Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover Art Browser
In my \CQCData\Client\Data\MediaCache\MyHDAudio directory, there is only a MetaData,CQCReproDB file. There are no .bmp files.

I reconfigured the JRivers driver, and this is the log. It looks as if the data base load tread failed when it could not resolve the name of a *.jpg file.
The Album directory is "Odes and Welcome Songs, Vol.5", but the token in in the jpg name is "Odes and Welcome Songs". This has always worked before as I never detected this problem. Maybe the new database loader is less robust in the face of naming errors.

In all previous versions, if there was an error in the *.jpg filename (spelling mistake usually), then that image would be blank in the CAB so it was easy to find problems with new ripped tracks. It looks now as if a naminging error causes the loader to stop and no art is loaded at all. This will make it very difficult to debug any other problems with naming.

I will leave the names as they are for the moment to see if you can resolve the issue with the loader. How about inserting a "missing image" if it cannot make the resolution?

02/02 21:40:35-WINTERMUTE, CQCServer, CQCDrv_MyHDAudioThread1184
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3357, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' is beginning initialization
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3448, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' is trying to load its configuration
}
{
CQCMedia, JRDiskRepoS_DriverImpl.cpp.201, Status/App Status
Starting load of media repository from D:\JRivers\MyHDAudio.xml
}
02/02 21:40:35-WINTERMUTE, CQCServer, CIDOrbSrvWorkThread_1
{
CQCServer, CQCServer_DriverCtrl.cpp.164, Status/App Status
Reconfigure of driver MyHDAudio is completed
}
02/02 21:40:36-WINTERMUTE, CQCServer, MyHDAudio_DBLoadThread
{
JRDiskRepoS, MyHDAudio.xml.43664, Failed/App Status
CIDLib Exception:
ERROR: Could not normalize the path '\\WINTERMUTE\MyHDAudio\Classical\Purcell\Odes and Welcome Songs, Vol. 5\05 - Welcome, glorious morn (Birthday Ode for Queen Mary), for soloists, chorus & instruments, Z. 338- The mighty Goddess of this wealthy.flac\Purcell - Complete Odes and Welcome Songs.jpg'
}
02/02 21:40:40-WINTERMUTE, CQCServer, CQCDrv_MyHDAudioThread1184
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3448, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' is trying to load its configuration
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3486, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' has loaded its configuration
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3504, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' is trying to get its comm resource
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3543, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' has its comm resource
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3561, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' is trying to connect to its device
}
{
CQCKit, CQCDriver_DriverBase.cpp.3603, Status/App Status
Driver 'MyHDAudio' has connected to its device
}

PJG
It shouldn't be stopping if it hits something like that, though that's one hellavafilename. It's not catching exceptions coming out of the processing of the cover art files, pretty obviously.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Oh, BTW, in the new CAB you can set images for missing art and playlists. Not that that's a cure for this of course, just pointing out so that when you do have missing art you can control what gets displayed on a per-CAB basis.
Dean Roddey
OK, the issue with the JRiver driver wasn't that it wasn't catching errors from loading images. It was doing that. But the code that built up the path to load was up above the exception catching block, and it was that code that was croaking due to the crazy path. I just moved it down into the catch block and that should take care of that.

I also went through and got the 'no inertia' support back in place for all the widgets that should support it.

I need to make a few more small changes then I'll post a new drop.
Dean Roddey
Okay, I'm going to make one more plea for a vertical scrolling CAB, and then I'll just shut up.

The CAB used to support either u/d or l/r orientation. Apparently Dean has always used it l/r and only thought of it as such. I have always used it u/d (it works great) and was rather surprised when it started scrolling l/r in the last release.

Most large lists scroll vertically. Windows Media Player, iTunes, PS3, XBMC, Comcast DVR, web pages, e-mail, contacts. The only horizontally scrolling thing I can think of is the app pages on iDevices, but they are not really an unlimited number of items, just 10 or so carefully crafted pages of icons. Same with the Windows 8 "Start" UI.

I guess I don't know how hard the change would be. I assumed you could just add a flag to the CAB properties page, but maybe you need two widgets: HCAB and VCAB. If its to hard to maintain both orientations, again, I suggest you poll your customers and see which is more desired.

Thanks -- Bob

P.S. Here's a crazy idea: allow scrolling in either direction. If you pull your finger left you get new data from the right. If you pull it up, you get new data from the bottom. Designers could disable the one or both axes if they like (probably because they have scroll-to letters or next/prev buttons on the side or across the bottom which would make scrolling from that direction wierd).
Believe me, it never supported scrolling up and down. I would definitely know this. Before .903, it was purely page based. You could mark it not to slide but just to jump to the new page, but in that case it wasn't scrolling at all. Otherwise, it would slide left or right to the new page. It does slide new lists in vertically or open up the collections within a title set vertically, but otherwise moving through any list has always been horizontal, even if it wasn't obvious that was so if you had turned off the sliding.

All that .903 and up did was to make it non-page based, so that instead of moving a page at a time left or right, you now just scroll arbitrary distances left or right. Or, once I get .905 out here in a bit, the ability to turn off scrolling will be back and you could have it jump straight to the new page if you wanted, though it won't be nearly as cool looking.

The CAB is stupid complex, so if it were to change it would be permanent change to work the other way. I don't think I could stomach having to support both.

But, keep in mind that you also have to get between lists. Currently you flick up to move to the previous list you loaded. And, once you open up a title set to see the collections, you flick down to move back to the title level. So up and down are already used for those purposes.

I'm not sure that most folks would find it intuitive to move vertically through what is usually a horizontally laid out list, and to go horizontally to move between those lists.

Vertical would also be less efficient. Not horrendously so, but definitely less efficient, because the area that has to be redrawn for any movement is along the long axis instead of the short. And the new data that has to be loaded for any given movement goes up considerably as well for the same reason.
Dean Roddey
Yeah, I didn't say it supported SCROLLING up/dn. I just said it worked fine up/dn before you added scrolling. That is when the CAB became the HCAB. I guess it grew up and picked an "orientation".

Making it non paged based also choose an orientation. Perhaps you didn't realize this because all your layouts were already using the orientation that you chose. Not so for all of us.

Quote:I'm not sure that most folks would find it intuitive to move vertically through what is usually a horizontally laid out list, and to go horizontally to move between those lists.
Can you give an example of an app that has music laid out in a horizontal list? I have listed several that use a vertical list, but I can't think of any that use a horizontal list.

I guess as far as efficiency, it just depencts on the overall size of your layout doesn't it? If it is a tall/skinny list it would be harder to scroll horizontally than vertically.

Well, your obviously pretty committed to your orientation (and I don't hear anyone else clamoring for my direction), so I'll stop trying to make you go bi...

--Bob
rbroders Wrote:Well, your obviously pretty committed to your orientation (and I don't hear anyone else clamoring for my direction), so I'll stop trying to make you go bi...

--Bob

Well I for one certainly have vertically oriented lists for both the new CAB and the Advanced Media Browser. Maybe its because I am using older 4:3 touch displays rather than the more horizontally shaped 16:9. By making a wide horizontal template for the new CAB, I can recreate a single column list which is sorted vertically. The only problem is that to scroll the list up and down, I have to swipe left to right - hardly intuitive. The AMB scrolls u/d - what is the problem of giving the choice in the CAB?

PJG
The problem is that it's already extremely complicated, and allowing it to go either way, which also means the other types of (non-drag) movements have to go the other way as well, I just couldn't stomach it, at least not now. I finally got all of this new inertial dragging stuff stable after a huge effort, and ripping it back apart again just isn't on the agenda for the meantime. I have to move on to other things for 4.5.
Dean Roddey
Well I have created my single column CAB, only it does not do what I want. There seems to be no page mode, so when I swipe or flick horizontally, I usually end up with part of one column and part of the next. I cannot turn scrolling off either, unless there is some back door command that is not documented. In my layout I have set the CAB template to 80 pixels by 700 pixels. The CAB itself is 900 pixels by 700pixels. The Vertical and Horizontal spacings are both set to 0 as there should be no gaps between one copy of the template and the next.

Surly, even if you have a horizontal layout with several columns on the screen at one time, you should have an optional page mode, so that a swipe or flick always lines up a column with the left hand edge of the CAB.

PJG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cover Art Browser - Init Sort Order kfly 3 2,310 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Cover Art Browser - No Images zra 33 11,888 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Cover Art Quality? rbroders 26 10,757 06-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  Media Repo Item Browser error pinballmark 10 6,215 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  enable esc to close field browser bbrendon 1 1,698 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM