Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HA Progress 3.0
rtarver Wrote:... and then I missed on the projector mount. Not because I calculated wrong, but because I did so for 2.35 instead of 2.4. Crap.

what does this mean; could you please explain in more detail?

i have read with the JVC that can do the simulated 4K you don't need a lens and can just use the zoom memory, is that what you're doing? any masking?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G
jkmonroe Wrote:... hopefully be able to tack it up tomorrow evening.

hahahahahah. yeah, no. :-D
do the needful ...
i lost the paint battle:

[Image: EriKRskm.jpg]

[Image: YWyEXpFm.jpg]

a light khaki, but at least i got a darker grey/blue for the screen wall. wife was worried about the black and resale, and i really can't blame her.
do the needful ...
some notes:

i broke the door to her craft room (yay, me!), and of course the 2 panel arch door is a special order, so that won't be here for another 2 weeks. which means that i can't tack up all of the trim until the new door is here (pre-hung), but at least i can start on the long wall.

also put in a new fence, and dug out a small patio in the backyard to prep for the kid's tower playset. so i've not been entirely idle, it just sucks having 2 large projects going at once. i absolutely hate lawn/yard maintenance (one reason why we bought townhouse), so i fought hard against grass, but i guess it's better for my son to play on versus those rubber chip things.

[Image: y5WIDwMm.jpg]

[Image: aQLBSMkm.jpg]

[Image: YLoT8OXm.jpg]
do the needful ...
i suppose for anyone curious, i should show what it was like before.

large tree, maybe 35 feet tall, and a really shitty fence:

[Image: vmcAd41m.jpg]

[Image: nyligaym.jpg]

if you notice the back left side of the fence, the yard sloped down behind where the tree was. i had to build a small retaining wall over there and fill with soil to bring the yard level. here's a decent shot of the fence level across the rear - you can see what i had to fill in:

[Image: QmhJgv3m.jpg]
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:what does this mean; could you please explain in more detail?

i have read with the JVC that can do the simulated 4K you don't need a lens and can just use the zoom memory, is that what you're doing? any masking?

My screen has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. As long as I'm projecting 2.35:1 or less, I can fill the vertical white area on my screen. If I shift to 2.40:1, I can fill the width, but not the height. That's with my zoom as far out as it can go. So, to have done it right I should have calculated the distance to fill the vertical with a 2.40:1 ratio. That would bleed onto the lateral borders a little bit, but I have wide borders that drink up light, so a little bleed is actually prefered.

2.35:1 fills the screen perfectly with about 1" of bleed if I want. 2.40:1 leaves 1" or so bands on the top and bottom empty. Less than 2.35:1 leaves bands on the left and right. Increasing as I drop aspect to 4:3.

4k is independent of the aspect ratios. I don't think my JVC can handle 4k, though my Oppo can upscale to 4k.

As for masking, no, I'm not doing any. That runs into cha-ching to automate. I have considered buying manual masks to convert from 2:35 to 16:9... two of the most common formats. As for memory, yes, I'm using memory positions to adjust both the zoom and shift. I have settings for 4:3, 16:9, 1.85, 2.35, and 2.40. Once I get everything connected; i.e. a repository and method to automate, I should be able to select a movie from CQC, and have it automatically drive zoom/shift based on the data in the repository. I noticed that Echo now natively integrates with Harmony.... so: "Alexa, set screen to 2 point 35".

From another thread, Dean suggests using a Roku to tie in the Plex driver. Possible, since my Oppo has an HDMI in. FWIW, I just saw the release on a new Oppo 203 something or another. 4k. Apparently it's slated to handle Dolby Vision HD and a bunch of other stuff natively. Sadly, they stuck with DLNA instead of moving to a bonafide UPNP.

I hope that answers the question.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
Thanks. It definitely is more than I can bite off right now, so 16:9 for me. Smile

Back to HA related stuff - the Harmony/Alexa integration is awesome!

"Alexa, Watch TV" or "Alexa, Play Sonos" both work, as does "Alexa, turn on the TV/XBox/Sonos".

You can name your activities however you'd like when you link the two, so it is possible now to make Hub activities for your Sonos like "Bedroom Sonos" or "Kitchen Sonos" or "Den Sonos" and get that natural speech. When you make a Sonos activity you default whatever playlist, so using Harmony it will always start with that.

As a bonus, since your remotes all sync with the hub, it gives you volume control since you can't do that with the Echo (until native integration next year).

And everything stays in sync - so CQC will see everything when using Alexa to start a Hub activity which plays Sonos.
do the needful ...
*sigh*

well, we moved. again. this time I figure it will be for the last time - we ended up coming back home so our son could be closer to family.

this house is a full on renovation - studs and subfloor - but we are coming towards the end. interior painting started yesterday, so another month maybe and I can get to the fun bits of installing and configuring everything.

protip: never DIY an entire renovation. Smile
do the needful ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,373 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 5,693 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 1,779 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Target's Home Automation Progress Target 67 7,394 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM