Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Android app (auto-gen based)
OK, after a lot of poking around, it looks like a primary culprit is that the default JVM heap size is 385MB, which just isn't enough for anything non-trivial. So apparently it was getting into an unending memory shuffle and locking up. I upped it to 2GB, which hopefully will give it some breathing room and so far it appears to have made a nice difference.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
It looks like this was contributing to some of the slowness of the emulator getting started up and such.
Dean Roddey
Oh well, I take all that back. All it apparently did was just put off the problem longer. It's like the thing is too stupid to garbage collect or something and just fills up the heap and then starts struggling, I dunno. Switching off the graphical view to the XML view for a bit seems to help restore it for a while.
Dean Roddey
Here's a bug report that continues up until Feb this year of the same sort of issues.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=30737

No apparent resolution though.
Dean Roddey
I've had lots of problems with Eclipse and the ADK manager over the years. Google has saved me every time, but still annoying nonetheless.

I don't have any runaway CPU problems that I know of though.

Dean, are you getting into Android apps in a more general way? If you can produce a few with ads, then you might find it a useful somewhat more steady income to supplement CQC's sales swings.
I'm beginning to think it's just the layout manager getting confused over certain types of layout arrangements. I'm going to try changing the layout of the weather screen I'm working on and see if that helps. It really started at that point I think.
Dean Roddey
I've never really bothered working with the graphical editor in Eclipse, I just edit the XML file and switch to the graphical view to validate from time to time... Wink
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
That does help, but I think it was definitely just some specific layout settings that were freaking it out. I changed it and it's acting happy again. Given that every view has 50 settings, many of which interact, I'm not shocked that it chokes on some combination or another.
Dean Roddey
Will this Android app work with user designed and built templates? It seems to be fairly 'hard wired' to the auto generation, simplistic template approach.
Specifically, right now I use an RDP program on whatever device I am using to interact with my templates. My actual CQC UI always runs on my CQC server.
My primary device is an iPad, but I can also use an iPhone or Android phone to remotely access the UI via RDP.
I tried RIVA, but my main issue is browsing my extensive movie library is just too slow, esp. with the caching limitations on the iPad/Iphone platforms (not sure how this manifests itself, if at all, on an Android RIVA platform). With RDP is is essentially instanteous.
Have you tried the RIVA stuff lately? A lot of speedups have been provided.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android RIVA Client: taRiva Fonceur 1,062 141,075 05-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: kfly
  native scroll for android client pasha 14 8,559 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  android app burkepaol4 1 6,919 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  10 android burkepaol4 4 7,773 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Last Post: burkepaol4