Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Watch
I just finished watching the Apple Watch event. It would be pretty cool if CQC client worked with it so we could use it on our wrists! The watch begins shipping on 4/24.

Rich
Can it run a web browser?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
If you ask that to get CQC onto it via the browser than that just sounds like a crude hack.

If the watch could runt he iOS app for CQC ( a watch version at least) that would be a great point to get out onto the interwebs to help promote the product. But that in itself raises issues as CQ does not own the IP to the app.

Not sure I would buy a watch, but would like to CQC get onto it - especially if it could be used as a beacon and track your location within the house.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
The reason I ask is that we are working on an HTML5 client, so it would be a real client with (hopefully) a pretty large subset of the IV's capabilities, and the content will be driven from standard IV templates. I've been working on the basics of it for a while now.
Dean Roddey
Even having the xml based client would be sweet.
From what I've read it doesn't have a full browser, but uses WebView for certain apps that display their data in HTML. I was thinking along the same lines as znelbok, that it would be cool if the existing CQC IOS app (by brianmount) would work in at least a limited capacity on the watch. Here's a link to an interesting article on browsers for watches:

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/...for_a.html

Some apps for the watch have already been mentioned, and I've seen four announced for home automation so far. A Lutron app, a Honeywell app, one that can control a Hue (OnSwitch), and one by Alarm.com that controls home security. Here are a couple links:

[/url]

[url=http://www.cnet.com/products/alarm-com-for-apple-watch/]http://www.cnet.com/products/alarm-com-for-apple-watch/
One of the links didn't post for some reason. Here it is again:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/09/what-yo...-new-ones/

You have to scroll way down to get to the home automation apps.
I have talked before about how I think the RIVA protocol is the wrong way to go on mobile devices, preferring a connectionless, non-graphical protocol like XML Gateway. Those comments hold doubly true for the Apple Watch. I think RIVA on the Watch is a bad idea, both because it puts the burden of graphical presentation on the individual user and because it requires a continuous connection. The XML Gateway approach we used for the CQC Remote app seems vastly superior.
Yeh, for a watch, the requirement for a continuous connection would be a problem. You could go with Websockets via the web server. Though it is a 'continuous connection' it's not in the same way that RIVA is. It's a connection that can be lost and regained without a problem. But if they have some sort of app framework on the watch and doesn't support WS, then probably best to stick with something like the XMLGW since it only requires the ability to open a socket and parse XML. And of course an XMLGW based one wouldn't have to be event driven, which WS apps are and that can kind of be a pain because it's not as natural as call/response to work with.
Dean Roddey
brianmount Wrote:I have talked before about how I think the RIVA protocol is the wrong way to go on mobile devices, preferring a connectionless, non-graphical protocol like XML Gateway. Those comments hold doubly true for the Apple Watch. I think RIVA on the Watch is a bad idea, both because it puts the burden of graphical presentation on the individual user and because it requires a continuous connection. The XML Gateway approach we used for the CQC Remote app seems vastly superior.

Any chance of supporting the watch?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple iBeacons potts.mike 10 3,502 12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Last Post: potts.mike