Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with iOS 8?
Hello, all. A user contacted me and said he started to have problems with the CQC Client app after he upgraded to iOS 8. This is the first I'd heard, but maybe I need to investigate. Can anyone who is using iOS 8 chime in and tell me whether they've been having problems as well? Thanks.

Brian
I do get errors that cannot connect to the server, but a couple of retries generally get me in. I can send screen shots if you want.
I'm running 8.1 with CQC. Every 2 or 3 days I get a message on my iPad that it can't connect to the server. I manually reconnect it.
Same here. Thought nothing of it though.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I am the guilty person. I sent Brian an email about this. My IPAD disconnects after a time then will not reconnect without shutting the APP down and restarting. It doesn't always happen and I tested the same thing using the RIVA windows client and didn't seem to have the same issues.
The reconnect thing is annoying. Can it somehow run in the background for a bit longer and stay connected?
--Kill all the serial ports--
How long does it take before disconnecting? If I remember correctly, I do have code to attempt to stay connected as long as Apple will let me, but that's not very long. I assume you have set the "Idle Timer" setting to the maximum, 60 minutes, in the app's server settings (on the Opt page). I think that's the most I can do.

I don't have a CQC system I can use to test this on. If someone wants to set one up for me, I can take a look. But unless you're telling me that the disconnect is happening after only a few minutes, I'm not sure what can be done. The basic problem is that RIVA is a connection-based protocol, which is the wrong approach in this case. The right way to go is a stateless sort of protocol like HTTP. In fact, the other app, CQC Remote, does exactly that, using the XML Gateway interface to CQC. When we wrote that app, we thought it would be the wave of the future, and that everyone would want to switch to it, not only because it can reconnect automatically to right where it left off, but also because you don't have to fuss so much with the graphical look of your interface template. However, since it appears that everyone is still using CQC Client, I think it must be the case that people like their fully customized interface templates, and don't want to switch away from them. That's fine, but just be aware that you will always suffer from disconnections because of the interaction between RIVA's requirement for a continuous connection and Apple's requirement that apps not hold connections open forever in the background. I think that's just the way it is.

-- Brian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new iPad, new problems - connection refused finish.06 2 2,218 06-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Last Post: finish.06