Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help figuring out projector serial control!
Not hush-hush, this is right out of the instruction book.

Here's a PDF to the IB, the explanation begins on page 74.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/1032532...=74#manual
Well, I've tried everything I can think of, but no joy. Even replaced the serial cable. The projector has a male out, so I have to use a gender adapter, but I assume those are wired straight through so the gender reversal should have no effect on the pin configuration. I've tried it with a null adapter. No matter what I do, nothing changes.

I also used Hercules to send the hex code with no response either.

The projector has an input selection in the menu and it's set to RS232C.

The code:
21 (PC to Projector) 89 01 (Projector) 50 57 (Power Supply) 31 (On) 0A (End Communication)
Seems simple enough that a Caveman could do it.

Driver settings:
Baud: 19200 (as specified by the Wolf IB)
DTS: Enable
RTS: Enable
Text Output: ASCII
Decorations: None

It may be time to stick to the IR.
Is the 89 id for the projector in the examples just an example and you have to replace that with some other value that is the actual id of your particular projector? If so, presumably it would be set in the configuration somewhere.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean Roddey Wrote:Is the 89 id for the projector in the examples just an example and you have to replace that with some other value that is the actual id of your particular projector? If so, presumably it would be set in the configuration somewhere.

The IB states that the "Unit" (Projector) code is fixed at "8901"
Deane, if you can try turning off DTS??? (maybe CTS or DTR, there is no DTS on a serial port) and RTS. The pin outs on the manual page indicate only receive, send and ground, 2, 3 and 5, there is no hardware flow control enabled.

-Ben
Likely they are just ignored if not used, but of course it's best to try everything just in case.
Dean Roddey
No joy on the above.

This seems so simple. The IB has several pages of straightforward information and the hex code is simple and well explained.

Pages 74 through 77 of the IB seem to lay it out pretty thoroughly:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/1032532...=74#manual

I went through all COM ports and tried it on them just to make sure I was on the right one, but no response or change. It's like the serial cable isn't even connected to the unit. (yes, I checked that). And I tried a different cable.
It looks like it also sends out notifications of changes of state. If so, hook up a serial terminal and change things until you start seeing output from the projector that matches what is expected based on the documentation. When that happens, then you know it's good.
Dean Roddey
Just tried that with 4 different pieces of software. One allows monitoring of all ports at once. Nothing. It's like the serial cable isn't connected to anything.

With each piece of software, I turned the projector on and switched inputs back and forth. No response send from the projector.

Somewhere, I'm missing something simple.
WE MAY HAVE A BABY!

I changed to a different COM port that had previously been labeled #5. Nothing. I then inserted the NULL device and I just turned the projector ON with the published code from CQC.

I don't know where this puts me in the overall, but it's the first glimmer of a reaction. I think the combination of finding the correct COM port, and getting the NULL device in use at the right time, made it difficult not to miss some vital combination. I have 14 or 15 COM ports.

I'm off now to see the new Jason Bourne movie at the theater (real). I'll actually be able to concentrate on the movie now that I have something accomplished back home.

EDIT: I just turned the projector off from CQC with the published OFF code. Things are looking up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 714 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC to PowerView Hub via Serial Driver Deane Johnson 18 512 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 961 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Serial Commands for Hunter Douglas Hub! Deane Johnson 65 5,585 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 1,657 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 13,916 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Problems with App Control in 4.8.3 update MikeA 2 997 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MikeA
  Control surface - am I heading down a rat hole? kjaerligkatt 3 1,267 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM
  Serial Terminal options? IVB 21 3,224 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM
  Tivo control question MikeA 21 5,135 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dogman