Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HA Progress 3.0
Just remember that zwave and UPB require hot, neutral and load in the gang box.

I'm 98% UPB, 1.95% Hue and .05% X10 (shop area only, 2 sockets). UBP has awesome flexibility. I'm using 100% Simply Automated equipment.
yeah, thankfully im all good with wiring. neutral in every box, and yes, i checked before buying. :-D
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
after a year or so, we finally got around to working on the basement! An entire unused floor of our townhouse dedicated to storing our spawn's extra toys and the typical seasonal accoutrements. It was laid out to have a rec room, a 4th bedroom, 4th bathroom, and a walk-in closet:

[Image: BkoKeUrm.jpg]

[Image: 43ZbVEim.jpg]

[Image: 1rhmgMmm.jpg]

[Image: SGMIlgsm.jpg]

So we toyed around with the idea of converting the bedroom into a theater room, but in the end decided that the space would be better served opened up as a large media/entertaining space. My wife wanted to have a craft room, and I wanted to have a nicer office space, so away we went!

[Image: bUkJygrm.jpg]

Once we had the walls down we had a much better feel of the space so we could start to figure out what we wanted to do. The idea was to make a craft room for my wife at the front of the house so she would have a window, the main space would be a simple hybrid media room with a projector setup and a gaming table, and in the rear (not in pictures) would be my office. So I laid out the plan to get rough distances and we got to work.

[Image: XClJkdRm.jpg]

[Image: FMQvwYPm.jpg]

Framing went up quickly, and I had a chance to redo the circuits for the basement and run the necessary cables for the projector and equipment stand. You can't see in the photos, but there is a storage room behind the wall at the foot of the stairs that houses our seasonal storage and my equipment rack for security, networking, and home automation. AV equipment will live in a low Ikea Besta/Lack type of stand under the screen.

[Image: 9McDFlFm.jpg]

[Image: LQ1BGu2m.jpg]

[Image: yqLYFzgm.jpg]

I left some of the drywall open so I could finish running the wires. I am fully wired for 7.2.4, but I highly doubt I will ever get that far. Power and HDMI are wired, I ran 4 cat5e to the stand, a cat5e to the projector location, and a cat5e between the stand and projector. I also ran a 1" PVC conduit between my equipment room and HVAC closet that has the chase going to the attic. I put up 7 recessed lights, leaving a spot where the screen will go to help with the screen brightness. There is 14/2 going to the spot where a can should go in case I decide to put up a retrofit fixture in the future.

[Image: YIIIbWcm.jpg]

[Image: xGrPhV8m.jpg]

And the small craft room for the wife was boxed in and drywalled. It's not the largest space, but she likes it - about 7' deep and 11' wide.

[Image: GpbDVZ9m.jpg]

Friday will be mudding the second coat and sanding the drywall, and then burying the plumbing fixtures that are still sticking out of the floor.

Over the next couple of weeks I need to order the screen, ceiling mount for a projector, and some speaker stands. Fun times!
do the needful ...
That would be my music studio, end o' story.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
120" of Dora the Explorer is in your future, I guarantee it.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
As long as it's not Daniel Tiger, I'm OK with it. Big Grin
do the needful ...
"Say backpack....."
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Love to see home projects like this. I don't know where you're headed for cinema equipment, but I can vouch for this guy's screens. He was fairly new on the market when I purchased and pricing was pretty good. Haven't priced lately so don't know if he's still competitive. I think his story is/was that he just couldn't stand the prices of the 'big guys' screens so started sourcing screen material and bought his own aluminum extruder. I've been pretty happy with mine. I have no affiliation with him other than owning a 12' version.

http://www.falconscreens.com
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
rtarver Wrote:Love to see home projects like this. I don't know where you're headed for cinema equipment, but I can vouch for this guy's screens. He was fairly new on the market when I purchased and pricing was pretty good. Haven't priced lately so don't know if he's still competitive. I think his story is/was that he just couldn't stand the prices of the 'big guys' screens so started sourcing screen material and bought his own aluminum extruder. I've been pretty happy with mine. I have no affiliation with him other than owning a 12' version.

http://www.falconscreens.com

yes! i was actually looking all over AVS for that guys stuff. he has that really cool interlocking mechanism for the corners to make your screen rigid and smooth. but holy shit are they expensive - literally 3x over an Elite or Silver Ticket. Confusedhock:

i'm not breaking the bank on the screen right now, just a basic 120". it will pair with a W1070 thats been sitting in a box and my Paradigm speakers in a 7.1. i will have very good light control, so hopefully that will help.

and im actually going to be trying out something new (to me) for my surrounds by using dipoles. so the side surround dipoles will send their in phase woofer towards the LCR and the out-phase towards the rear wall. the rear dipole will match them, so the out-phase points to the out-phase of the side surrounds and the in-phase to in-phase between the 2 rear surrounds. does that make any sense?
do the needful ...
I think getting a basic one to start is smart. There are tons of different options, sizes, etc. Get one thats not too much, then in 2 years if you decide not to move then go buy a super nice one.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,861 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 6,388 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 2,298 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Target's Home Automation Progress Target 67 11,359 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM