Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
check my wiring diagram
just updated it for the plex hangout on Wednesday. Does this make sense, or should I tweak it?

[Image: CGmEF3y.png]
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Seems reasonable...
But...
No TV/Roku for little peoples room? What a mean parental unit you are...
Comcast? You have my sincerest sympathies...

What are the dots for?
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Nice. It's difficult to pull this together in a way that is not cluttered. Same question as last post, what are the red & blue dots? Perhaps a legend to explain?

When, where is the hangout tomorrow?
Looks good to me. I would suggest making the superserver a VM server but the Moxa probably wouldn't work.

You might want to look into Sickbeard on that server to experiment with cutting the Comcast cord...
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
is that this wednesday 3/11?
also, while I am not sure it matters in the grand scheme of things....
but when you say RS232 over CAT5,
do you mean Serial over TCP/IP? in which case, why don't you just say so?
or
do you mean you are just using a cat5 cable for the wires? in this case, who cares what wires you use... doesn't really change anything?

it just seems that you are specifically specifying something unspecifically...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
SomeWhatLost Wrote:Seems reasonable...
But...
No TV/Roku for little peoples room? What a mean parental unit you are...
the little people have their own iPads, iPhones, and Chromebooks. They stream Plex to those. Kids today are rarely fixed-location. I am the anti-mean, rather the Spoiler Of Children.
Quote:Comcast? You have my sincerest sympathies...
Cheapest high speed internet around here, plus dirt cheap to add on TV. Something like $130 for 100MBps plus full cable.

Quote:What are the dots for?
I'll add a note for that, its wiring run destinations. The goal of this diagram is to not only convey physical architecture, but where to run the wiring.

Quote:when you say RS232 over CAT5,
do you mean Serial over TCP/IP? in which case, why don't you just say so?
or
do you mean you are just using a cat5 cable for the wires? in this case, who cares what wires you use... doesn't really change anything?
No, its RS232 over CAT5. I have an RJ45->DB9 converter on each end. WAY cheaper than serial over tcp/ip, more stable as its just wire. I need to specify it to convey how many different uses CAT5 has, and why I say to run 4-8 runs to your home theater location.

Quote:is that this wednesday 3/11?
yeah, although the last 2 wednesdays we had a last minute 1 week delay. 5pm PST, 8pm EST. Check GooglePlus for hangout info, not sure i'll have time to post it here. I believe they'll also have live YouTube watching, not sure. I doubt they'll set up to allow audience members to ask questions, purely view-only. Its the AVNation DIY Show podcast.
wuench Wrote:Looks good to me. I would suggest making the superserver a VM server but the Moxa probably wouldn't work.
yeah everyone says that, but it works so i'm loathe to change. Just joined my 5th soccer team, 5 games/week + beers after 2 of them = very little time to fix stuff that ain't broke.
One of mine broke, well, the PI wasn't cutting it for running Logitech Media Server, so I spun up Hyper-V and had a new instance of LMS up and running in less that 4 hours. What's really cool, the backup is just a file copy.

When my Kitchen all in one touch screen computer dies (6+ years old now) I'm probably going to replace it with a good touch screen and run a VM off the server.
I'll back the VM line as well. I too was using the Pi as a LMS and it was so slow and crap that I gave up. I run a VM hypervisor (ESXi) so I just ran up a new linux server and put LMS on there in its own dedicated OS and its perfect.

Did the same with Plex, Twonky and other stuff as well. VM is really so flexible for testing added functionality as well as running everything else and as stated, backup is just a file.

The Moxa probably wont work, but a USB to serial or ethernet to serial (as I use) will work.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IVB Technology Diagram IVB 19 4,469 08-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  IVB Architectural diagram IVB 18 3,888 11-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost