Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone want to take over the CQC iPhone apps?
Hi, all. I just started at Google last month, which involves having to get permission for any outside projects. Unfortunately, Google has denied my request regarding the CQC apps. They are making a big push into the home automation space (maybe some of you heard about the keynote address at their developer conference this week), and I think they view the CQC apps as potential competition.

So I will no longer be working on the apps. If anyone else would like to take over the project, I'm happy to forward the source code. If not, I think I'm allowed to leave the apps in the App Store, because as long as I don't make any changes, I'm clearly not using any insider Google knowledge.

Let me know, and good look with your future CQC'ing!
Brianmount,
Best of luck with Google and thanks for all your work on the IOS CQC app. It really works great.
You could always open source it if no one wants to take it on on a commercial basis I guess.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I wouldn't mind putting the code out there, but I don't feel like going through the official open source paperwork and licensing right now (things I would need to do in general, plus specific Google open source requirements). Maybe in a couple of months I can get around to doing that.
I honestly believe that this should be a Charmed Quark product and not third party.

A perfect time to acquire the rights (price is right) and fits the business model perfectly. I know Dean is not an iOS programmer, but it does belong and should be there.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
There's not any way I could take it over. I'm already ten times over burdened. I couldn't begin to add to that becoming proficient in a completely different OS and development environment.

Our efforts will be going towards a 'fat' HTML5 client as well, so it would be twice the burden, twice the burden to take on another client.
Dean Roddey
get the source from Brian, even if you just let it sit in its current form while working towards the HTML5 interfaces.

bring it in house, and toss it up on the App Store for free.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G
Dean Roddey Wrote:Our efforts will be going towards a 'fat' HTML5 client as well, so it would be twice the burden, twice the burden to take on another client.

Would switch over to a HTML5 client in a heartbeat if it had like functionality.(or a little less). Would like to unify all my android/IOS displays. Would it have all the fancy new touchscreen scrolling the windows IV has? :-)
I'm not sure if HTML5 supports that or not. I've not dug that deep yet.
Dean Roddey
jkmonroe Wrote:get the source from Brian, even if you just let it sit in its current form while working towards the HTML5 interfaces.

bring it in house, and toss it up on the App Store for free.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. It needs to be "owned" by charmed quark. That does not mean Dean has to develop it - that may be something that can be outsourced.

Maybe not for free on the app store. The revenue obtained from sales can go directly to the update that is needed when the next iOS version comes out and breaks it.

That is something we need to be aware of. Next time it breaks there is no one to fix it and we will lose the app on iOS - how do you feel about that Dean? The app [in my opinion based on comments here] is a big draw-card and without it I think people will quickly go elsewhere. Like it or not, you need it in your suite of products.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone 6 Plus Resolution jokermac 51 12,272 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Lost my iPhone connectivity rtarver 0 1,730 11-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  CQC Riva App Iphone 6 zra 14 5,583 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Geofencing in the iOS apps. potts.mike 42 8,748 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  CQC Remote now available for iPhone brianmount 68 12,310 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM
  Current iPhone Client To-Do List brianmount 13 5,422 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM
  iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client 1.6 Submitted to app store SamVimes2 123 26,982 12-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client update coming soon SamVimes2 94 21,504 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client v1.2 Released! SamVimes2 432 55,470 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  iPhone & iPod Touch RIVA Client SamVimes2 504 66,603 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM