Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 4.4 Beta Release Thread
Did something happen to SystemTonguelayWav during this release cycle?

My doorbell doesn't work anymore....

I call System.PlayWav from a global action.
It may be affected by the same thing that affects TTS in the background these days, that the audio output settings for the user account logged into by the service are apparently considered foreground session only things and they aren't set in the background.

We had to move TTS over to a driver for background output because of this issue. It may be that PlayWav suffers the same thing, because it would use a default audio output set in the user account.

Are you running the global action from the background or foreground? If it's the background, did you by any chance update the OS in the meantime or something? If it's from the foreground it should still work fine.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:It may be affected by the same thing that affects TTS in the background these days, that the audio output settings for the user account logged into by the service are apparently considered foreground session only things and they aren't set in the background.

We had to move TTS over to a driver for background output because of this issue. It may be that PlayWav suffers the same thing, because it would use a default audio output set in the user account.

Are you running the global action from the background or foreground? If it's the background, did you by any chance update the OS in the meantime or something? If it's from the foreground it should still work fine.

Ok, after a little more troubleshooting, it doesn't have anything to do with PlayWav.

The problem is I do a field read of a count down timer to keep from re-triggering on doorbell button bounce. Then, I did a system compare of the result with "0". Now, the timer read returns "0x0" and breaks my test.

I have other countdown timers that may also be broken in the same way.

Is this a bug or a new feature or ???
That was an unfortunate, but necessary change. It ultimately avoids a lot of inconsistency and confusion on the part of users. It's one of the color marked items in the changes list, that it might be something that could require an adjustment.

The problem was that, if you attempted to use the results of a time field in an action that treats it like a number, it would come out as a hex value, but without a hex prefix. So the conversion would fail when the action attempted to turn it into a number to process. This had bitten a lot of people over the years. It was just inconsistent that it wouldn't return a valid number. So this change was what was required to make that go away, that time fields, when formatted to text, include the hex prefix so that they are legally convertible back to a number.

Sorry about that, but it's for the longer term greater good and consistency.
Dean Roddey
jkish Wrote:Did something happen to SystemTonguelayWav during this release cycle?

My doorbell doesn't work anymore....

Hey!. You think you have problems. Our Kitchen has been overrun with mice since I updated to 4_3_928. I think something must have gone wrong with the action command "IntViewer:NoChildMouse(True). Maybe the logic has got inverted.

PJG
pjgregory Wrote:Hey!. You think you have problems. Our Kitchen has been overrun with mice since I updated to 4_3_928. I think something must have gone wrong with the action command "IntViewer:NoChildMouse(True). Maybe the logic has got inverted.

PJG
Funny, I too was overrun with mice a few weeks ago, then they disappeared. I discovered a very happy 5' or so black snake in my basement. CQC was no help, I had to catch it using a blanket. It was more effective than mouse traps.
Mark Stega
I had a black snake in my attic earlier this spring. You could hear him slithering on the drywall ceiling (that is how I knew to go look for it). I never could catch it because it would go to the outer edge of the roof where it was just too tight to try and catch it. CQC was of no help for me either. :-(

It eventually left (lack of food and water I'm sure). I found several snake skins in the attic, so I suspect it goes up there to shed. Rubbing on the blown insulation probably makes the job go quick.

I just dread the day my wife hears it again......
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Try a 12 Gauge, much more effective than CQC. Specially if the wife would like to repaint the ceiling.
Version 4.3.930 is posted. Just more fixes for wee issues reported.
  • The overlay should send an initial OnScroll (with zero positions) upon load of a new template.

• Change the OnScroll event that was just added to overlays so that the percentage positions reported are relative to the whole width of the scrollable content, not to the maximum position to which it can be scrolled. Currently, in a 1500 pixel content displayed in a 300 pixel wide overlay, the max scrollable position is 1200 pixels and that's what is currently being used to calculate the position (so the 2nd page is 300/1200.) But, it probably is more natural and obvious to users to use the whole 1500 scrollable width as the denominator. That means you will never see 100%. The last displayable page will be some amount less than 100%, in the example above the last page would be 80% (1200/1500.)

• During the changes related to inertial scrolling, I mistakenly broke gradient background fills. Any widget with a gradient fill has to always redraw the whole background (even if all but a wee bit of it will be clipped by the OS), in order to insure that the part that does actually get redrawn will have the right alignment of the gradient. The requirements for scrolling involved changing the way background fills were done and I failed to remember this gotcha.

• In retrospect, the 'percentage velocity' stuff added to the overlay a drop or two back is not something likely to be very easily supportable by all platforms, moving forward towards a new RIVA, with everyone using their own native scrolling support. Reduce that back to just a single 'page mode scrolling' check box, so you either do page oriented scrolling or you move by the actual velocity sensitive scroll amount. That is something all clients should be able to support easily enough and still meet the original requirement that drove that feature being included.

• There is a small bug in the PNG support code. When writing out a palette based PNG image, with a transparency color set, the chunk header for the transparency chunk isn't getting written out, resulting in an invalid image file. So the image will import ok, but not show up when viewed back in an interface because the file is getting munged when stored up to the image repo server.

• An exception during gesture handling, which can happen if the gesture causes an action, is not being caught and so can bring down the IV.
Dean Roddey
Version 4.3.931 is posted. Just a few small trailing bits. No one seems to be complaining so there seems little reason to wait for the 4.4 release. Anyone one to speak now with any issues that need to be fixed?
  • There are some drawing quirks on the field browser dialog that need to be fixed.

• While we are in the field browser, go ahead and update it to allow it to be resized, since it's often clipping longer field names and with the V2 stuff those names are even longer now.

• Update the driver selection dialog so that the window that shows the device classes isn't a list box, so that people won't get confused and think they need to select something. And spiff it up a bit more as well.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.5 Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 8 330 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.5 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 2 154 07-07-2019, 11:28 AM
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 43,813 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,843 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 154,279 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 8,261 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 89,559 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 9,031 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 200,257 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,880 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM