Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Google Hangout - More on Mobile Voice Control
I'd like to get people's opinion on the time for the next CQC webinar. I have two times in mind. First, the standard 12am EDT (9am PDT) on Saturday August 24st. That is the weekend before Labor Day (for those in the US). EDT is -4 GMT for those that need to convert the time to something other than US based times.

Alternatively, I would like to get people's opinion on doing it at 10pm EST (7pm PDT) on Tuesday August 27th. The idea here is to give people in other parts of the world the opportunity to participate at another time other than the middle of the night. We had a test call at this time and it worked better for some of our international users.

If Ben can attend, I think we will plan on talking more in depth about the technique used to have voice control of your CQC system using Android phones. IVB started this, but Dean has since updated CQC to make this process easier, and I believe Ben has been researching on the new technique and is the most qualified person to walk us through the process. And that is exactly what I want to happen. Let's get into the weeds on how to implement this in a person's system. I have not started this at all, so it would be neat to walk through the process on my system as Ron explains it. That way we ensure we cover all the necessary steps and also uncover any "gotchas" along the way.

Please post if this would interest you and if so, which time works better for you. We will plan on recording it again so that it is available for everyone in the future, but it is nice to have a handful of people on the call to get other people's ideas and also be able to answer people's questions too. The more people we have participating, the more likely we are to answer common questions that people are going to have.

Thanks!
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
I think that would be a great topic to start with. Try not to go off track too much so that it becomes a great resource for future users to watch.

I think you need to check your dates. I have Saturday as the 24th and Tuesday as the 27th in my calendar - at least for August.

My preference is for the 10pm EST, but anything from 7pm to 2am suits my time zone (+10 GMT).

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Saturdays are always simpler, but I might be able to make Tuesday work.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Thanks Mick - not sure how I got the dates wrong, but I have corrected it now.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
Sorry for the delayed response, I was camping with my Wife and Dogs this weekend, off the grid entirely... Confusedhock:

I think I can make either date work though Tuesday would be better.

We can do a run through on the voice control. We might want to consider breaking this into pieces though to keep it to a reasonable length. There are 3 major pieces to this in my mind:

1. Planning what you want to control via voice and how - Key words, parsing structure e.g. designed in such a way that you don't need a 1 to 1 mapping of keyword command to an automation event result by using a variable driven control structure. This is a logical layout, pseudo coded if you will.

2. Programming of CQC to handle the command processing received. Again, the challenge is to do this in such a way that you have logical processing blocks, e.g lighting, audio, video, HVAC, that allows for fill in the blank. This is where the rubber meets the road so there will be a more explicit control structure.

3. Programming of the Android device for voice control. Goal here is natural speech patterns that are flexible and yet precise enough to achieve the desired end result. How you tell the system to do something might be different from your Wife / Significant Other which may be different yet from your kids or house guests. Ideally all can be accommodated (Star Trek like voice control of the computer magic perhaps but we can shoot for the gold, yes?)

I'm open to thoughts on where to start...

Since our focus right now is nuts and bolts how to things we could start with CQC with an emphasis on the HTTP get processing setup, glossing over the planning piece, which could be done on the forum in a how to post or 5 (I'm still working through the how to right now). I can still go into the basics of my thoughts on command processing since I am still framing my command structure up. We could then have another session on the Android device programming.

The benefit of starting with the back end stuff is that it is "trigger" platform agnostic and can be used by anything really, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, browser, etc and thus appeal to a wider audience. The other benefit is that you can test everything via browser commands.

Again, I can adjust and go in whatever direction the collective will would like to see and frame up the other parts around wherever we start.

Let me know...

-Ben
Sounds good Ben. Let's go with the Tuesday date since that works best for you and we really need to try to include some of our international users too. Of course that date and time might not work for everyone, but that is why we will record it.

I'll create an event for this on the CQC Google+ community and send out invitations.
Brian

I'll make time to be on it. I'm not interested in the topic, but I'd be amazed if I didn't learn something so I'll be there.
--Kill all the serial ports--
In our trial run, i learned to be aware of whats on the wall behind me, and that my kids drawing actually looks very strange if projected via webcam :-)
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I may have to be on a plane then and would love to join/listen. Any chance of recording it for those that can't make it?

Currently I have a project that hasn't been brought up here in years, but am contemplating it and voice control would help. I'm about to buy a car without a decent Nav/Music integration system. I've been toying with a CarPC mostly for voice commands or an Android tablet (mostly for better GPS). Not so amusingly if I go the Android route the car will still have a PC for running active crossovers to the speakers and controlling the sound which now makes me think perhaps CQC could make a neat front end for it.

I realize my goal is unrelated, but the voice command portion would be critical for it triggered off a "voice button" on the steering wheel.
We can/will record these hangouts now. Actually it is built into the Google On-Air hangouts (which are a little different from the normal non-recorded hangouts).

The first hangout was recorded and a link posted in the CQC Google+ group. I plan on doing the same thing for all the hangouts we have.
Brian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 3 494 02-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Google Play Music integration sic0048 1 466 12-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 3,816 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
  CQC Voice Use cases IVB 20 3,761 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQC Voice Mics other than Kinect/Acoustic Magic IVB 2 895 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
  Mic for CQC Voice and other misc Q's znelbok 15 4,771 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQC Voice zane 3 2,115 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM
  Fonts, mobile devices IVB 5 1,649 08-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 1,894 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 4,641 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson