Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class: SceneCtrl
The Lutron GraficEyes are limited to a single scene at a time. It seems that there are two things going on. One is a scene group that is exclusive (So for a given room if I set Scene2 then it replaces the existing scene in that room), the second is a controller that can support multiple groups of scenes, The lighting system that XLNT was trying to support in Europe is an example of that. So it seems that to be successful that these are what needs to be modeled.
Mark Stega
So, looking at this more...

There are what are sometimes called 'scene controllers' that, from CQC's POV, only really exist to make CQC send out an event trigger, usually a Usre Action. They don't even have any fields, they purely drive an event trigger. They may be intended to scene controllers within their own system, but aren't necessarily being used for that when triggering CQC to do something.

Both Lutron RA2 and Z-Wave have these types of controllers, maybe some others. Devices that have keypads that can trigger CQC would probably fall into the same category.

I don't think that those have to be involved in the V2 world at all, and aren't applicable for this device class, it would probably be good to call them something besides scene controllers. Maybe 'actuators' would be a better term.

It might be nice to create a new event trigger type specifically for that type of thing, instead of using the generic User Action trigger which is not standardized. Either that or standardize their use of the User Action event trigger.

Anyway, maybe a better option for this device class would be to consider it's fields as representing areas where a scene can be controlled, and you write a scene name to it to set the scene in that area. And maybe, for the sake of consistency, we do as suggested above and just have writing to the field be an 'invoke scene' command and that's it. Any level settings would have to be part of the scene.

So something like:

SCNE:Kitchen
SCNE:LivingRoom

They would either allow the user to indicate the names of the available areas, or get them from the device, or hard code them if relevant.

The fields would be enumerated string type. The enumerated limit values represent the names of the available scenes. If only numbered scenes are available they can just be Scene 1, Scene 2, etc... If naming is supported they can be Party, Reading, etc... So the limit would provide the available scenes for each area, making it easy to present a list for selection generically.

That's probably abstract enough to be supported widely, in single room or multi-room systems.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
In the insteon world scenes have two states on and off, write-able only.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
But that doesn't sort of make sense. Only one scene can be active in a given area at a time, right?

Even if not, this scheme will still work. Though in theory the names represent an area where scenes can be invoked, you could just as easily configure it so that each 'area' is really a scene, and the available 'scenes' are Off or On.

Users of the device class interface wouldn't really need to know or care. It would be a little weird, but the interface would still work for both scenarios, and provide the required control for either type of system.
Dean Roddey
Living in an Insteon house is full of delightful randomness. In Insteon a scene is a one way command. So there is no concept of "active" no way to tell what the last scene was or even if it succeeded. An On indicates, set all the levels to whatever an Off sets the devices to 0. It's basically a (small) step up from X10.

But yeah I guess your scheme would still work the driver would just need to create two CQC scenes for each actual Insteon scene.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Just one would do. As I was saying above, each of them would have available 'scenes' of Off and On. So just write one of the available scenes to the 'area' field, which is really a scene, and the driver respond by turning the scene off or on.

So the field SCNE#Scene1 would be an enumerated field whose limits are "Enum: Off, On". The limit defines for clients what the available scenes are for that 'area'. So Off and On would be presented to the user to select.
Dean Roddey
I'll go ahead and update the first post to reflect this, since it seems a lot more reasonable and generally applicable that my first attempt.
Dean Roddey
Simply Automated UPB has scenes as well. I don't have my head wrapped around it well enough to engage in this conversation yet. Will have to review.
SA UPB has something similar to switch grouping that they call scenes. You can join any number of UPB devices together and name them as a scene. Each device can then be set to a default dim level or on/off state. You can then program any multi-button or single button UPB device to control the scene. THe UPB button can be programmed as typical on/off or as a dimmer. All loads connected to that scene would act accordingly. A device can be a member of multiple scenes, so it can get confusing very fast.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
For this device class, off and on would probably be about all you could do, Though, there's nothing stopping the driver from setting the field limit to something like Off, On, Low, Medium, High, and treating the latter three like pre-set dimming levels for the scene or something like that. The scheme is pretty flexible for stuff like that.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Class: Thermostat Dean Roddey 17 4,044 01-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Class: Irrigation Dean Roddey 8 1,317 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
  Class: NowPlaying Dean Roddey 8 1,301 09-23-2014, 02:01 PM
  Class: Switcher Dean Roddey 9 1,429 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM