Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HA Progress 3.0
Why not a tray app like iTunes? We (as individuals) run the app which CQC talks to. Should get around the commercial stuff.
Well, we are a business. And, if we provide the tray app and the driver and the program that people are using to access them, that's not quite at the level of plausible deniability.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
No, but you aren't explicitly selling it, either. Regardless, the SDK is an aside; all that I would like to see is a metadata agent, which might be possible with the Metadata API, although I'm not entirely sure.
The metadata API is for looking up info, so it doesn't provide any information about what might be playing or anything like that. So I'm not sure if the twain could ever meet. And it provides so little info that it's not that useful even as a metadata source in and of itself.
Dean Roddey
That's what I am afraid of. I am trying to think of ways to keep it simple, and not force use scenarios when they arent necessary.

I haven't hooked up the playbar much beyond unpacking, but will CQC know what the Sonos is playing if it is started from the Sonos app itself? Methinks this might be a project for later ...
If you use the Zone Player driver it will show you the Sonos metadata that it has available, since the point of that ZP driver is to just integrate the player into CQC, but without CQC being the real control point. If you want to use the Sonos as a media renderer, you have to use the other driver, and in that case CQC controls the device and uses its own queue so it won't show you anything about what the player is doing.
Dean Roddey
Hrmm ... I don't really understand how the Sonos entirely works with CQC. So I just hooked up the Playbar and connected it up to CQC with the ZP driver, not the renderer. It looks like I am getting just about everything I want except cover art.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to send the Sonos driver some preset playlist URL's, and I would be all set!

Now that I think about it - since we have the 'track' URI for Spotify via the Sonos driver, I wonder if the metadata API will give us anything regarding cover art? Will explore after I finish cleaning. *sigh*
You create playlists within the Sonos. The driver allows you to query lists of of playlists, which you can load into a list browser to select from. You use the selected one to send a command back to the Sonos to select that playlist. It's described in the driver documentation.
Dean Roddey
I haven't gotten that far yet. But I don't use my own playlists; ever since Spotify started curating their own lists via the 'Browse' feature, I (quite literally) have listened to nothing but.

I have a few of their curated lists that I use regularly - one called Mood Booster for mornings especially. Smile

If there is a way to pass a spotify playlist via CQC to the Sonos, then 99% of my audio needs will be met.

Dean Roddey Wrote:You create playlists within the Sonos. The driver allows you to query lists of of playlists, which you can load into a list browser to select from. You use the selected one to send a command back to the Sonos to select that playlist. It's described in the driver documentation.
If you can configure such a playlist as a Sonos playlist, then it would work. Otherwise, it might not. One option, if you look at the driver documentation, is to capture the URI while it's playing. Sometimes you can feed this back to the Sonos to reselect that thing.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,469 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 5,895 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 1,893 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Target's Home Automation Progress Target 67 8,549 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Target