Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray Remote
Anybody tried one of these yet?

https://www.ray.co/

Seems to be a more robust version of Harmony. Prices in somewhere around harmony hub + remote.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
IMO - a universal remote has buttons so you can use them by feel.

I never look at the remote when I use it, I know where the buttons are.

I think the best remote is going to be a hybrid. One with a touchscreen and hard buttons as well.

The other aspect I have not liked about universal remotes is that you ned to change modes when using different devices. press TV to turn it into the TV remote, DVD for the DVD remtoe etc. Granted, I have extremely limited experience with them as I have never found one I like so I gave up.

The one remote I did like was my old Yamaha learning remote. You put the switch in to user mode, it retained all the Yahama codes for all the buttons but you could learn a new code to replace it. So I had volume up and down for the amp, input for the TV, transport for the Laserdisc player all on one remote without needing to switch between modes.

That remote is still used today on my bedside table to control my lights.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
That's the way the harmony is supposed to work. You learn each 'environment' and it knows what a projector is supposed to do, player, amp, etc. So when in the Media room, the transport functions drive the dvd player, the volume drives the amp.

But, I've tried to integrate CQC in and have struggled. I suppose I could backup and put eyes on each of my pieces, but doing that to the projector would be complex, and then I've 'broken' the idea of CQC control of everything.

I think the remote has a few hard buttons on the side, for primary volume and maybe one or two other functions. My remote simply needs volume, play, pause, power on/off, and lights on/off.
Flamin' Noobie...
Actually CQC can send individual commands via the Harmony, so you can look at it as an IR blaster, just as any other blaster would work I guess. And CQC can watch for the activity to change and do things in response in that direction.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean Roddey Wrote:Actually CQC can send individual commands via the Harmony, so you can look at it as an IR blaster, just as any other blaster would work I guess. And CQC can watch for the activity to change and do things in response in that direction.

That works well for monitoring activity level events, but once into the activity CQC doesn't see events unless I setup an IR event to trap them.

I keep promising myself I'm going to dig out one of my network attached serial port devices and see if I can get around the seemingly deviant UPB death that occurs every time I control the oppo via serial. Barring that solution, I dunno (to use your 'phraseology'). Smile

I guess now I get to see if my serial device will work on win10... was struggling to get a driver to work on win7.
Flamin' Noobie...
yea, that Ray remote is going to flop. I tried a remote without tactile buttons.

Worse

decision

ever.
--Kill all the serial ports--
So

Tell

Us

What

You

Really

Think

Smile
Flamin' Noobie...
I've been waiting for neeo.com remote as an upgrade from RTI. I just checked neeo 's website and it's still preorder. It's been like that for over a year.
--Kill all the serial ports--
i was a backer of Neeo. still waiting, 18 months later.

i read a lot about Ray and watched a few video reviews - i think it's awesome for cord cutter types, and it's ability to display guide type data on the remote is really neat.

but harmony is still in the lead right now for usability - i *loooove* my harmony hub setup.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G
The Nuvo remote was a good product in concept. Tactile buttons with IR blaster, WiFi and touchscreen.

Battery life was a little dismal and WinCE a bit iffy. redone with a better screen and say android it may be a winner.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home