Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how deep is your (echo voice control) love?
Getting 2 more today, already have one. I have a printout on the side of my bed with all the various echo voice commands as I can't remember all the device names, and forget stuff i've set up. Right now its just stuff i'd do when i'm too tired to pull out the phone, turning off lights, arming security system, adjusting HVAC. It calls IFTTT which calls a CQC web URL.

I suspect adding one in the living room and back room will make me want to do more. IE, turn TV on/off, stereo, not sure what else. Hence my question.

What do y'all do with amazon echo and voice control? Also via IFTTT or other?
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
You know, if you are just using IFTTT to avoid the extra verbiage of a third party skill, there is a Hue simulator driver that would let you set up that same sort of thing without dependence on the net connection.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
for starters, make groups in the Alexa app. no way can i remember the name of each light, so i made descriptive groups based on how we use the space. you can create a group with just a single light in it, like Couch Left or Left Couch. this makes Alexa MUCH easier to use.

"Alexa, turn off the living room couch lights."
- contains LR_Couch_1, LR_Couch_2

"Alexa, turn on the nook lights."
- contains Nook_Couch_1, Nook_Couch_2, Nook_Ceiling_1-3, Nook_Bloom

"Alexa, turn off the nook couch lights."
- contains Nook_Couch_1, Nook_Couch_2

for some stuff you might need to hunker down and use the CQC skill - things like arming your security:

"Alexa, tell Control to close the blinds."
"Alexa, tell Control to arm security."

for others, I use the IFTTT trigger keyword:

"Alexa, trigger bed time."
"Alexa, trigger movie time."
"Alexa, trigger red alert."
"Alexa, trigger night-time colors."

for the Nest, I use 'Talk to Nest':

"Alexa, Talk to Nest."

- "What would you like to say to Nest?"

"Turn the heat to 72 degrees."

- "OK."

i can currently control all of the basic functions of my home using the Echo, but where you are finding it invaluable, we are finding it's usage to wear down over time.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I love echo, have two. I use the smartthings integration and have probably a dozen commands I use regularly.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
Dean Roddey Wrote:You know, if you are just using IFTTT to avoid the extra verbiage of a third party skill, there is a Hue simulator driver that would let you set up that same sort of thing without dependence on the net connection.

But the echo needs a net connection to work, how would that be any better?
Yeh, that's true, but I guess it still leaves out another network hop. IFTTT would still have to work through the Amazon server, so you just cut out a middle man and remove a moving part.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
still though, thats a single section solution. With IFTTT I can integrate all of SmartThings devices and IFTTT devices (ie nest). Then i only have to train me/wife/kids on one syntax (Alexa, trigger <item>).
no love at all...
the cloud is scary...
and allowing the NSA to listen in on every conversion/noise you make in your house is even scarier
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Do you have to say "Alexa open IZZY" every time? I am tired of her explaining what it is.
tia, Ron

My Mexico Retirement HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, (4) JBL 8340As, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Intel NUCs, (2) Furman rack conditioners, Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens, Oppo 203, DIY B&O 14 channel amp, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable. In progress, DIY audio rack, and Synergy horns.
SomeWhatLost Wrote:no love at all...
the cloud is scary...
and allowing the NSA to listen in on every conversion/noise you make in your house is even scarier

If you seriously think that the NSA is NOT already listening via your cellphone and monitoring your traffic, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Quote: Do you have to say "Alexa open IZZY" every time? I am tired of her explaining what it is.

I say
"Alexa, turn on <light>"
"Alexa, trigger heat to <68-72>"
"Alexa, trigger arm stay mode"

I have a printout in a few different places with the light names, but after a few days we're already starting to memorize them. Its all pretty straight forward, master bedroom ceiling, night stand, kitchen, but i'm a visual guy so it helps to see it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 2,104 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC Voice Use cases IVB 20 1,807 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQC Voice Mics other than Kinect/Acoustic Magic IVB 2 356 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
  Echo integration still working for folks? IVB 5 855 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM
  Mic for CQC Voice and other misc Q's znelbok 15 3,148 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
  CQC Voice zane 3 1,574 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM
  Echo as Text-To-Speech jkmonroe 8 3,064 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 1,305 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 3,235 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 2,119 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike