Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread
I could use some clarification as well.is it going to be able to log to a database or just a trigger to do what you want with?
The problem has always been that monitoring the fields of other drivers from a driver is pretty low performance and has to be done via the simple field client which isn't all that convenient. You have to poll one field at a time and if there are a good number of fields involved it's pretty slow and cumbersome. And often a lot of the driver related housekeeping stuff is not relevant for what needs to be done, so it's just extra busywork.

OTOH, a triggered event really doesn't have any really good way to maintain more than very simple context across invocations, basically global variables, and there's nothing that prevents it from running more than one instance at the same time either if multiple triggers come in that both match the filter criteria, which is often not what you want.

JKish's irrigation driver is a good example. It needs to monitor a good number of fields and it needs to maintain a lot of context over time as it does things. It's not really a driver in and of itself, it's more of a thing that monitors other drivers and uses that field info to do something useful.

That's the sort of thing these are for. They run continuously like a driver, but they aren't drivers. And they are a lot simpler to write than a driver, because they don't have to deal with all of the stuff that drivers do, and the interface is very simple. They can very efficiently monitor a substantial number of fields because it's done for them and they are just informed when any fields change. Plus they can do regular housekeeping work via a periodic callback (the interval of which they can set.)

Since they aren't drivers they can't expose a field interface. However, if they do want to do so, they can also have a simple companion driver that they write info to in order to expose status about themselves for consumption by clients. And that driver can be used to send them commands as well. I'll probably also add a simple, direct command sending option as well. Since that driver just exists to expose some fields, it can easily be written in PDL so it'll be easy to do.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I got a good chunk of the event monitor configuration interface stuff done. I've got the new tab set up and the dialog to edit/add new ones basically worked out. So tomorrow I'll work on finishing up the final config interface details and start working on the managing of them via the server and getting them running.
Dean Roddey
Did more work on the monitor configuration stuff, but also spent a lot of time on this and that small fixes and looking into things reported to keep on top of any issues and get them taken care of so they don't fester. I can't do a drop though until I get through the event monitor stuff and get everything put back together and tested, which will probably be a few more days.
Dean Roddey
I've almost got the event monitors stuff completed. I just need to do detail work on the pause/resume, add new, delete existing, stuff, to make sure that they get started, stopped, updated, etc... as they are supposed to when configuration changes, that the client and server stay in sync, etc... I've got them starting up upon load of the event server, compiling the CML and kicking it off. All that is working fine and they are running and reacting to field changes and whatnot. And the client side configuration interface seems to be doing the right thing as well.

So it's just detail work to test it out and catch any gotchas I can find. If all goes well and nothing turns up that becomes an issue I may get it all finished off tomorrow. Once I have that stuff working, I'll take care of a few more things on the list and get a new beta drop out.
Dean Roddey
I decided yesterday that my event monitor stuff had a few too many moving parts so I re-worked it. I got it back today and a lot further along, almost all the way there. I'd also forgotten about things like an action command to pause/resume them, and displaying paused/resumed state on the configuration tab. And also the issue that these are unlike the other events in that these can fail to start due to CML compilation issues (or wrong base class) so there has to be a failed state that is displayed as well, and correctly dealing with failure.

So I got those issues worked out and the client side configuration tab is correctly starting and stopping and reconfiguring them, and seems to be all keeping in sync and whatnot. I think it's almost ready to let into the wild. I still need to bang on it a bit more and take care of some other things that have made it onto the list, and then I'll get a new beta out.

I've probably almost got enough stuff to back port to a 4.6.1, but I'll wait a while longer yet. I don't want to do any more rounds of that than absolutely necessary because of the big time suckage involved.
Dean Roddey
Dean,

I just downloaded the lastest beta, and among a few different issues, the event server is not able to be loaded.
Hmmm... Obviously I did make changes, but only to add new stuff. Oh! stupid me. There's a new DLL and I didn't include it in the release. Hang on and I'll put up another one that has the new DLL. Sorry about that.
Dean Roddey
all good Smile
OK, I put up a .902, which should be ok. Sorry about that. I tested so much other stuff but somehow failed to test the one thing that mattered.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 40,418 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,299 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 151,111 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 7,898 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 87,586 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 8,797 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 196,384 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,444 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 488,965 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 13,266 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM