This gives me two way control with MQTT but it required two drivers and is a kludge at best.

NodeRed is running on the MQTT broker (RPi) with my C-Bus stuff so i can control my lights via MQTT if i want to. (Node red is a by default included in Jessie and above for Pi - configured via web interface)

There is not much to do for a broker - it just get a message and a clients subscribes to the broker and receives any messages for that subscription.

Have a look at MQTT.fx - a good little client utility for windows for testing. This is where I did my testing to get NodeRed working with CQC initially.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zwave MQTT bridge potts.mike 4 1,833 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Last Post: batwater