Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neeo remote on kickstarter
$1.5M isn't necessarily as much as it sounds like in business terms, at least for a business that is trying to bring a product out on a short time scale. You can pay the piper in human blood and work for a long period of time with a small number of people making almost nothing (sounds familiar), or you can hire a larger number of mercenaries and try to do it fast. 20 mercs at $100K in salary and expenses (not unusual for technically good people) would eat through that in around 9 months. And they'd have to have considerably more bucks coming in well before that in order to keep folks from getting nervous.

Maybe that's not applicable to the type of project they are doing, or maybe they have spread out the equity to a large number of people willing to work for very little so it's mostly all available for the company expenses and such, I dunno. Just saying it may not be that much money when you are talking about product development on a tight schedule.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I think with $1.5M of seed money, they can probably find investors if necessary. I think kickstarter is probably one of the coolest ideas to come along in a long while. Right behind sno-cones.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
I didn't put my money in it. No guarantee it'll work with CQC and I think it needs more physical buttons to be really useful. It does look very awesome though....

Maybe in 8+ months I'll jump on it.
--Kill all the serial ports--
I just saw that Ninja Blocks, which raised $800K on Kickstarter and used that to get $1.6M in VC money, just went down.
Dean Roddey
i backed this - hopefully it turns out as expected and not ninja blocks.

which surprised me, because ninja blocks on kickstarter was more of a v.2 since they already had a product. *shrug*
And another one, or partial one:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/12/quirk...-products/
Dean Roddey
I am sure that people have lost interest in this by now but they have posted the SDK on Github.

https://neeoinc.github.io/neeo-sdk/
https://github.com/NEEOInc/neeo-sdk
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
Only 2 and a half years late the remote is shipping with a full, open, SDK.

https://planet.neeo.com
Has it been that long already? Interesting that it still looks about like what they promised 2+ years ago and it'still pretty sexy. Means they hit the design right back then. Looks to work essentially like a harmony hub, but with more style. Automation guys are kinda stuck. We spend all this moolah so we have wired control, and then all the sexy hand gadgets just want to do IR.

It would be cool if we could integrate this into CQC. Harmony remote is ok, just not that enamored with it. Would a driver be that tough? Essentially it would be a pass through; i.e. Receive an IR string and a destination from the device, and route that through CQC drivers.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
(08-23-2017, 07:21 PM)rtarver Wrote: Has it been that long already? Interesting that it still looks about like what they promised 2+ years ago and it'still pretty sexy. Means they hit the design right back then. Looks to work essentially like a harmony hub, but with more style. Automation guys are kinda stuck. We spend all this moolah so we have wired control, and then all the sexy hand gadgets just want to do IR.

It would be cool if we could integrate this into CQC. Harmony remote is ok, just not that enamored with it. Would a driver be that tough? Essentially it would be a pass through; i.e. Receive an IR string and a destination from the device, and route that through CQC drivers.

The brain does ip control and, with the sdk, anyone can write their own driver. Also, all the ir comes from the brain or attached blaster, no ir from the remote.

Also, hitting url can invoke macros and recipes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  remote or Corp Apartment HA in my future IVB 19 2,799 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Last Post: IVB
  My RTI Remote Setup Experience bbrendon 10 3,233 09-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  Remote Control Questions jbh5000 24 3,744 01-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  U-verse Remote LesAuber 7 1,585 11-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey