Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open SONOS API?
Never believe what you hear on the internet, but:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/19/sonos-want...arty-apps/
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Sonos is getting hit on all sides by cheaper alternatives but up until now those solutions aren't as complete. It's just a matter of time though and I see this as a smart business move to try to help further entrench themselves before a worthy challenger steps up.

Unfortunately, besides the competition, the quality coming out of Sonos isn't up to their normal standards. Previously, the Sonos software just worked and regardless of what version of old hardware you had, it worked. Well, the latest Sonos app for the iPad is not getting good reviews and is missing features from their previous app. Not sure why they even created a new app but it definitely is having growing pains at this point.

To wrap up, this is one of the main pieces to the puzzle that I've wanted in CQC and so I can only hope that they do indeed open up their system, especially the grouping and selecting Pandora stations.
Since its a job posting it seems like just a matter of time now.
An upside side effect is that Sonos doesn't get hit with all the Pandora etc bandwidth that I'm sure gets tracked somehow and ends up in their royalty fees. Well, maybe. Maybe integration would still require somehow notifying the provider of where the music is being sent.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
This would be great. I am currently shopping around and thinking of going with a Nuvo set-up just because Sonos won't work well w/ CQC... but if that changes, I would totally switch to Sonos (if I hadn't already purchased Nuvo). This is only because Nuvo will be a pain to run wires, buy speakers, then the Concerto, then figure it all out w/o a dealers help because I don't want to pay dealer fees. DIY for the win.
Caleb
CQC Noob
I don't think that Sonos works badly with CQC. Plenty of people are using it. Sonos may not expose all of the functionality you'd like via the UPnP interface, but what's available works well to my knowledge.
Dean Roddey
honestly, I love my Sonos. Its really not a big deal to have an alternate app to control *what* music is being played. And once the source is set to Sonos I have CQC also set volume to the highest I'd want it, and use the Sonos app to reduce it.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I just know when I purchased a Sonos Play1 a few months ago (~ June of 2014), I had a heck of a time getting it to play nice with CQC. I only want to have CQC auto change to different Pandora stations that are prebuilt in CQC, but I could not figure it out.
Caleb
CQC Noob
Various folks are using the SetTransportURI thing to select stations, though maybe there's something different about Pandora. Since Sonos currently doesn't expose the station stuff in an sort of even semi-official way, there's no guarantee that any given station will be directly selectable I guess.
Dean Roddey
there is a way to select the URI - play what you want via the Sonos app, then in CQC you can see the URI. I just copied that and write it back from a command button.

i do it for Spotify playlists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sonos amp Dean Roddey 3 6,746 09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos going public? Dean Roddey 0 2,334 07-07-2018, 10:08 PM
  Scheduling next webinar (Sonos/TTS) IVB 6 2,364 02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Uverse and Sonos kblagron 5 2,567 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
  Lutron adds support for Alexa and Sonos ControlFreak 2 2,283 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Sonos opens its platform to Spotify Connect and Amazon's Alexa batwater 14 4,077 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Sonos TTS potts.mike 35 5,974 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Last Post: batwater
  CQC Media Repo - Sonos potts.mike 15 3,931 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
  Sonos Opinions zra 51 8,661 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Question for Sonos Owners jkmonroe 23 6,888 09-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Last Post: kfly