Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain 8 with CQC?
Now that I have my Nest working well, which wasn't much of a challenge since it did most everything be itself, and I have my Delta Touch faucet working to perfection, it's time to think about my next project.

My irrigation is run by a 35 year old controller, the kind with a motor wheel and stops. Pretty primitive, but it works. However, I tend to run it manually for a number of reasons, so convenient control would be beneficial. I'm tired of running up and down the stairs to change it.

In reviewing the Rain 8 driver CQC data, I see mentioned a wi-fi model. I don't find a wi-fi model on the Rain 8 web site. I wonder if they dropped that.

My main issue is that the controller is in the basement furnace room and I need to control it from the main floor. I have no HA equipment in the basement. It will be a pain in the neck to get a serial line down to it, but I suspect I could get it done if I had to.

So, I'm inviting comments and experiences once again. My request for help on the thermostat ended up taking me in an entirely unexpected direction which turned out sensational. I'll appreciate help once again.
Rachio. It isn't currently directly integrated to CQC, but does have an API. It integrates with Works with Nest, IFTTT, and the Echo, so you can use IFTTT to get CQC control indirectly and easily control via voice with the Echo.

The public API can be found here, so hopefully Dean (or someone with the ability) can be convinced to get a driver.

Hell, you could use a Google Calendar and IFTTT to set your schedules.

edit: here is a HUGE list of commands you can use via the Echo: http://support.rachio.com/article/483-ho...1468261288
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
My initial look at that is that it's way cool, as they say. Looks like it's much more up to date than the Rain 8. I suspect Rain 8's claim to fame at the moment would be high reliability.

The fact I don't have to run a serial line to it makes the Rachio very appealing. I mainly would want to make sure I can run it manually with all other scheduling turned off.
I downloaded the demo app. It appears to be vertical only. With horizontal mounted iPads, that's a deal killer. I posted the issue on the Rachio support forum to see what they had to say.

It could be just the demo, but I doubt is as I see nothing but iPhone pics on their web site.
Depending on what other equipment or projects are near, you could always put a wireless NUC next to the serial Rain 8. Obviously stupid if it'll just run irrigation, but that secondary server could also do other things.

I have the serial Rain 8, that thing keeps chugging along. It's probably the most reliable piece of equipment in my whole setup as its so simple.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
As discussed in other threads on the same subject, my recommendation is to go with a ClickPLC for irrigation and use a Global Cache Wifi iTach (serial to Wifi). If you have the serial cable already installed then there is nothing extra to do. (The Wifi gives you an air gap which is preferable for an irrigation system)

The Click also has an Ethernet port now so a small access point in bridge mode would also so the job but the Click driver does not support IP yet (use the serial port on it in the mean tme).

The Click is potentially cheaper than the Rain8 and significantly more robust (industrial product).

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok Wrote:As discussed in other threads on the same subject, my recommendation is to go with a ClickPLC for irrigation and use a Global Cache Wifi iTach (serial to Wifi). If you have the serial cable already installed then there is nothing extra to do. (The Wifi gives you an air gap which is preferable for an irrigation system)

The Click also has an Ethernet port now so a small access point in bridge mode would also so the job but the Click driver does not support IP yet (use the serial port on it in the mean tme).

The Click is potentially cheaper than the Rain8 and significantly more robust (industrial product).

Mick

Indeed, these are interesting looking components. However, they appear to require one thing I may be lacking, a functioning brain.
IVB Wrote:Depending on what other equipment or projects are near, you could always put a wireless NUC next to the serial Rain 8. Obviously stupid if it'll just run irrigation, but that secondary server could also do other things.

There is also the itach line of wireless serial ports. A little lower cost of entry.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
potts.mike Wrote:There is also the itach line of wireless serial ports. A little lower cost of entry.

True, mine was only if a 2ndary server would add value for other stuff. If my current 2ndary dies, i'll probably get a NUC and a NAS.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
In reading further, I discovered that Rachio working with Echo is a Skill and requires that extra verbiage of "tell Rachio to...." that proves troublesome at times. I was thinking the interplay was native, but it isn't.

Back to studying the Rain8 in more detail.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rain Bird Irrigation controllers paul 3 1,811 04-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Last Post: znelbok