Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain 8 with CQC?
I used some rain 8's for awhile. In the end used my elkM1G and relays. Picked up the ET data from the sprinkler driver.
Ron Haley Wrote:I used some rain 8's for awhile. In the end used my elkM1G and relays. Picked up the ET data from the sprinkler driver.
I decided to go with the Rachio. The biggest concern was having to run a LAN line to the basement, a very difficult task in my configuration (finished basement ceilings). So far so good.

The Alexa connection seems OK. About what you'd expect from a Skill.
Could have put a cheap AP in bridge mode instead of a cable - air gapped as well then
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(07-18-2016, 09:48 AM)Deane Johnson Wrote:
Ron Haley Wrote:I used some rain 8's for awhile.  In the end used my elkM1G and relays.  Picked up the ET data from the sprinkler driver.
I decided to go with the Rachio.  The biggest concern was having to run a LAN line to the basement, a very difficult task in my configuration (finished basement ceilings).  So far so good.

The Alexa connection seems OK.  About what you'd expect from a Skill.

Deane--How are you liking the Rachio? Do you have it integrated into your CQC setup?  I am considering the Rachio and CQC for my future HA setup, but I want there to be some integration/control through the master controller.  The Homeseer plug-in apparently retrieves the Rachio data from the cloud.
There isn't a Rachio driver currently. The thing is, what Rachio mostly gets you you can get from CQC itself using the scheduling driver, and just a simpler, less expensive relay device. Or that's my understanding of it.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
There are pluses and minuses for this sort of system.

Out of the box you get good apps for your iPhone or android and voice control.

Getting CQC involved into the mix is a bonus so it can integrate with other systems or be used through on central system.

Should CQC have an issue the system still works on its own. While the DIY installer may not be too fussed, the person putting this in for others may feel differently.

I've always been an advocate of the Click PLC which kinda goes against what I said, but it can be made to run independently of CQC (minus an app though) and then use CQC for supplemental information or supervisory control.

Needing to have an internet connection to just be able to water you yard is stupid - The app should connect directly to the watering system when on the same LAN and only via server ('cause most can set up port forwarding etc) when using WAN. but this is the model they choose so they can generate a revenue stream once the hardware has been sold.

These idiots often don't release API's to work directly with products either - its gotta go through their servers which again means the system needs an internet connection to work - again a flawed idea.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Although the Rachio gets great marks I prefer the RainMachine. Having a touch screen is really helpful and easier if you have a lawn service for spring open and winterizing.  Wish there was an driver for CQC and RainMachine.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-smart-sprinkler-systems

It is amazing how much water you save with a smart lawn sprinkler controller that knows the weather forecast.

Kevin
The irrigation driver also uses the forecast if you have the weather driver installed, as I understand it.
Dean Roddey
At least the RainMachine has an API for interacting directly with it and not via a third party server - a big plus
https://rainmachine.docs.apiary.io/#refe.../provision

But the touchscreen is redundant once you get a CQC driver - you will probably never use it.

What I really want is a single station controller that sits directly on the valve that has WiFi (or other) connectivity so long cable runs are not required and the valve can be placed out int he garden - bit like the Edyn Garden valve, but without the valve - a distributed watering system that is ultimately more flexible and expandable beyond the standard 8 stations. THere are examples that are timers only but nothing that is remotely controllable.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Honestly I'd prefer to put time into taking the existing irrigation driver and really integrating into CQC as a first class citizen, with a configuration interface in the AI, and running as a server instead of a driver and all that. Not that we couldn't also do a driver for Rain Machine, but being able to support generic gear and supporting good irrigation out of the box would be nice, particularly if it had a nice configuration interface.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rain Bird Irrigation controllers paul 3 1,638 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Last Post: znelbok