Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TouchID integration?
Is it possible to utilize the new TouchID feature of the iOS devices.

Some thoughts that come to mind.

Logging in to the app/server. We have to program a password in now for the server so having a prompt for the password/TouchID would add more security should the phone be lost (this is more for the portable device, and not the one that stays at home.

Entering a password for say an alarm disarm. Instead of typing the passcode in , use the TouchID feature.

Access to "restricted" pages to prevent some users from accessing pages they are not meant to get access to.

Just some thoughts

Mick

PS - I think the option of prompting for a password when making the connection to the server would add a lot of security to the app. If my phone were to be lost and found by someone who could find where I lived it could be used to gain access to the house very easily.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I would definitely argue for not configuring the username/password directly into the configuration. But, trying to use something else instead of just typing in the CQC username/password would kind of get you right back where you were before, because you'd have to store the username/password somewhere in order to grab it and send it to CQC after doing the TouchID login to the iOS client.

Of course you put the CQC name/pw into some encrypted file that is only accessible once you have logged in successfully, but that's not much protection really. If it was, then getting the phone stolen wouldn't be very dangerous to begin with. Having the username/password only in your head and having to enter it when you run the client is the safest of all.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Lastpass do it currently so there is definitely a way to do it - I don't know the ins and outs of iOS which is why the question was posted here.

With Lastpass, you have to log into the app with a password first and from there you can use TouchID as authentication. Apple must have some API around TouchID for them to be using it.

Two factor authentication also becomes possible - something you know and something you have.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Any update on this - Can we integrate TouchID at all?

I still think there are valid reasons for having it such as logon, and custom user actions (press disarm button and TouchID is required for command to finish processing).

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home