Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The RIVA Comm Buf Mgr pool is full and cannot be expanded any further
Dean,

I added another wall mounted ipad to my system about a week ago and since then I've been having some connnection problems to the Riva server with other riva devices. Today I noticed this in the log

07/22 06:06:43-CQCMaster, CQCRemVSrv, CQCRemVSrvGUIThread_5
{
CIDLib, CIDLib_SimplePool.hpp.471, Failed/Out Of Resource, Error: 3176/0/0
The RIVA Comm Buf Mgr pool is full and cannot be expanded any further
}

Any solutions for me?
How many are you running at once?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I have 5 on the wall, one in my livingroom, one in my car, and my iphone.

so 8.
What CQC version are you on? Do you have more than one server? You can install multiple instances of the RIVA server and point different clients at different servers, to spread the load out.
Dean Roddey

How many does each server handle?
There's no fixed limit. It would depend on how active they are and how many are doing something at a given time. Keep in mind that each one is basically an IV session running in the background on the server. So 8 of them would be like running 8 IVs on the server at the same time, plus the overhead of doing it remotely which requires shuttling the commands over the network.

It looks like what's getting over-committed is the pool of RIVA messages that it uses to send those commands. It uses a shared pool of them to avoid having to constantly create and destroy them. I could make that pool larger of course, but if you have the option to spread the load a bit, that would also do it and probably make them more responsive when there's simultaneous activity.
Dean Roddey
All done.

Thanks for the tip.
Dean,
I have been seeing this and decided today is the day to fix. How do I start up 4 Riva servers? Didn't see an option on install.
Thanks
Kevin
What I meant above was to put them on different machines. You can only run one instance on any given machine. And it wouldn't help that much to run multiples on the same machine. Well, it would in the sense that it would likely get around that issue, but the load would still be the same on the machine, actually a bit more since it's running two different instances.

How many simultaneous clients do you figure you ever have running?
Dean Roddey
I have 4 iPads and seems when a driver has an issue(normally Denon or Polk XM radio) random iPads disconnect. Was thinking there was a resource/buffer issue that could be alleviated with running more servers on the host CQC server. Was kind of holding off on reporting IOS Riva issues as was hoping that a new HTML client was in the works that would work on IOS. Not sure that is the case or if it will be a direct replacement for IOS Riva.

Thanks
Kevin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Preview of new Web based RIVA client Dean Roddey 424 27,489 10-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  IV start in full screen George M 2 513 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: George M
  One Driver - Multiple Comm Ports Open zra 4 736 05-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Last Post: zra
  Repository + RIVA problems chmilar 7 1,192 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM
  ISY994i wait for comm resource ellisr63 32 2,538 04-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Full Screen IV on Win8? jkmonroe 9 1,339 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM
  Riva Client [SOLVED] finish.06 2 1,035 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM