Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Android app (auto-gen based)
MikeA Wrote:Will this Android app work with user designed and built templates?
The point is for the user not to have to design anything... Wink
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
If anyone wants to play around with the source, here is what I have so far. Obviously this is pretty early days. I'm not trying to make it look super slick yet, since it would probably be wasted effort at this point. Mainly I'm just concentrating on plumbing and getting basic functionality in place before moving forward further. This one supports lights and weather.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa...130422.Zip

This is just a zip of my source tree. Nothing fancy. There are two projects. GWClient is the low level stuff that wraps the XML GW server interface. CQCAndroidC is the app level stuff. Just import them and set up the app level one to depend on the GWClient one.

Don't go crazy adding features to it or anything. I don't have the bandwidth at this point to accept a bunch of source and try to make something of it. But if you want to play around with it and possibly offer some suggestions as far as architecture, efficiency, etc... I don't even know how to package it up yet for installation on a real machine honestly, since I don't have one. I'll figure that out later.

The basic deal is that you come up on a login screen. Enter your info and hit the connect button. If it works, you'll get a list of rooms. Select a room and you go to the home screen, which for now is just a couple of buttons. Later it'll be some nice icons. Currently there are buttons for lighting and weather. Pick one to go to that area of functionality.

The button in the common header on the right takes you back to the login screen where you can pick another room. Obviously there needs to also be a Home button up there as well to take you back to the home screen without having to select the room again. I'll get to that here soon.

There is a common activity class GWActivity, from which all the other activities will be derived. It manages a background thread that does the actual work. As long as you have surviving activities, it'll keep the thread alive. If you want to stop it, go to the login page and hit the disconnect button to stop it. If your app gets pushed out of memory and all of the activities go away, it'll also of course stop the thread.

Certainly at some point there'll need to be some sort of source management if it's going to be open source, but I don't have time to deal with that right now, so I'll just provide new drops when I have them. I'll probably set up another thread for those drops, as I do for CQC drops, and leave this one for discussions.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I built the APK for anyone interested, just get it from:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4082...droidC.apk

I couldn't test the actual connection, I'll need to ask batwater to forward the port 13509 and possibly to get the XML GW server going if he isn't running it already... Wink

As for code management, you can use this for now (using GIT):

https://bitbucket.org/Fonceur/gwclient
https://bitbucket.org/Fonceur/cqcandroidclient

It's supposed to be public, so you probably just need to create an account to be able to contribute...

EDIT: Fixed the folder within folder issue from my initial commit...
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
Anybody played with this guy at all? If no one is really interested in something like this compared to using the generated templates via RIVA, I'd rather put my time towards a 2nd Gen RIVA architecture probably. Maybe the new ability to finger swipe sort of undoes the primary advantage this guy would have, I dunno.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Anybody played with this guy at all? If no one is really interested in something like this compared to using the generated templates via RIVA, I'd rather put my time towards a 2nd Gen RIVA architecture probably. Maybe the new ability to finger swipe sort of undoes the primary advantage this guy would have, I dunno.

I installed via the .apk linked. It works well, but my system is using the Insteon PLC so don't think I can get lighting going with the autogen stuff. First impression is that it seems more responsive vs RIVA and I Like the native feel and scrolling in the weather screen. I personally would like to see this go further, but not sure I could use fully without doing some customization to screens. Would that ever be part of this or autogen only? BTW, I'm using a galaxy Note on Android 4.2.2 (non stock ROM). Let me know if you want anything in particular tested.
As long as the driver marks dimmers and switches with the appropriate semantic field type, it should work. Does the driver provide boolean switch fields and range based cardinal fields for the dimmer loads? If so, it could easily be updated to work correctly. If it does it some other way, it won't.
Dean Roddey
Dean,

I haven't played with the app yet as I don't have an android tablet but I see this as being able to really open up a second product line. Decide on reference hardware (nexus 7?) and a few canned drivers (lighting, HVAC, etc.). Then sell the admin interface and other bare minimum software to tie it all together as a CQC light. Use this to "set the hook" and then offer the chance to upgrade at any time.

If your not interested in that at least open up the auto gen stuff to limited theming.
Dean Roddey Wrote:Anybody played with this guy at all? If no one is really interested in something like this compared to using the generated templates via RIVA, I'd rather put my time towards a 2nd Gen RIVA architecture probably. Maybe the new ability to finger swipe sort of undoes the primary advantage this guy would have, I dunno.
I am... I am just waiting till I get my screens made for my current setup.
tia, Ron

My Go Big or Go Home Retirement HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, (4) JBL 8340As, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, (2) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, )2) Furman rack conditioners, (2) Danley DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), 2 Crest Audio CM2008 8 channel amps, and (3) Parasound Zamps.
potts.mike Wrote:Dean,

I haven't played with the app yet as I don't have an android tablet but I see this as being able to really open up a second product line. Decide on reference hardware (nexus 7?) and a few canned drivers (lighting, HVAC, etc.). Then sell the admin interface and other bare minimum software to tie it all together as a CQC light. Use this to "set the hook" and then offer the chance to upgrade at any time.

If your not interested in that at least open up the auto gen stuff to limited theming.

Yeh, we definitely saw it similarly. Though, there again, one could ask whether the generated interfaces plus a more 'nativized' RIVA client would be a better solution overall? I could always provide a simple configuration utility that let them pick from supported gear, then generated the room config, and then generated the templates, and they could use the RIVA client.

I guess the benefit would be that an installer coming in later to upsell them could just pick up with the existing generated templates and customize them, whereas with the app I've been working on, it wouldn't provide a base for customization at all really.

So, it's sort of a hard call to make as to what would be best. I guess part of the answer depends on how long it would take to get to a RIVA 2. It wouldn't be trivial by any stretch of the imagination. It would be pretty brutal, and on top of that would depend on other folks to catch up to it get support at least the iOS version. And, worse, I don't think I could reasonably support old RIVA clients in the new version because the change would be so radical. So it would be a fairly big step to take, during which time there'd be no RIVA client at all for a while, then only a C++/Windows one for a good while longer, then an Android one (if I did one) a while after that, and an iOS one at some point if at all.

Otherwise, it may require an intermediate step of getting the existing RIVA client to work in terms of the changes on the backend required, before then moving forward, which would be a lot of work just to support something that is interrim, and it still leaves the issues of availability of the new one.
Dean Roddey
I would think that is would be best to keep RIVA 1 around and alive as long as possible while completing parallel development on RIVA 2. You would then have no gap between offerings. I do not know if this is possible.

I do think that it is fairly critical to have the ability to port an existing customized interface to a new system, without the continuous need to always start from scratch. I also believe that it is critical to have an open type interface design ability.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android RIVA Client: taRiva Fonceur 1,062 162,991 05-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: kfly
  native scroll for android client pasha 14 9,478 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  android app burkepaol4 1 7,369 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  10 android burkepaol4 4 8,375 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM