Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IVB Architectural diagram
Hey guys, i've now been staring at this diagram for 4 hours. I think its human readable, but i've lost all sense of perspective. I need to record a video on this, so i'd like to make sure it makes sense first.

I'll do another diagram with the interaction mechanism (how does it all work), and another with what my system can even do, but I need to keep the videos to 5 minutes or so otherwise its too much.

[Image: 2os5sQ3h.png]
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
i think you need to simplify that big time, lest you scare folks away. Smile
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
not sure what i can delete without giving up key information. Much dumber and it'll be useless.
i dont know - it's confusing to me and i have a pretty good understanding of your setup.

i dont think we need to know what devices connect to what devices, just list out the devices you control with CQC. if any of your devices are controller via IR, dont list each one, just list the IR device like Harmony Hub. similarly, we assume that you have sensors connected to the Elk, so just list the Elk.

your marantz is the largest block in that diagram, but i think you really should have CQC at the center.

Automation Controller and Primary Tech - CQC, Elk, VRC0P
Devices - Marantz, Roku, Harmony Hub, etc ...
Control Methods - Echo, Ultimate, Touchscreens, etc ...
do the needful ...
Shouldn't Weather Underground be in green?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
here is one of mine (lots of changes since):

[Image: 4w6AMnf.jpg]
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:i dont know - it's confusing to me and i have a pretty good understanding of your setup.

i dont think we need to know what devices connect to what devices, just list out the devices you control with CQC. if any of your devices are controller via IR, dont list each one, just list the IR device like Harmony Hub. similarly, we assume that you have sensors connected to the Elk, so just list the Elk.

your marantz is the largest block in that diagram, but i think you really should have CQC at the center.

Automation Controller and Primary Tech - CQC, Elk, VRC0P
Devices - Marantz, Roku, Harmony Hub, etc ...
Control Methods - Echo, Ultimate, Touchscreens, etc ...

ah, you know what, you're half right.

My plan was to create a top level diagram that outlines the high level bits and interaction mechanism, this is intended to be a design doc. I s'pose I should go work on that first as otherwise there's no context to this.

I'm thinking out loud here, but I think I need:

A) what can IVB do with all this fancy shmancy home automation (aka how is my life any different than the unconnected house)
B) How does he interact with his system? (not sure this is different than the above, but Voice->Echo->..., or Moto360->...
C) What bits did he need to buy to get it to work (I think it's what you're talking about)
D) Software flow of control (this is a hardware diagram)

I could cover each of those topics in a 5 minute video, and they seem to be sufficiently different that different videos make sense.

I'd say i'm making my buddies buy me beers in exchange for doing this, but one is already trying to convince me to design his setup since i'm just on sabbatical. This is already enough "work".
Dean Roddey Wrote:Shouldn't Weather Underground be in green?

Ah, yes it should. Good catch.
like this -

(1) What systems IVB actually has
(2) How the systems can integrate
(3) What the integrated system can actually do

at least that's what i would do. Smile
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:here is one of mine (lots of changes since):

The thing is, i don't actually understand that diagram. I see tons of duplicative boxes (sonos, tivos), but whats the benefit of that? What Sony thing do you have? Is the Denon a receiver or a DVD player? What's an iTaq or an August? I see the systems all on IP, but they must interact somehow.

My questions might be answered with other slides, but what i'm trying to achieve is slides that I can explain without anything else on a single video.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IVB Technology Diagram IVB 19 4,478 08-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  check my wiring diagram IVB 47 10,692 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost