Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chromecast
Anyone interested in a chromecast driver?
Is there anything there that can really be controlled externally?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
There is, I believe, a published API. It's supported by lots of apps now. The new models also include an audio competitor to Sonos, fo $35. You do need powered speakers, though.
I looked a bit at it, and I can't really make heads or tails out of it. I'm not sure where CQC would fit into it, or if Windows is in any way supported. It doesn't look like it. I mean why would you want to support the most common OS on the planet or anything?

It talks about senders and receivers and whatnot. Is the thinking here that CQC would stream music to the Chromecast widget or something like that? What are the existing apps doing? Are they just providing transport control or are they sending or receiver data?
Dean Roddey
These are just streaming devices, like sage, sonos, etc. They are however, extremely cheap (35). They are supported by pandora, netflix, browsers, synology, etc. For video, just plug in to the hdmi port and a usb port for power.
It does pretty much the same thing as the apple TV, but it's just a wireless connection.
But what are the apps doing? Are they just providing transport control over media playback and current metadata? Are they allowing for browsing of media and then pushing the selected media to the streaming device, or maybe making the connection between some source to the streaming device?
Dean Roddey
i think your app needs to support casting.

so cqc would need to cast audio. the spotify app can cast, etc. i didnt think these things have apps on them natively. but i could be wrong.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I can see that in a phone app I guess, if you had music on it and wanted to send it. For CQC, that's not generally the deal. CQC is more of a mediator between the thing that has the data and the thing that wants the data.

Not that perhaps we couldn't have a headless player that streams to to such a device or something. Though, I'd think that someone would have come up with a DirectShow driver that would do that. If so, our headless player could already do it by just selecting the right audio output. If someone hasn't done that, it would make a lot of sense for their to be such a thing, then any media enabled Windows app could send music very naturally.
Dean Roddey
If you Chromecast something like Spotify from an app on the phone, you can shut off the phone, and the casting continues.

In this case, what happens is the phone has redirected the Spotify stream from Spotify's servers towards the Chomecast receiver device. The phone can continue to show metadata about the stream, or pause the stream, but it can also go to sleep without disturbing the stream.
So, presumably it is just acting as a middle man in that sort of case.
Dean Roddey