Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Androids with IR blasters
I picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for my kids to take on a week long summer trip and while I was setting things up yesterday, I noticed an app on there called Smart Remote. This sucker is really quite cool, integrating IR blasting, a nice graphical program guide and it appears to support more complex systems. It is a one-way system which means most people here will not like it but that digresses from my point here.

Could Riva have an IR blaster syntax added along with a way to configure the IR in the Admin Inteface? I understand that the android client would need to check if IR support was available and process these commands but the other end seems more important to begin with.

It would be important that the client check for support of IR blasting as I do not believe my phone supports IR blasting although I have never tried.

Russ...
The RIVACmd command can already be used to pass in platform specific commands. It just requires that the RIVA client implement them.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I was thinking that it would be best to implement a mechanism to leverage the IR schema you have built into CQC. If we end up with custom templates that seems extremely complex over time.

Russ...
Whether that would work or not would depend on the form the IR data has to be provided to the blaster on those devices. If it would accept Pronto type format, you could query the data for a given command for a given Device Model and send it via the RIVACmd or something. But somehow you'd have to get the IR data in your actions invoked from the template and send it to the RIVA device to transmit.
Dean Roddey
That is actually my concern. I do not want to have to do templates that keep track of every device in every room that the tablet or phone can be used. It makes more sense to have the IR schema handle the data (in whatever format it needs to be in) then the template handles the rest based on which device is being controlled.

Russ...
But you would still like to be able to press a button on a template and have the device send out an IR code, right? Dean's saying that the button press would be handled by the CQC server which would then have to send back a command to the Android device and have it somehow send the signal out via the built in blaster.

There is no "local action" in CQC. Everything is done at the server level as far as I know....
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
In a RIVA client that is true. There is no local action, other than the special case RIVACmd. Somehow the Android client has to do the blasting. Only it would know how to do that. So the command has to be handled there. Someone has to know what to do, and only the templates, as designed, could possibly know what needs to be done.

So, somehow, the actual templates generated would have to contain the smarts as to what devices it's needing to deal with at the moment, as it currently does with device control in general.
Dean Roddey
I think we are agreeing. I just want CQC to be able to tell RIVA to send the IR and the tablet decides if it knows how to do it, can support and does it. I do not want the template to figure out the IR code for Power On for a Sony.

In my mind there are two parts, one in CQC, one on the tablet in RIVA.

CQC needs to manage what to send and send a command to RIVA.

RIVA needs to take that command and process it if able.

Russ...
I'm not sure how CQC could figure this out on its own. How would it know what Sony model you have and what command means power it on? I don't see how you could get out of, in your template, saying I want to send this particular IR command when this button is pressed, any more I guess than you can get out of saying (when using the field interface) I want to write this value to this field when this button is pressed.

Of course you do refer to IR commands by symbolic name when using IR in CQC, and I could allow Android/iOS clients to download IR device models if they want to, so you could just send it something via the RIVACmd like "Send the command for MyDevice.Power" similarly to how you tell an IR blaster now to send a command. The client could look I it up and send that command.
Dean Roddey
I understand what you are getting at. I am trying to conceptually come up with a way that I would use this. I would prefer that there not be if's to see if the requestor is a RIVA client.

I guess this is not a huge requirement as my thick clients would still need to be able to control things so the RIVA client could use the same pathway. I will have to think further on whether I really would have a need to control something IR via a tablet that would not be controlled through the thick client.

Russ...