Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BenQ W1070 Projector
I have settled on this guy for my media room. I still have a some work to do down there, but we have a hard finish date of the super bowl, so I need to see about getting a driver written. It is controlled via RS232, with a full command set:

After reading through the commands, I would like the following:

Immediate Need:

Power On/Off/Status
Source HDMI/Status (receiver does switching, so maybe I don't need this)

Longer Term Wants:

Picture Control User1/User2/User3/Status
Lamp Control (ALL)

Longer Longer Term Wants (if at all):

Picture Setting Aspect 16:9/16:10/Auto/Real/Letterbox/Wide/Anamorphic/Status
I don't want this to get buried ...

Dean, if I take something like the older InFocus driver, do you think it would be possible to hack-about to control at least the Power and get Power Status from the BenQ?
I thought that there was an older BenQ driver floating around somewhere on the forum? Search around and see if you can find one. I'm pretty sure I remember one, but the memory is the first thing to go. If so, that would be the obvious place to start assuming they haven't completely changed the protocol or something.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I found quite a few posts discussing having a driver written, but I haven't found a driver pack. grr ...
PM some of the folks involved and maybe they have one.
Dean Roddey
I PM'd about the BenQ to see if there is a driver, but it doesn't look like one was ever released. The user who talked about a PDL driver is no longer here (last here in 2009), and Ron said he never had a driver for the BenQ.
As barbaric as it sounds, I've used the generic serial driver to hard code commands when in a pinch. All you need is the protocol. This doesn't give you status, but it does give you control.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
i didnt know that was a thing. thanks!
so... anything happen with this?
anyone make a Benq driver?
my needs/wants line up pretty much exactly with jkmonroe's...

looks like you can do a simple PDL driver for this I think (PDL can send {CR} I think?)
so should be easy...
just wish someone already did this...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
If there's some revenues in it, I can probably do one. Though I'd want to look at the protocol to see how (probably) bad it is. Most projectors are bad.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which JVC Projector Driver indygreg 29 7,558 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Panasonic Projector Driver ellisr63 13 2,181 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Epson ESC/VP21 Projector Driver wuench 49 61,852 12-30-2015, 07:14 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Add projector model to Epson ESC/VP21 driver jaydonoghue 7 2,065 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New Epson TW1000/2000 Projector Driver robertmee 54 14,665 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  driver for benq pe 7700 projector rip74 4 2,796 04-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Last Post: rip74
  Barco Projector CML Driver dcpete 2 2,573 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dcpete