Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Sonos Owners
So the wife wants me to explore getting the Sonos Play Bar and accompanying pieces to replace my typical home theater.

We are getting ready to redo our living room furniture (tv stand/end tables), and nothing is deep enough to house a receiver. So to the owners of the Play Bar and anyone using Sonos as an HT, what do you think? Is it worth it?
I ended up with the Playbar, so I will see how it goes over the next few days. Initial impressions:

(1) It's huge compared to other sound bars
(2) I am very glad it has network passthrough
(3) Build quality seems legit
(4) I finally realized that SONOS is a palindrome (I was concerned that mounting it would make the word upside down Confusedhock: )
(5) Who the hell has optical cables these days?
Sorry, I was going to answer yesterday then got distracted by lunch ;-)

Yes, we love our Playbar, def. worth it.

It's been a bit tricky integrating it with the rest of my CQC setup though. It switches automatically from music to TV when the TV is switched on, so I didn't have to do any work there, but I've had to check the AVTransportURI (I think) to check if it's switched to TV before I run any commands like add the speaker back to a group.

There are a couple of new commands - night mode, and voice clarity - which would be nice if they could be exposed in the driver.
Well, I actually hooked everything up last night. And so far I am moderately impressed. It sounds pretty good for what it is, but it definitely can't compete with my Paradigm's. But, it looks like this is the way the world is turning, so I guess I can get used to it.

My TV will not pass a DD signal through the optical unless I am watching the HD direct via coax, so that really sucks. I would much prefer to have discrete channels instead of whatever mux Sonos forces on me, so that might be a new TV today. The LG models have AC3 passthrough in a hidden menu, so I guess we will see.

I am really (really) digging the Spotify/Pandora/Radio integration with the Sonos. Some things left on my todo list:

(1) on iOS, the Sonos app will open with a simple sonos:// in a browser. I want to see if I can have CQC pass just that to Safari on iOS so it would auto switch to Sonos if selected in CQC.

(2) i've already captured all 7 of my Spotify playlists which work via the ZP driver being passed with SetTransURI. now i need to grab Pandora and my favorite radio stations to do the same.

(3) Spotify/Pandora provide metadata, but the radio stations don't. since the URL's for the radio stations are unique, I am thinking one of those enumerated widgets and corresponding art for the station name so I can at least get some idea of what's on. ie, when I am listening to NPR, have CQC show a NPR logo.

(4) explore the TTS options with Sonos. use scenario: open windows, automatically turns off HVAC. if we manually adjust HVAC, have Sonos say something like 'Please close the windows'.

All in all, if I can get the AC3 passthrough working to the Sonos, I will be a happy camper.
Can I request an addition to the Sonos ZP driver?

When we listen to Spotify, the Sonos URI is always x-sonos-spotify-blah, and if Pandora, it is pndradio. I can enumerate my favorite radio stations, but could we add a field to the Sonos ZP driver that simply checks the URI and tells me whether Spotify or Pandora are currently playing? It could also go and check for typical http:// streams which are 'regular' radio stations. I literally mean a field that says Spotify or Pandora or Radio. Smile

Im thinking that in the absence of a solid way to grab the cover art, at least I could display the Spotify or Pandora logo.
Wait, nevermind. I think I can enumerate the art with the Field Mapped Widget and IsEqual on AVTrans and not CurTrack. The URI for AVTrans only seems to change on the playlist, so I think I can do what I want.
Sonos just arrived and works great with the Sonos ZP driver. (album art looks great Dean!!)

Question is what is the best practices for maintaining the many lists I will now need for favorite stations and URLs (list for each source: Pandora, Spotify, etc).

Read from text file and load up a browser widget?
Populate an array on load up of template?

Don't want to hardcode a bunch of icons to be pressed that I need to change every time I want to add a new favorites item(name,url-pair).

Thanks
Kevin
The driver will let you read the lists directly from the Sonos and load them into static list browsers to select from. Check the driver docs. You use a backdoor driver command to query playlists. They come in a double quoted comma list which you can load into a list browser. The first part of the list has the display names and the second has the values to select the stations. When you get a click, grab the user data runtime value and you send that back in to select that station.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean, probably doing something dumb but I cannot get that to work. Seems pretty strait forward:

Following the documentation:
Devices::QueryDrvText(MySonosMoniker, ListQuery, PLList, LVarTongueLLists)
MyListBrowser::SetDblBrowserList(%(LVarTongueLLists, "^1"))

I created a static list browser named SonosListBrowser and a command button to do the below but get nothing when I press command button.

[OnClick]
Devices::QueryDrvText(SonosZP, ListQuery, PLList, LVarTongueLLists)
SonosListBrowser::SetDblBrowserList(%(LVarTongueLLists, "^1"))

I can get Album art and other data from driver so pretty sure everything is working.
My Sonos hardware/software version:
Version: 5.4 (build 29591030)
Hardware Version: 1.17.5.5-1

Is there an easy way for me to see if the QueryDrvText call is returning data? is there a way to log or debug?
I just tested it too. It will only pull Playlists, i.e stuff under the "Sonos Playlists" category. It looks like that only works for music files, not stations and such.

Not sure if the API allows you to pull the other categories or not, like Sonos Favorites, etc. I tried to look that up but couldn't find any info on it. I think the Sonos App uses the UPNP protocol like everything else, but it might also pull info from the internet.

As far as your original question, the best answer I could come up with is to store that stuff in a stringlist field in the Variables driver.... You should be able to pull that into a list browser in some way.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sonos amp Dean Roddey 3 8,756 09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos going public? Dean Roddey 0 2,405 07-07-2018, 10:08 PM
  Scheduling next webinar (Sonos/TTS) IVB 6 2,481 02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Question on CQC / WSE 2016 / Port 443 kblagron 3 3,778 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM
  Uverse and Sonos kblagron 5 2,687 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
  Lutron adds support for Alexa and Sonos ControlFreak 2 2,367 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Sonos opens its platform to Spotify Connect and Amazon's Alexa batwater 14 4,305 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Sonos TTS potts.mike 35 6,273 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Last Post: batwater
  CQC Media Repo - Sonos potts.mike 15 4,142 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
  Sonos Opinions zra 51 9,078 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe