Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set up a "asterisk" phone system with an Obi ATA
Not sure how I stumbled across this thread but talk about perfect timing. I started out with an Obihai 110 with google voice and a set of 3 Panasonic cordless phones which works great other than the odd reboot every now and then. Since then I have added an incrediblepi and 4 Cisco 7970 phones (a real bear to get registered but once thats done a really nice phone). I have two lines registered to it (Home and Home Office) the home line being the GV line however I can only place calls ad not receive. This I am attributing to my setup on the Obi as when the obi is powered down I can receive and send. I would like to setup my obi to use my extension - How would I go about doing that and then finally I have a Bogen door bell (ADP1) that I would like to have ring on a button press which I am told I can do by setting up an extension and plugging in the Bogen to the FXS port on my Obi and pointing it to the extension. Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Are you using PIAF (which is what I think you meant when you said IncrediblePBX) for your Google Voice trunks, or are you still using the Obi for that?

If you are using the PIAF, then I would see if you can factory reset the Obi and then use one of the accounts to be an extension of the PIAF system.

To do this on the PIAF side, simply choose Extensions and General SIP Extension. Put in the name and a extension number and a password. That is about the only thing you have to do.

On the Obi side, choose SP1 (or SP2) and put in the same name as the trunk name. Check the box to use this line for primary calls, and put the PIAF server's IP address in the "Service Provider Proxy Server" setting. I also put the PIAF's server address in the "Outgoing Proxy Server" setting. Use the extension number for the "User" and the password in the "Password" setting.

That should be all you have to do to get it to work as an extension off the PAIF box.

If you are still using the Panasonic phones, then you probably need to get another Obi device to hang the Bogen Door bell unit off of. You can give it another unique extension. If you have a Obi202, it has 2 FXS ports so you can hook both the Pansonic phones and the Bogen Door Bell to the Obi202 and still assign them to different extensions. But the Obi110 only has one FXS port, so you cannot have two extensions
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Brian - Thanks for the quick response. I had the OBI 110 setup using google voice and the Panasonic cordless phones working before I started fooling around with my asterisk setup. I am using an incrediblepi to run 'incrediblepbx' which is PIAF specially setup to run on the incrediblepi. I tried setting up a GV trunk on my asterisk setup which went smoothly but I could only dial out. Incoming calls would only ring on the cordless phones, which I assumed to be happening because the Obi was intercepting the call before it got to the asterisk server. When I disconnected the Obi I could receive calls on the IP phones.

My next attempt was to set an extension up and setup the obi to send calls to the extension. I never could get that to work though. In the mean time I picked up an OBI202 (and bluetooth adapter) for $75 (I love your Sig by the way :-) ). Anyway, long story short I would like to have use of both cordless and IP Phones working and once that's done work on the doorbell. Your description sounds straight forward (a lot less configuration than I was doing the other way).

Thanks Again for the time and hopefully I can report back of getting my setup working successfully.

Paul
Paul - I suspect that the original Obi is still set up to run GV from that box which is why it worked weird when connecting it to the Pi. This is also why the system works when you remove the Obi from the situation. I'm not sure if there is a factory reset option on the Obi, but that would be the best way to ensure the it stops trying to handle the GV trunk and allow the Pi to handle the GV trunk.

The good news is that if you are going to move to the Obi202, then you can just set it up as an extension from the beginning and it should work fine. Actually you'll set it up for two extensions. One for the Panasonic phones, and one for the door unit.

Let me know if you have trouble setting the Obi up when you get it and we'll walk through it.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
How to Set Up Multiple Lines for Outgoing Calls
One nice feature about using a digital system is that you can have multiple lines available to use to call out on. Perhaps you have a home line as well as a business line that you want to have access to at your desk phone. Perhaps you have people that simply like to talk on the phone and you need more than one line to accommodate everyone one (although depending on your service provider, you can like have more than one phone call active at a time on a single DID). Whatever the reason, it is pretty easy to accomplish.

First, you need to set up your trunks for each of the services/DIDs you are using. For example, I have a GV line for both my home phone as well as a part time business I have. Prior to installing the PIAF system, I just had the business phone roll into the GV voice mail system and it would email me the message. Now however I would like to be able to answer those calls as well as place outbound calls on the business line.

There are two ways to set this up. Both work fine and you may find yourself using a combination of the two.

Dedicating an extension to call out using the business line trunk
For phones that have more than one line (as discussed earlier), it is easy to simply create another extension on the PIAF system for each phone that you want to use the 2nd line on. For example, at my desk phone, my main extension number is 103 and it normally used my GV main home phone number. I created a new extension in the PIAF system and numbered it 503 (but it could be any unused extension number). Then I registered the 2nd line on the phone by using the 503 extension number and password. I also want to name the extension in the phone's naming field something like "Business Line" so that it is clear to the user what this extension is suppose to be used for. Now I should have two extensions available to use on my phone, but that doesn't automatically make the 2nd extension work with the business phone line. To do that, we need to modify the outgoing route for that business line.

[Image: 46162caf-22a4-417a-aa75-d75edb256137_zps7fd4660b.jpg]

First, we need to add the dial patterns just like we would on any other trunk. In this example, I added the normal 7 and 10 digital dial patterns as well as the long distance dial pattern. However, notice in the "Caller ID" column I added the extension number of all the extensions I want to direct dial out of this route/trunk. I added two extensions, 503 and 504, in this example just to show how you need to duplicate all the dial routes for each extension.

Second, you need to choose the business line for the trunk that you want this route to use. That is what the arrow at the bottom of the page. So you need to have already set up your trunk for the alternative service/DID that you want to use.

Lastly, we need to make sure this outgoing route is placed in the proper sequence of all outgoing routes. If you look to the far upper right corner, you will see the list of all outgoing routes. In this example, I have the business line as well as my main home phone. We want to make sure the business line is above the main home phone number. That is because the PIAF system will work through these dial patterns from top to bottom. If you recall, the regular home phone route has basic 7 and 10 digit dial plans along with the toll free dial pattern. If the business line was placed below the home phone route, the dial pattern made from extension 503 would match the home phone dial pattern because it doesn't care which extension it comes from. If the dial pattern matches, it will go out that route. By placing the business line above the home phone line, any calls being placed from any extension other than 503 and 504 will not match the dial plan in the business route (because the extension doesn't match) and the system would continue on to the next route which is the home phone route and it would match the dial patterns of that route.

One note - there really needs to be an emergency call route which is set up with a dial plan with 911. But this was set up on a demo system strictly for screen capture purposes and I left it out. Although in theory did doesn't matter the placement of that emergency route - because no other call route should have a dial pattern of 911 - I always place it on top.

Keep in mind that you will choose the extension on the actual phone prior to dialing. For example, the phone sitting at my desk defaults to extension 103 which will dial out via the normal home phone number (because it won't match the dial patterns of this route because it isn't using extensions 503 or 504 and therefore the system will go on to the next outgoing call route and check those dial patterns, etc). But if I press the 2nd line button (labeled "Business Line") on the desk phone, it will use extension 503 which will dial out via this business line instead of the home phone number because it matches these dial patterns and the system will use the first trunk it finds with matching dial patterns.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Dialing a prefix to call out using the business line trunk
If your phones don't support multiple lines, or if you simply want the ability to call out on the business line trunk from any phone, even if you haven't set a 2nd extension on that phone, we need to modify the outgoing route to support a dialing prefix. A dialing prefix is a set of numbers that you would dial before dialing the actual number. On many of the old PBX systems, you had to dial a "9" prefix to get an outside trunk. This will work in the same way. I wouldn't recommend using the number 9 or any single number. I would use something that you would never dial at the start of a real phone number - like 999 or something like that. 999 is what I am going to use in this example.

Since we are not creating a dedicated extension, there is nothing that you need to change on the phones themselves. In fact, the only change we need to make is in the dial patterns of the business line outgoing call route.
[Image: 9e67f072-27a2-43fd-a2c4-6f1f2a4ab087_zpse37a609e.jpg]

This time we are going to use the "Prefix" column and type in 999 into every dial pattern we want to use with the trunk. Please note that prefixes are dropped out of the equation by the system prior to making the actual call. But now to make a call using the business line trunk, a person simply need to pick up ANY phone with ANY extension and dial 9995551212. This will initiate a call to 1-864-555-1212 using the business line trunk. Also keep in mind that the placement of the outgoing route in relationship to the hierarchy of other outgoing routes is just as critical with this technique as it was for the dedicated extension technique. (PS - I dropped the 504 extension dial patterns in this screen shot simply to make it all fit. If you wanted to use a extension 504, you would need to included it back in the dial pattern)

The advantage to this technique is that it works on all phones/extensions. The disadvantage is that the user must know they have to use a dial prefix to place a call on that trunk. With the dedicated extension, a person just picks that extension and dials the number like normal.

Incoming Call Route
You'll also want to set up an incoming call route for the business line. The biggest thing to think about is where you want that incoming call to be routed. Perhaps you still want it to go directly to voice mail. I have incoming calls on the business line set to ring at extension 503 (my desk phone) with a different ring than my home trunk users and then roll into voice mail if there is no answer. This way incoming calls on the business line can be answered directly, but they don't bother the rest of the household. By using the unique ring tone, I also can easily tell when the call is coming in from the business line.

Wrapping it up
Hopefully this all makes sense. I've ended up using both of these techniques for my business line. I have the phone at my desk set up with dedicated extensions for both trunks, but I have also used a dialing prefix so that I can use any phone and still dial out on the business line. Incoming calls on the business phone only ring at my desk phone and then get rolled into a business voice mail.
Brian

Ok Brian - set up Obi 202 as discussed and strange things are happening. With OBI connected to an analog phone I can ring in and get the ring tone on the connected phone but not on IP Phone. In my asterisk setup I have it temporarily setup for IVR on no answer and it goes to the IVR on no answer. I can dial out from both IP and analog phones. Please see attached obi setup.

Thanks,

Paul

sic0048 Wrote:Paul - I suspect that the original Obi is still set up to run GV from that box which is why it worked weird when connecting it to the Pi. This is also why the system works when you remove the Obi from the situation. I'm not sure if there is a factory reset option on the Obi, but that would be the best way to ensure the it stops trying to handle the GV trunk and allow the Pi to handle the GV trunk.

The good news is that if you are going to move to the Obi202, then you can just set it up as an extension from the beginning and it should work fine. Actually you'll set it up for two extensions. One for the Panasonic phones, and one for the door unit.

Let me know if you have trouble setting the Obi up when you get it and we'll walk through it.

Attached Files
.zip   Obi202.pdf.zip (Size: 64.49 KB / Downloads: 1)
Painter - are you trying to set up the GV connection through the Obi or did you set up a GV trunk on the PIAF system? I'm not sure which way you are trying to accomplish this from your post.

If you set up GV via the Obi, it is a much more complicated method that requires a lot more steps than just setting the Obi up as an extension off the PIAF system. This would explain why incoming calls are not getting to the PIAF system.

If you set up GV through the PIAF system and you are experiencing these issues, then I would look at your ring group. What extensions do you have listed in the ring group? Make sure you have both the Obi extension and all other SIP phone extensions. Also, double check your incoming call route and make sure you have the "Destination" set to that ring group.
Brian

sic0048 Wrote:Painter - are you trying to set up the GV connection through the Obi or did you set up a GV trunk on the PIAF system? I'm not sure which way you are trying to accomplish this from your post.

I originally started out doing that but your explanation was way less involved so i decided to setup GV on PIAF and then setup the Obi202 using the extension I had setup.

sic0048 Wrote:If you set up GV through the PIAF system and you are experiencing these issues, then I would look at your ring group. What extensions do you have listed in the ring group? Make sure you have both the Obi extension and all other SIP phone extensions. Also, double check your incoming call route and make sure you have the "Destination" set to that ring group.

I have two Lines setup on my phone Line 1 (Home Office Ext 301) rings to a ring group Ext 301(Office),401(Den). Line 2 (Home - Ext 1001 Obi). I have my Inbound route for GV going to Destination = Extensions <1001>. The plan is to set up a line (Ext 1001) for each phone in the house (5) and have Destination = Extensions <1001>

Does this make sense? I'm almost there, I can feel it. Then I'll tackle the doorbell ... one thing at a time.
........ HOLD UR HORSES ......... Like magic everything now seems to be working. Not sure what I did but it now seems to be working, maybe it was a reboot when I unplugged and moved to a new location.

Thanks Again for your help.

Stay tuned, Doorbell is next.
Oh Well, back to the drawing board, spoke too soon. Rings on analog phones only. Analog phones can call and receive. IP phones can call but not receive. I'm stuck. :confused: :-( . Receiving calls with no answer goes to PIAF Voicemail. MWI indicator is lit when there is a vm. When deleted MWI turns off. So it seems I'm missing a setting somewhere as PIAF handles certain things and not others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting up a HW RAID system IVB 10 8,977 03-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Last Post: klindy