Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos opens its platform to Spotify Connect and Amazon's Alexa
Title says it all, this could get very interesting...

http://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-open...zons-alexa

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/...8e46b52979
as soon as I get a job i'm buying 4 Sonos Connect:Amp and 1 Sonos Connect (existing 6ch amp).

Heck, I might even run a new outdoor a/c enclosure, so I can bring my Dot to the front porch when we have our biweekly neighborhood happy hours out there. The neighbors think my house is wicked smart&cool as we can do all this crap on our phones from the front yard, doing it via Alexa would short circuit their brains.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I hope they start selling the Dot again, not interested in the foot print of the Echo, don't need the speakers. Maybe with this partnership there will be a Sonos Dot course it will probably cost 2-3x as much...
From CEPro.com regarding the new Sonos API:

Quote:We have a little more clarity about Sonos’s new API, which was announced yesterday, along with the names of six home-automation partners that would enjoy “sanctioned” integration for the first time. Rumors had been spreading that Sonos would deliberately shut out the unsanctioned non-partners (heck, everyone has a reverse-engineered integration solution), but a spokesperson tells CE Pro that won’t be the case … at least not today. “[W]e currently have no plans to deliberately impact existing solutions that are not supported,” she says.

At the same time, Sonos does not expose any new features through the API. It only allows volume/transport controls, the selection of favorites and the “now playing” metadata. In other words, the API delivers less than what many home-automation companies are currently implementing on their own. If the API provides less than what third-party vendors are reverse-engineering, and Sonos doesn’t plan to shut off un-sanctioned integrations, does it make sense to “partner” with Sonos for proper integration? The answer, of course, is “yes” because there’s no telling what the future holds, but it still would be nice if Sonos opened up a little more of its protocol so users could more easily access more of the platform’s great features.

Notice the spokes person says "We currently have no plans..." Presumably the new API would have to be brought to a point where the UPnP interface was no longer required by their own software client before they could trash it. But, at that point, if they don't expose their new API to anyone but their chosen few, and they remove the UPnP interface, that would be that.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Yah I wish I had picked up a dot when they had them for sale.

IVB - For Sonos, I got all my gear through ebay. They were second hand, but far cheaper than retail. A couple had minor belmishes, but not enough to see unless you really cared to look.
Dean Roddey Wrote:From CEPro.com regarding the new Sonos API:

Notice the spokes person says "We currently have no plans..." Presumably the new API would have to be brought to a point where the UPnP interface was no longer required by their own software client before they could trash it. But, at that point, if they don't expose their new API to anyone but their chosen few, and they remove the UPnP interface, that would be that.

Don't read too much into the word "currently". Any decent lawyer would advise saying that.

No responsible company will ever commit to doing something for others in perpetuity.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
So once again I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Yesterday I saw this post by Batwater about the Echo-Sonos API, and I have spent the last day and a half banging my head on the table trying to understand things like "github," ".js," ".json."

And just when it all comes together for me (and works!), Sonos capitulates.

Oh, well, better something now instead of waiting for 2017.
Well if they do pull the UPNP access and break my CQC integration, my 3 Sonos's will be going up for sale.... These Sonos guys really just don't get it and they are going to get left behind, thick clients, crap API. The Denon HEOS have an open REST API.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
batwater Wrote:I hope they start selling the Dot again, not interested in the foot print of the Echo, don't need the speakers. Maybe with this partnership there will be a Sonos Dot course it will probably cost 2-3x as much...

Just our of curiosity I decided to see if there were any Dots on ebay. Its pretty funny that they range between $350 - $530 for a "Buy it Now", and in the $190's if you are bidding. It is hard to believe that they just quit selling them. I have two, but like you, wish I had purchased 3.
Yeah, what's even funnier is that people are willing to pay that much. I actually had 2nd Dot on order and seconded guessed the timing of the Google Home release and canceled. So someone else benefited...

At this point I'm holding out for Google Home with the hope that it easily integrates with Tasker (Android based automation engine) and thus to CQC.

I'm still hacking my way through making the Echo work with Tasker and CQC such that I can use AutoVoice (plugin for Tasker) to process voice requests (it uses RegEx in a very powerful way) and have the ability for CQC to respond back to the Echo.

The good news for my journey with this is that I'm designing the architecture in such a way that I can plug the Google Home device (or whatever comes along next) in and not have to make a bunch of changes on the CQC side.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sonos amp Dean Roddey 3 8,756 09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos going public? Dean Roddey 0 2,405 07-07-2018, 10:08 PM
  Scheduling next webinar (Sonos/TTS) IVB 6 2,481 02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Alexa, Amazon Echo gains multiroom music playback sic0048 0 945 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  New Alexa skill builder Beta Ron Haley 2 1,726 05-15-2017, 09:40 AM
  Alexa on Iphone Ron Haley 3 2,060 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Get Started using AutoVoice on Google Home and Amazon Echo batwater 2 3,200 02-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Last Post: batwater
  Uverse and Sonos kblagron 5 2,687 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
  Lutron adds support for Alexa and Sonos ControlFreak 2 2,367 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Alexa to gain push notifications potts.mike 1 1,478 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Last Post: potts.mike