Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillips hue tap
Does the current hue driver support the tap swtches? If not could it be added? I'd look to place a couple of these around the house and us them to trigger events.
What are those? I remember some previous discussion but I can't remember what exactly they are.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I searched the docs and I don't see any info about tap switches other than the ability to set up a rule for a tap switch. It doesn't indicate any means to fake a tap to invoke a rule, or to allow CQC to react to a tap.

And it's a polled device and can't be polled super-fast, so we wouldn't be able to react really quickly to one of them changing state, in order to drive a user action trigger.

Do the tap switches show up in the list of lights when you use the

/api/<username>/lights

URL in a browser? And can you get an off/on state using the light state URL. Use the ID that you see for that switch in the above output.

/api/<username>/lights/<id>
Dean Roddey
The tap switches, as I understand them, are non-powered. They generate enough of an electrical pulse when they are pushed to transmit a command.

I suspect that Mike is proposing using them as a communication device to trigger a non-related to Hue event in CQC. That would no doubt mean the Hue Bridge would have to be able to accept the transmission and relay it to CQC as a command.
Yeh, that's what I was thinking he was wanting. I'm not sure it's doable.
Dean Roddey
I don't actually have one yet but if the bridge doesn't send out some sort of message then it won't work.

Any chance of supporting these instead?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flic-...art-button
potts.mike Wrote:I don't actually have one yet but if the bridge doesn't send out some sort of message then it won't work.

Any chance of supporting these instead?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flic-...art-button

Doesn't look like it would be of much use in and of itself. It's designed to talk to a smart phone, from what I can figure out. So you'd have to set up your smart phone to actually send out the command to CQC, possibly through tasker or any way you can make it send an HTTP GET which can trigger our HTTP based trigger driver.
Dean Roddey
good point, I guess it would be easiest to bake it into one of the existing apps.
the hue taps are really powerful but they dont listen for the bridge. they do talk to it using the Zigbee Green Power/HA stack.

an example, you can single press button 1 to turn a light on, press button 1 twice and you can turn on a scene, press button 1 3 times and you can enable yet another scene. basically each button will allow a number of presses to be independent triggers for lights or scenes, and there are 4 buttons per tap. the Philips app does not enable this functionality, but third party apps do (its in the api docs).

basically, 1 tap could conceptually control every Hue light in your home.

each tap is also entirely independent, so the tap next to the front door can enable different lights and scenes than the one upstairs.

the 'scenes' themselves are actually stored in the bulb, and the Hue bridge can pair with Hue, Lux, GE Link, Bloom, Iris, and the LED Strip (all tested by myself or close friends).

basically, the more I learn about them, the more i start to think they could actually be a whole home lighting replacement.

now, if the Quirky Tapt switch can pair and control the Hue/Lux/GELink/Bloom/Iris stuff, I will replace every light in my home with them, wire everything to be always on, and put blanks over each switch.

There are also new Hue devices, the Hue Beyond, and 3D Printed Lamps.
I didn't see much in the API docs about the tap thingies. What are you finding in there that would be of use for us via CQC? It's a pure call/response API, so there's no way for it to send any sort of notification. We can only poll for status, so if the status is there in some way we could read it, though with some delay for polling.

Scene stuff is there of course, and more of that could be exposed via the Hue driver I assume, but I've not looked into it.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Hue charles 2 672 03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Last Post: znelbok