Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather jpg stops downloading after a few weeks
OK, 4.5.7 is posted, and I think it should deal with this issue. Let me know if not.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean Roddey Wrote:OK, 4.5.7 is posted, and I think it should deal with this issue. Let me know if not.

Dean,
After a few days of testing here is the results:
Windows IV: Works
Windows RIVA: Works
IOS RIVA: Broken

Looks like the "Static Web Image Widget" on IOS will download the image one time and then not update it again.

I found this test link that updates every minute to replicate the issue with.(Yes someone put a webcam that watches a lightbulb).
http://www.centennialbulb.org/ctbulb.jpg

On the iPad only a clear cache will update the jpg. (tried a ios reboot/cqcclient app restart)
There is a serial number associated with the image son the server side cache. Each time the image is updated that serial number gets bumped. But, in this case I wonder if I'm actually updating the serial number on the image itself, in most cases the images drawn come from the IV engine's cache and so automatically get the updated serial number. But in this case, the web image widget stores its own image, and I may have to bump the serial number directly on the image itself so that the RIVA client will see it as a change.

I'll look into that.
Dean Roddey
If I remember correctly, I am just using a standard Apple widget from their library to display Web content. Using HTTP protocol, how is the widget supposed to know when to refresh the image? Are you looking for a "reload" button like browsers have?
Wait -- maybe I'm confusing my two apps. I guess the RIVA app doesn't use the Apple Web widget, unless you are using the special overlay commands, which I think you aren't. So the Dean, do you know why my app would stop loading when the Windows RIVA client apparently works?
It still may not be your problem. I made another fix which will be in the next drop, so wait until after that before you worry about it. I may have not been updating the serial number, so you'd not have known it was changing.
Dean Roddey
Does the Windows RIVA client not check serial numbers, then?
Good question. I'll have to check that, to make sure it's not going back every time when it doesn't need to.
Dean Roddey
Give 4.5.8 a try and see if it works now. If not, we'll have to dig deeper.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Give 4.5.8 a try and see if it works now. If not, we'll have to dig deeper.
Did a quick check last night and it appears to still not update when changing overlays. When I switch pages there is a delay like it is getting it from the CQC server cache but the image is still the old one.

Unfortunately the weather page I use only updates every few hours so I was using this link as a test because it has a clock on it. http://www.centennialbulb.org/ctbulb.jpg

Seems to always just cache once on the iPad RIVA and become stale after that.(at least on my iPads).

Also it would be great to have a 1 minute refresh(reload) option on the Static Web Image Widget.