Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather jpg stops downloading after a few weeks
Seems my weather(static Web Image widget) on my iPad stops loading the latest jpg after a couple of weeks and pulls the image from cache only. Eventhough I have "No Cache" checked.

If I clear the cache on the iPad Riva client it gets the latest image. How does caching work on Riva? Is there a date component to the cache scheme?

Here is the jpg I load into the widget:
http://i.imwx.com//web/radar/us_nyc_metr...s_usen.jpg

I started up the windows Riva client to see it has the same issue.(Hope 4.5 is stable for 2 weeks Smile )

Thanks
Kevin
Was thing happening before, or only started after upgrading to 4.5? I assume before since there really hasn't been a few weeks since the 4.5 release. If so, then let's see how it does in 4.5 because the web image widget was significantly updated for 4.5 anyway, and if there was an issue it may be no more.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean Roddey Wrote:Was thing happening before, or only started after upgrading to 4.5? I assume before since there really hasn't been a few weeks since the 4.5 release. If so, then let's see how it does in 4.5 because the web image widget was significantly updated for 4.5 anyway, and if there was an issue it may be no more.

I had one Riva client jpg go stale yesterday after about a week so I assumed it was the same issue.

It has been happening for a few years at least and I was hoping that 4.5 fixed it. I didn't see any way to setup logging on the CQC servers end to see what the Riva client is/not requesting when the image goes stale. Is there logging someplace I can enable?
Not for that, no. Do the Windows RIVA client test and see how that goes. It will pretty much point the finger in either the client or the server direction, depending on how it goes.

Oh, but wait, you said one RIVA client. If you have more than one, and only one goes stale, that would almost have to be the client, since all of the image caching in the IV is shared between RIVA clients (since it would be really inefficient to let them all redundantly cache the same images.) Not a slam dunk but it sort of points that way initially.

But anyhoo, see what happens with the Windows RIVA client. If it also demonstrates the problem, it almost has to be on the RIVA server side. It could be the web image widget, but that's unlikely because it goes completely away when not displayed. It doesn't remember anything across invocations.
Dean Roddey
Dean,
OK today all the Riva clients showed yesterdays image. When I started up the native IV viewer it downloaded the new image from today (22 July). If I clear cache or restart the Riva client the old image is still downloaded. The widget has the 'No Cache" checked. It appears the jpg is getting cached somewhere on the server side for the Riva clients.

Here is the side by side windows Riva and native IV. It shows Riva with 21 July image and IV showing 22 July.
[Image: rivaweather.jpg]

Full JPG image if needed:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/...eather.jpg
What's the URL? I'll try it here.
Dean Roddey
http://i.imwx.com//web/radar/us_nyc_metr...s_usen.jpg
Oh, wait, I think I see the problem. The 'no cache' thing was taken too far. Instead of just applying to caching wrt to the web server, it was also preventing the image from being put into the IV engine's cache, but that's how RIVA clients get to the image. The IV caches it and stores a key on it. When it draws the image, that key gets passed to the RIVA client who comes back to get it.

I can't even see how it would have EVER displayed the image, since it never got into the cache to begin with. I'll have to figure that out as well. If it hadn't then I would have caught this problem to begin with.
Dean Roddey
I think I've got it taken care of. Check it after 4.5.7 goes out.
Dean Roddey
BTW, after this, it should be safe to turn caching back on. If the web server doesn't provide timestamps it won't matter. If it does, then it should still give us new data when the actual data changes, in theory anyway, and that would prevent unneeded image downloads since it'll only download if there's actually new data.

So, give it a try and see if it works ok. If so, then it's best since it's a lot more efficient. It'll still go to the server upon first opening a template that contains the web image widget, but while the widget is running it should then only download as actually required.
Dean Roddey