Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 5.0 thinking out loud
Dean Roddey Wrote:In the end, if you have radically different aspect ratios, you will have to take some sort of different approach. One common one is to make a set of templates that will fit an overlay that is almost all of the screen on the smaller screens, and which sits beside a side bar in the wider screens. Then you'd only have to either scale to fit that (basically always the same shape) overlay or allow the contents of that overlay to scale.

With some combination of these three strategies, it should be pretty reasonable to minimize the effort. If all the wide A/R base templates scale to fit full screen, then you only need one wide base template and one non-wide, and the non-wide would have very little on the base template itself so there should be minimal replication. And then the meaty stuff would be loaded into the overlay which either scales or scrolls.

Yes - this is the way to go. I am modifying my house templates to have a single, simple base with a central, horizontally scrolling overly into which all the important stuff goes. There is always the difficult issue about not being able to have a button in an overlay template that loads a new template into the same overlay. So if you need a set of buttons on the base template to load different rooms or media players, then those buttons must be outside of the main overlay area. When I get a bit further along with implementing all the new stuff, I will post my ideas in the user section.

PJG
pjgregory Wrote:There is always the difficult issue about not being able to have a button in an overlay template that loads a new template into the same overlay. So if you need...

Wait, I do this all the time (if I am understanding what you need). In the template loaded in the overlay if you use IntfViewer::LoadNewTemplate the currenly loaded template is replaced with a new template.

As an example, I have a status screen that I load in an overlay that is 800Wx504H, I tried using a 1600 pixel wide template and the faux gesture support on a single touch screen, but the delay for the right click (set by the screen/driver) was too obnoxious. So I broke the status screen into two pages and a button on page 1 loads page 2 & VV.
Mark Stega
He may have meant to say another overlay. If so, that's doable as well, using the special 'load sibling overlay' command.

The whole 'right click to do something' thing is tricky. We could of course just do away with that allow regular gestures to do that sort of thing. But it does raise the important concern of a casual brush across the screen maxing out your theater volume, or opening the shades while you are in flagrante or some such thing.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:The whole 'right click to do something' thing is tricky. We could of course just do away with that allow regular gestures to do that sort of thing. But it does raise the important concern of a casual brush across the screen maxing out your theater volume, or opening the shades while you are in flagrante or some such thing.
Well, what would happen on a multi-touch enabled screen? I think that needs to be the gold standard as almost all significant devices and many new PCs are equipped with them...
Mark Stega
It's up to the application as to how to react to things. So presume you could find apps that do it either way. Of course we could take the approach that, if it is something really important, that you could just do your own 'are you sure' dialog or something like. The dangerous scenarios, outside of industrial environments I guess, would be the very much exception.

We could let the handful of widgets for which this is an issue (the draggable value setting ones) be configured to work either way depending on what it controls, but that would lead to inconsistencies. It might be better to just do a confirmation popup in those cases where it is important. Since it would be user logic, it could also only bother to check if the value is above some suspicious threshold.

Still, with a phone in your pocket and all of the bogus stimuli it could be subjected to, it would not be that unbelievable that you set something and hit the confirmation button as well.

Oh, and I guess also the per-user type limits could be involved. Two of the affected widgets already support that. We could add it to the others, of which I guess the (newly as of not too long ago, writable progress bars) would be third and only other one I think. Then you could limit how far something could be changed, worst case.

Anyway, I'm happy to do what works best for folks. I just figured it was best to be conservative on value setting operations.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
When you come to look at scaling, could you also have a look at all the different image widgets. The Static Image and Static Web Image widgets both have an image options panel which allow you to scale and fit the image in various ways into the widget size. So I only need one *.png image file and can already use it at different scalings.

However, the other image widgets do not have this option, so if I use an enumerated, logo or boolean image widget, they will only display fixed sized images, so I have to keep multiple copies of the same image to make things work properly.

PJG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Version for XP znelbok 1 2,083 06-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  VRCOP/latest CQC version? IVB 47 13,745 01-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Last Post: George M
  Rolling back version dogman 6 2,560 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Version 3.0 preview Dean Roddey 9 3,837 06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  UPB Status Error in Beta Version 2.4.26 Forefront Technologies 0 1,522 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Forefront Technologies
  Driver version checking robolo 11 5,486 09-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Last Post: robolo
  Latest Version dirtracinfan 11 4,920 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Last Post: ellisr63