Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Galaxy Tab or iPad
i usually have connection issues, where i have to tap settings and the server multiple times before it'll connect. (taRiva). do you have that issue, or is it always-working for you? I've had this on the smartphones, I think the tablets were better but I rarely use those so can't recall.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:i usually have connection issues, where i have to tap settings and the server multiple times before it'll connect. (taRiva). do you have that issue, or is it always-working for you? I've had this on the smartphones, I think the tablets were better but I rarely use those so can't recall.
When I wake it up from a sleep it takes a couple of taps on the reconnect button before it sees the WIFI...other than that it has been working fine.
tia, Ron

My Mexico Retirement HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, (4) JBL 8340As, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Intel NUCs, (2) Furman rack conditioners, Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens, Oppo 203, DIY B&O 14 channel amp, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable. In progress, DIY audio rack, and Synergy horns.
What I have found is that if I kill the taRiva task (still in memory, remove from recent list) after I exit then I can reconnect immediately but if I try to just go back into taRiva it will hang. Something is getting orphaned on the android side I believe, the developer was never able to fix the problem.

-Ben
ellisr63 Wrote:When I wake it up from a sleep it takes a couple of taps on the reconnect button before it sees the WIFI...other than that it has been working fine.

Do you mean before the tablet sees wifi or the taRiva application? If the tablet then you need to change a setting in "Advanced Wi-Fi", "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Always. I have all of our android devices set this way.

The other thing I've done is set a DHCP reservation on the home router for each Android device so that I can identify when they are on the network and/or do direct communication to the device.

-Ben
I have to frequently reconnect when using taRiva on my Note 3 (android). I had the same issues with previous android phones. It has nothing to do with going to sleep or reconnecting to wireless. Just while using the client, I frequently have to reconnect which can be frustrating, but I primarily use it when remote anyway.

For those reasons, I have been looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet for a while. I have been around since Windows Mobile CE and I have previously not been a fan of Windows tablet platforms at all. With full 8.1 tablets, it appears Microsoft has finally gotten the mobile OS down. Last week I got a 10" windows mobile tablet for $150 and I have never been happier. For the first time since I have been using CQC, I feel like I have an adequate thin platform for a touchpanel in my home and this is after going through many iterations. I don't see myself moving away from android for phone use because I still feel like it is the best mobile platform for my needs, but nothing beats windows for CQC client use in my experience.

Joey
batwater Wrote:Do you mean before the tablet sees wifi or the taRiva application? If the tablet then you need to change a setting in "Advanced Wi-Fi", "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Always. I have all of our android devices set this way.

The other thing I've done is set a DHCP reservation on the home router for each Android device so that I can identify when they are on the network and/or do direct communication to the device.

-Ben
I was mistaken... It is whenever my tablet goes to sleep. It is not a TaRiva problem as it happens with a game I am playing also.
tia, Ron

Yamaha CX-A5100, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, (4) JBL 8340As, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, Intel NUCs, (2) Furman rack conditioners, Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens, Oppo 203, DIY B&O 14 channel amp, Pro-Ject RPM Turntable. In progress, DIY audio rack, and Synergy horns.
joeberg Wrote:I have to frequently reconnect when using taRiva on my Note 3 (android). I had the same issues with previous android phones. It has nothing to do with going to sleep or reconnecting to wireless. Just while using the client, I frequently have to reconnect which can be frustrating, but I primarily use it when remote anyway.

For those reasons, I have been looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet for a while. I have been around since Windows Mobile CE and I have previously not been a fan of Windows tablet platforms at all. With full 8.1 tablets, it appears Microsoft has finally gotten the mobile OS down. Last week I got a 10" windows mobile tablet for $150 and I have never been happier. For the first time since I have been using CQC, I feel like I have an adequate thin platform for a touchpanel in my home and this is after going through many iterations. I don't see myself moving away from android for phone use because I still feel like it is the best mobile platform for my needs, but nothing beats windows for CQC client use in my experience.

Joey
Which windows tablet did you get for that cheap? I purchased a Surface RT last year for my wife and it was about $400.
tia, Ron

ellisr63 Wrote:Which windows tablet did you get for that cheap? I purchased a Surface RT last year for my wife and it was about $400.

It was a Cyber Week sale at Best Buy. It is actually an "unbranded" tablet. It is now back up to $179, but that was the cheapest 10" non-RT Windows tablet I could find. Link below for the same model. Prices have really dropped on the tablets. I was seriously considering the Dell Venue 8 Pro currently $150 at Bestbuy Also, but wanted the larger screen, but I have heard good things about the Venue 8 Pros.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/windows-8-10...Id=9496117

I also got the stand below from Amazon for $10 which I highly recommend and will buy again as I add other tablets.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Angle-E-read...00N1VDCGO/

And I got the right-angle usb adapter below to keep the cable connection for charging to a minimum. It works well with this particular tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSXUJ7Y

Joey
joeberg Wrote:It was a Cyber Week sale at Best Buy. It is actually an "unbranded" tablet. It is now back up to $179, but that was the cheapest 10" non-RT Windows tablet I could find. Link below for the same model. Prices have really dropped on the tablets. I was seriously considering the Dell Venue 8 Pro currently $150 at Bestbuy Also, but wanted the larger screen, but I have heard good things about the Venue 8 Pros.

I also got the stand below from Amazon for $10 which I highly recommend and will buy again as I add other tablets.

And I got the right-angle usb adapter below to keep the cable connection for charging to a minimum. It works well with this particular tablet.

Joey
Thanks, I just ordered the stand.
tia, Ron

joeberg Wrote:It was a Cyber Week sale at Best Buy. It is actually an "unbranded" tablet. It is now back up to $179, but that was the cheapest 10" non-RT Windows tablet I could find. Link below for the same model. Prices have really dropped on the tablets. I was seriously considering the Dell Venue 8 Pro currently $150 at Bestbuy Also, but wanted the larger screen, but I have heard good things about the Venue 8 Pros.

Joey
I just got my stand... I love it! It is a bit smaller than I thought and can actually be used for my Samsung Note phone too. It is a very nice compact piece that is made out of aluminum. Thanks for the link as it saved mt $30 over buying the ones they show made out of cardboard (or whatever cheap materials they use).
tia, Ron

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPad battery swelling after years of 24x7 kfly 0 784 06-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Another iPad Mount - iPort with Buttons znelbok 0 674 10-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  IP Control of Samsung TV's znelbok 2 1,960 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Last Post: khill
  Samsung WiFi Enabled Air Conditioners znelbok 0 1,808 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Samsung TV and wireless remote znelbok 42 15,182 09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Last Post: batwater