Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather jpg stops downloading after a few weeks
I am back from my trip, and have fired up the debugger to look at the RIVA message flow. When I connect to the server provided by kfly, and press the LightBulb button, I get, among other things, a DrawBitmap message telling me to draw http://www.centennialbulb.org/ctbulb.jpg, serial number 1. Once the server is done drawing the screen, that's it. I don't get any other messages. It just sits there. When I switch to Weather and back to LightBulb, I get a new DrawBitmap message, but the serial number is still 1. That is odd, because I thought that it was at least updating when I did that.

So several questions:

1. kfly, do things update properly when you connect to your test server with the Windows RIVA client?

2. Dean, is the RIVA server supposed to automatically redraw the screen every minute when this sort of auto-updating widget is present? Or does a redraw only happen when there's other activity on the screen?

3. Dean again, how do the serial numbers work? When I disconnect and then reconnect, the serial number is once again 1, even though the image has updated. So if I have an old version of the image cached, I would use it erroneously, whereas when I clear the cache and force the app to download a new version, I get an image with an updated time. I remember you talking long ago about persistent versus non-persistent serial numbers, but I can't recall if that was in the RIVA or XML Gateway context. How does RIVA work across sessions?

Thanks.
It should be redrawing on each change. Actually, it has to be order those updates wouldn't show up in the IV itself. So I'm not sure why it wouldn't be passing along those messages. The Windows RIVA is updating OK now, so I'm pretty sure it should be sending them. Maybe it's sending something beside DrawBitmap. I'll check.

The serial numbers should go up any time the images changes. Either the URL could change in which case you would get a different image key, or the serial number should go up of it's the same URL but the image was updated.

Let me see how the Windows RIVA client is getting those requests, via which msg.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
brianmount Wrote:I am back from my trip, and have fired up the debugger to look at the RIVA message flow. When I connect to the server provided by kfly, and press the LightBulb button, I get, among other things, a DrawBitmap message telling me to draw http://www.centennialbulb.org/ctbulb.jpg, serial number 1. Once the server is done drawing the screen, that's it. I don't get any other messages. It just sits there. When I switch to Weather and back to LightBulb, I get a new DrawBitmap message, but the serial number is still 1. That is odd, because I thought that it was at least updating when I did that.

So several questions:

1. kfly, do things update properly when you connect to your test server with the Windows RIVA client?

2. Dean, is the RIVA server supposed to automatically redraw the screen every minute when this sort of auto-updating widget is present? Or does a redraw only happen when there's other activity on the screen?

Thanks.
Yes the Windows Riva and Native IV do update when I change screens.

Dean Can you add an option to update the Web widget once a minute? I think there was already and option to do it more frequently.
You mean the web image widget, right? And you want a slower update than it currently does?
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:You mean the web image widget, right? And you want a slower update than it currently does?
Correct Web Image Widget. Would like to have an option for a 1 minute update.
Thanks
Kevin
I just checked in the Windows RIVA client. And I'm getting the TDrawBitmap msg regularly and the serial number is going up each time. Since it's set up to auto-reload, it's going back to the server each time that it reloads. So it downloads a new image and stores it and bumps the serial number. The image may not actually have changed of course, but it got a new one.

Keep in mind that this isn't related to the persistent ids and whatnot, which are just for media cover art images. These are just regular image cache images, though web cache in this case (if you keep a separate cache for the different types.) So each time it gets down a new image it will bump the serial number. If the URL changes it would add that one to the cache and the serial number would go back to 1 (but with a new image key this time.) Well, if the URL had previously been accessed, the serial number would actually just go to the next value after whatever it last had for that URL.

BTW, the RIVA server will limit auto-update to a minimum of 5 seconds, even if it's set faster than that.
Dean Roddey
Strange. This is with the test server that kfly set up for me? Or are you using a different server? If the latter, can you give me the details, so I can connect to it? If you are indeed using kfly's server, I can't imagine why you are getting message flow, while I am not. Are you sending any information to the server to trigger the messages? I must only be sending the regular ping messages and nothing else. Are you sending other messages? Very mysterious.

I may well be doing something wrong with the serial numbers, but that's not the issue here, because I'm not getting any messages at all.
You mean using that light bulb image, or do you mean connecting to his CQC system? I used the light bulb image, talking to the RIVA server here on my own system. But, given that he is also getting updates on the Windows RIVA client, it seems pretty certain that it would work if I connected to his also.

I'm not sending any messages or anything, other than as with you the pingy thingies. It's just sitting there passively.

Depending on how long he has the refresh period on the web image widget set to, you should be seeing draw bitmap messages that many seconds apart.

Just as a sanity check he could put an animated image widget on the template to see if you get those ongoing messages.

You sure that you aren't rejecting the message somewhere upstream in your msg processing or something like that?
Dean Roddey
Ah, then maybe there's some difference between the way the two templates are set up. Dean, are you able to open up your template for me to connect to it? And/or, kfly, are you able to PM Dean the details you sent me, so he can try to connect to your system with his client?
brianmount Wrote:Ah, then maybe there's some difference between the way the two templates are set up. Dean, are you able to open up your template for me to connect to it? And/or, kfly, are you able to PM Dean the details you sent me, so he can try to connect to your system with his client?

Dean let me know if you need me to re-PM connection details. Is there another web image you want me to add to the test template?

thx