Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native Android app (auto-gen based)
Worked - A few small items, but overall on the way to being a nice application.

Small issues;
1. The security keypad worked but the Arm/Disarm button placement was strange and labeled incorrectly in landscape mode
2. Weather icons worked well in portrait mode but not in landscape mode. Horiz flick did work in portrait.
3. Top menu worked well including flick however needs to be larger. It is difficult to make a selection with fat fingers.
4. Music worked well.
5. Lighting dimmer sliders work well however the button or indicator to the left of the slider does nothing.
6. Overall speed and responsiveness was great.

Overall - This will be a nice application.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
The light button will only work if you either select an on/off switch, or a simmer and on/off switch. Otherwise, it should be disabled.

What was the deal with the weather icons in the landscape mode? Since they are arranged horizontally, I would have figured they would just all be visible generally in landscape mode. But anyway, what didn't work?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:The light button will only work if you either select an on/off switch, or a simmer and on/off switch. Otherwise, it should be disabled.

I typically do both. The switch goes between 0% and 100% and the slider does the rest

Quote:What was the deal with the weather icons in the landscape mode? Since they are arranged horizontally, I would have figured they would just all be visible generally in landscape mode. But anyway, what didn't work?
See below

[IMG]http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-10-18-54-08_zpsa146b077.png][/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-10-18-54-28_zpse6a45248.png][/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-10-18-54-43_zps5303fb00.png][/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-10-18-54-58_zps8a61215d.png][/IMG]

(you really need to open the board up to allow attachments directly! This is a huge PIA.)
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:I typically do both. The switch goes between 0% and 100% and the slider does the rest

Did you enter both a switch and dimmer for the lights in the room config?

On the other things. some of those may not get fixed in the short term since they will require probably totally different layouts in order to work. Currently the landscape is really more for tablets, which have sufficient vertical resolution, not for low resolution devices on their sides. Coming up with a totally different set of layouts will be a lot of work, so I would save that until after I have the functionality all in place and well tested. Even then, it means any time a change is made it would have to be made redundantly and tested multiple times, so it's still a pain.
Dean Roddey
With HAI, if the light is just on/off, I am only offered the (name)_State. If the switch is a dimmer, I am offered (name)_Value. In no place can I enter both, although if a dimmer, both should be available.

I must say that this interface works well. In about 15 minutes tonight, I had 80% of my lights set up and running. I have not tried multiple Droids connected at the same time, but plan to.

Also, just an opinion, but you are now close to a "Home" page with the room selection list on the "Login" page. I think I would work on splitting these two items - Login goes to the login page and is always available and the "CQC" label in the upper left goes to a "Home" page or selection menu to select the area in the home that you want to control. Just a thought for a future version.

Also, however that ends up, you should duplicate that in the main page generator for large touchscreens.

And finally, add some more themes or some sort of style sheet utility into the mix.

Nice work so far.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Yeh, in this case it's an Omni driver limit, it doesn't provide both a dimmer and on'off field. But, it's a little heavy in a system that can have so many loads defined, to have both. Some of the standardization coming up can probably deal with this by providing a standard InvokeCmd command to turn dimmers off/on without having to have a field. That command is there now I'm pretty sure, but not in a generic way that could be used without the app having to understand the specifics of devices.

Having different styles is the same issue as above. Every one of them requires a completely separate layout. In theory, their separation of interface from implementation should make it 'easy' to do this, but in fact it's a huge PITA, and the more of them you have, every one of them will have to be modified and tested if you make any changes, which will be very tedious and time consuming. And of course you have to duplicate every screen, so the more of the you have, the problem grows exponentially.
Dean Roddey
I've updated the first post with version 2013/08/22. This version is updated to work with the changes as of 4.3.921. It now only works with the V2 driver architecture version of media renderers as well (the only driver types really formalized under this new scheme so far), as does the auto-generation system as well. So you will need to update your media renderers to the V2 versions once you move up to and beyond this version.

I've done a thread with discussion of the changes involved here:

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...hp?t=11146

This update mostly just gets it back to where it was, but working with this new stuff. The only improvement is that, now that we have fully standardized media renderers, it can now know what the playback state is and can use a Play/Pause checkbox instead of two separate buttons.
Dean Roddey
OK, I've got the app updated for the changes in .923, but that also required making some more changes. So I'll put up a .924 and a new version of the app tomorrow. In order to help out the third party renderer driver writers, I undid some things I'd done in the previous beta drops, and that required making various other changes in order to do it, and I made some improvements while doing that.
Dean Roddey
I updated the first post with a version compatible with 4.3.924. Hopefully there won't be any more required changes on the way to 4.4.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:I updated the first post with a version compatible with 4.3.924. Hopefully there won't be any more required changes on the way to 4.4.

Dean, I'm getting a "page not found error" when I click on the zip URL link.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android RIVA Client: taRiva Fonceur 1,066 317,841 01-04-2019, 04:52 AM
Last Post: kfly
  native scroll for android client pasha 14 14,711 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  android app burkepaol4 1 8,926 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  10 android burkepaol4 4 10,744 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Last Post: burkepaol4
  Android client ? willplaice 33 37,863 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Fonceur