Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HA Progress 3.0
It certainly is. Attic access for top down, and basement access for bottom up. Open walls made things a little easier to tuck and staple, too.

All windows and doors, and I have a nice 6" chase from the basement to the attic (the old HVAC exhaust). Motion/Cameras will be a springtime project since I am done going in the attic through the winter. Smile I haven't put up a basement ceiling yet, so it's still wide open, and when I do it will be a drop ceiling for easy access. Shit, I went as far as leaving myself the ability to do panelized lighting/loads in the future if I ever get there.

Just about only thing I didn't do was wire for video and audio distribution, although I *did* prepare for wiring keypads in the future. Oh, and I didn't wire for shades which I probably should have done, but I can always try and follow the holes for my security wiring if battery power is a let down.

Audio/Video was a conscious decision since I really like Sonos and have pretty much settled on AppleTV 4K + Tivo for video in each zone. But I can always just drill up from the basement to get HDMI in the walls, and use the chase to run speaker wire into the attic.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Feedback wanted on the beginning stages of my new IV design. I am figuring layout and style, so keep that in mind since just about everything you see is a (correctly sized) placeholder and will get a nicer looking button at the end.

My goal: Simple and informative, with useful but limited control. These are intended for use with WebRIVA and the 7" rPi touchscreen with 1 in each zone. The buttons on the main page will be specific to the zone for the touchscreen.

A quick explanation of what is going on - The text is informative, so average the temp from the Netatmo units in the logic server, count the lights on, and count the blinds open.  The door lock is z-wave.  There will be 4 or 5 'buttons' across the bottom that will each render a popup which will be dynamic based on what (if anything) is currently happening.  Those buttons are slated to be the following:

- Favorites and Activities (Sonos and Harmony) + Now Playing
- Energy Usage and History (Brultech GEM)
- Camera Snapshots (simple JPG from each camera)
- Admin Control (for more in-depth things that aren't 'at-a-glance', primarily for me and likely password protected)

[Image: T0EzcUU.jpg]

[Image: lbE3kMd.jpg]
do the needful ...
Bear in mind that rounded corner widgets (unless they are images) won't work right in WebRIVA. That is one of the shortcomings of it. The clipping in the HTML canvas is so woeful that I just never could get that happy. Images always work of course since they don't depend on clipping, they are using transparency. But if you set the Rounding value up on something like those buttons, which you could do to create such things without using images, the little corners will be the wrong color.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Yeah, the above are just placeholders for me to get the look/feel/sizing. The final should have actual images as backgrounds to get around that.
do the needful ...
this little rPi touchscreen is great; it boots in about 20 seconds straight to Chromium.

now to figure out how to get the wifi to connect before the browser is up. Smile
do the needful ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,680 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 6,155 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 2,122 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Target's Home Automation Progress Target 67 9,892 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Target