Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HA Progress 3.0
almost done making my 'quarantine' space. man, i hate taping up plastic but that drywall dust gets everywhere otherwise.

[Image: BTCXXWym.jpg]
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Don't forget to tape it to the floor or else it'll sneak through. I put up reams of plastic when I tore down a wall, I found dust everywhere. I neglected to tape it to the floor in a single 4 foot area, and the vast armies of the underworld attacked.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
i did the best i could, but must have missed a couple of seams.

[Image: 2c12259a8e8c8cf30a0c711529c8687c3e71a8e8...7983d8.jpg]
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:yes! i was actually looking all over AVS for that guys stuff. he has that really cool interlocking mechanism for the corners to make your screen rigid and smooth. but holy shit are they expensive - literally 3x over an Elite or Silver Ticket. Confusedhock:

i'm not breaking the bank on the screen right now, just a basic 120". it will pair with a W1070 thats been sitting in a box and my Paradigm speakers in a 7.1. i will have very good light control, so hopefully that will help.

and im actually going to be trying out something new (to me) for my surrounds by using dipoles. so the side surround dipoles will send their in phase woofer towards the LCR and the out-phase towards the rear wall. the rear dipole will match them, so the out-phase points to the out-phase of the side surrounds and the in-phase to in-phase between the 2 rear surrounds. does that make any sense?

Yep, definitely went up some in price. I think I got mine a few years ago for 60-70% of his going rate. I did pay an extra $80 because after he shipped I decided I wanted a larger screen and return shipped his. I had to pay the extra shipping and the upgrade differential too. But... very happy with the product. Framing is incredibly rigid. Screen mounting is great, and the velvet is super dark. I've been considering his screen blankers to convert my 2.35:1 to 16:9 for the occasional movie that's not 2.35:1 or higher.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
hmmm ... so you have a 2.35 screen now? which means you would be doing CIH to switch. would you need a panamorph for that?

im not going to futz with it now and just go 16:9, but ive been giving some thought to how to best migrate to 2.35 in the future.
do the needful ...
my first screen was just some material from Dazian, and a cheesy wood frame...
worked perfectly...
worked perfectly up until it turned yellow from too much smoking/tar/tobacco/etc and I tried to clean it...

my current el-cheapo screen is the same old wood frame, (and dazian as I just covered over it) and the gray spandex from spandex world that was recommended on the AVS diy screen forum...I never would of thought spandex on my own...
I personally do not recommend that... I should of just got more of the Dazian stuff
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
And you are ready if you ever get a last minute gig as a dancer as well.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
so it looks like almost all new Blu-Ray discs are coming with the Atmos tracks. im glad I wired for it, but now I am reconsidering my 7.1 plans and am thinking perhaps I do 5.2.4.

i could run LCR and SS's on the same plane using stands for the side surrounds, and then do simple in-ceiling speakers for the height/atmos channels.

the atmos speakers dont need to be anything special, so ill just order up some basic Monoprice in-ceiling instead of splurging for Paradigm.
do the needful ...
finally got around to getting everything cleaned up and dusted down. put on the PVA primer coat, so it's starting to look like an actual room!

[Image: vsnS8Kam.jpg]

the screen wall - was at Joann Fabric today trying to figure out what to do. definitely going with velvet, but trying to figure out how much. at $30/yd and needing like 44yds to do the ceiling, i think it's too expensive. i have a 50% coupon, so i may still do it, im just thinking of other ideas. maybe do 4 3'x3' panels on the ceiling in front of the screen wall in velvet, drape the velvet from ceiling to floor behind screen (12' wide), and then paint the rest of the ceiling area a flat black. if i do it that way, i will probably use 3.5" trim as a border, painting it and inside of it black. make sense?

[Image: 5WXA42Qm.jpg]

and one more for good measure.

[Image: vEHQhu4m.jpg]
do the needful ...
You could use pitch black paint for some areas until you can justify the cost. I did that for the home made wood furniture, worked great.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,679 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 6,154 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 2,121 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Target's Home Automation Progress Target 67 9,886 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Target
  Finally some progress froop 3 1,562 07-14-2008, 06:02 AM